Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Pepsi ads

Author Topic: Pepsi ads
Keith Richardson
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-1999 08:44 AM      Profile for Keith Richardson   Email Keith Richardson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone else been getting stupid Pepsi ads to put on before the movie? And, have you been getting them on time? I just got a shipment in of them and these were the first to come on time! The pepsi ads for the Acade,y Awards came on the day of the awards. And I got another copy for something else that had already happened. Either Pepsi isn't on the ball, or the delivery company sucks. Maybe both?

|  IP: Logged

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-24-1999 02:18 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have stupid Coke ads.. What company do you work for? I haven't run across that many theatres (at least in my area) with Pepsi...

As for the Coke ads, they usually show up a day or two befre they need to be on the screen... So it is usually a week before they make it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-24-1999 02:57 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I think most theaters play the "stupid Coke" ads. They can't be any better than the "stupid Pepsi" ads on arrival time.

Some of these companies need to realize (including the studios) that we don't just drop the trailer into some kind of magical bucket and suddenly it plays, but a bit of work is involved to place that trailer into the roll of film. I'm speaking specifically of the movie trailers that come in Friday at 5:00 right alongside the trailer checkers. I do my trailer change-outs on Wednesdays (I think most people do) and if a trailer isn't there on Wednesday, it can wait. What about everyone else?

As to advertisements on the front of movies, it's turning the moviegoing experience into a giant TV. People are paying to come see a movie non-stop and especially without commercials. Kudos go out to Buena Vista and Warner Bros for their policies banning such nonsense!!!

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-24-1999 05:19 PM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If memory serves, MGM used to be against ads on their movies, too. Wish they still were. If I owned a production studio, the first thing I'd do is ban ads on my films!
As far as trailer placement, I have to have an acurate trailer report turned in to my manager by closing time Wednesday. If a trailer doesn't arrive till Thursday or Friday, tough luck for that studio as far as I'm concerned. They'll have to wait till the following week. In my opinion, what the trailer guy at Home Office wants takes precident over what the trailer checkers want. Trailer checkers piss me off (forgive my language).
As for coke ads, you know how they tell you to keep the old one on till the new ones arrive? Well, the new ones are almost always a couple weeks late, so forget that! I take those lame things off the day the flight ends!

------------------

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-26-1999 08:35 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just got our new Coke R.S.A.'s a week early! (Old ones = "Death Slug" -- New Ones = "Brian Reagan "Take Luck".) I usually don't have much trouble getting these things late.

As far as getting trailers on the screen,my motto is: "I can't play what I don't have!" I agree, If they don't get it to me on time, they'll have to wait till next week.

Keith Richardson
Film Handler

- posted 07-27-1999 09:32 AM      Profile for Keith Richardson   Email Keith Richardson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I don't know why all of you people have coke ads, I just guess that everyone suppliers are coke, where as all the theatres I've ever been to in New England deal with pepsi (probably because Pepsi is closer than the local coke plant) But, anyway, I'm glad to see that people still have trouble with ads, Pepso pr Coke or whatever.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-28-1999 10:14 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where are you guys getting Coke and Pepsi trailers?!? Is this something that chain theatres get but independents don't? The only Coke trailers that I ever had were a "Snack Canyon" Coke trailer which I bought myself, and a "New Kids on the Block" Coke trailer which I found on a reel of old trailers that someone gave me (this was _perfect_ for midnight shows!).

Bill Langfield
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2003 09:06 AM      Profile for Bill Langfield   Author's Homepage   Email Bill Langfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you guys (in the US) compliaining about ONE ad (be it Coke or Pepsi)??

Where I live, people (patrons even) expect Slides/ads/trl's adding up to around 15 minutes.

Even allowing for the 15 minutes, they still show up late. These people are called 'late comers' over the two-way.

I hate changing the ads from one film to the next every week, but the ads & Val Morgan do pay a few of the bills.

BILL!

DONT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE. JUST NOTICED I GOT SUCKED INTO REPLYING TO A THREAD THAT IS YEARS OLD. SEE BRADS OTHER MESSAGES ABOUT IT.

BILL.

Ray Bernardi
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2003 09:47 AM      Profile for Ray Bernardi   Email Ray Bernardi   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I own an independent theatre (1 screen, 100 seats) and I've never seen these trailers either. When the print arives, it usually has the trailers on it already. I assume the last place that showed it left them there?

I'm still trying to get a handle on this business and the way we handle trailers is something I think I need to look at.

We typically change trailers on Friday when we swith movies. Why is it that most people do it Wednesday?

Erika, can you shoot me a copy of a trailer report so I get an idea of what someone who has a clue is doing?

Sam Hunter
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2003 10:27 PM      Profile for Sam Hunter   Email Sam Hunter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like collecting coke items and ads are my bag. If you want to let em go just let me know [Smile]
Yeah I know Brad, why?

Jason Black
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-01-2003 11:50 PM      Profile for Jason Black   Author's Homepage   Email Jason Black   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ray,
I'll shoot you a copy of what we use. The reason most folks use Wed. is presumable due to the fact that they are all mainly in multi-plex theatres that handle multiple (4 or more) changeouts on Thursday. Having all trailer packs pre-built greatly reduces the amount of time spent building both the trailers AND the prints on Thursdays. Plus, it gives you more time to inspect the condition of your print(s) as they are built.

As for your prints arriving with trailers already on them.. do you mean your prints have normally ONE trailer attached, or more than one? It is very typical for most distributors to add a single attached trailer to the head of the print...

Damn.. I got snookered into replying to a topic 3 years old.... WOW....Brad, who was it that was trying to up post count? I can see now why it's a PITA, but I also see that it stimulates old topics that I, for one, would never have taken the time to go back thru and read.. [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: