Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Collecting 35mm Film

Author Topic: Collecting 35mm Film
Thomas Ferreira
Film Handler

- posted 07-23-1999 11:10 PM      Profile for Thomas Ferreira   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Ferreira   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Looking through forums such as these, and in publications like The Big Reel, I see a lot of people offering complete 35mm prints for sale-some are recent, some are vintage, but how do collectors get a hold of these prints in the first place? Do the studios sell prints to collectors after the run is finished? If they do, how much do they generally run, and how do collectors make the connection? As an aside, I've always wondered what happens to the 2500+ prints of a major release when the theatrical run is over-are they dumped in the Grand Canyon, burned in an incinerator, or what? I'd love to own just one 35mm print to call my own, and have a screening at the theatre once a year, but most of the dealers are either a little out of my price range, or don't have any titles I'd ever want to watch again. Any insight?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-23-1999 11:46 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you should contact Jeff Joseph at Sabucat productions. I don't know his number offhand, but it is all over the Big Reel and film collector's sites. He can get you most anything and will treat you fairly. Just remember when purchasing a film to make print "condition" the #1 issue for possible returns if the print is not up to your expectations. Just because one person says "mint" does not mean it is in your opinion. (NOT bashing Jeff here.) Also, you will have to wait until the movie is out on home video before you will be able to purchase a print for private home use. Once a title is out on video, then the movie will be "licensed for home use" and format, whether 35mm, 16mm, VHS, DVD, etc doesn't matter.

Just a note: remember just because you own a print does NOT, I repeat NOT give you the right to exhibit it to ANY kind of paying audience. You can't even give free admission and charge for concessions or have a donation plate! Don't even try it, as it is very illegal to do so. If all you want to do is run an older title for a few friends in your living room or after hours at a theater where not a single penny is exchanging hands, then no problem. Some people confuse owning a print with the "right" to exhibit it, when there are no rights whatsoever. Keep that straight and you won't have any problems.

Keith Richardson
Film Handler

- posted 07-24-1999 08:37 AM      Profile for Keith Richardson   Email Keith Richardson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that there are places where you can buy 35 mm film after a studio has finished it, but they are mostly expensive. I recently saw a tv show where a man built his house around an existing movie theatre, and he bought like 50-100 prints from company's store rooms. Most of these were old, I think the newst being a very used copy of the house on haunted hill (original), but he said that he spent about 500-1000 dollars or more on each one. I am not sure what your price range is for a complete movie, and if you are looking for something newer than that, but that doesn't seem like to bad of a proce...now, where did he get the prints...???

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 07-24-1999 01:06 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Depending on the film, at some time after its run, the distributor gives the word to the warehouse to destroy prints. They do this because it costs so much to store prints, and as you can imagine, since few theatres are playing "Titanic" a year after its run, what are they going to do with the 3500 prints they don't need anymore?

Many years ago they were just put into the dumpster and sent to the landfill; cans, reels and all. (I wonder how many places there are still film treasures deep below the surface in some dumps?) Later on, they made a tool that you put the film reel on and a hydraulic press comes down and snaps the reel in half, film and all, then into the dumpster it goes. Over the years, when there were depots in all major cities, some of these prints that were ordered destroyed were sold by employees of the warehouses (usually for $100 ea.) to collectin' fools.

Recently all the warehouses closed and the distributors centralized their shipping. Since then, new titles have gotten scarce as there is a much tighter reign on prints getting loose.

I bought my first print in 1983 for $150. It was "The Wanderers." I have spent up to $1000 for a print. Every print I have was ordered destroyed or to be thrown away by the distributor.

Why are collectors important? A story: By the mid-50's, when John Wayne had become a star, UA decided to reissue "Stagecoach." When they looked for the negative, they couldn't find it (and it has never been found.) But Wayne had been given a 35mm print which he had put in his basement and never screened. That is the print that made the interneg from which all future prints of "Stagecoach" were struck. There are a number of other stories about how film collectors have saved studios asses because studios have always looked upon storing film as a needless waste of space and money.

Brad mentioned Jeff Joseph at Sabucat. Jeff has lots of inexpensive films, the hot stuff is very pricey, but everything is returnable if you are not satisfied. You can still get stuff for $100-300 at Sabucat, but the quality of the film or the quality of the print may be suspect. The Big Reel is a newsprint offering of mostly movie memorabilia and 16mm and videos, but there is some 35mm for sale monthly. Like much of life, if it's desirable, it's expensive; if it's not, it's cheap.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-28-1999 12:12 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
F.Y.I. Ebay has banned the sale of 35mm prints effective October 17th. Apparently the MPAA has been pressuring them. If you're wanting a print to have for testing and such, now's the time to peruse the listings.

Pete Lawrence
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-29-1999 12:05 AM      Profile for Pete Lawrence   Email Pete Lawrence   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been collecting film, both 16mm and 35mm for a few years now. I used to be a relief op at the local theaters back in the seventies. Remember guys, when reel to reel was the norm, not the exception? I have bought a number of films from Jeff Joseph (Sabucat)and have yet to be disappointed. At worst, your out the shipping costs, as he will make good on bad prints. Yes, his prices can be a little high, but that's the collector market. I just got a print of the #6 box-office grossing film from him. In super condition. You won't find his film lists on his website, but check out www.historyinacan.com for occasional lists. Also Big Reel is a good source for films. Ebay, to their dis-credit, as buckled to the powers that be and banned 35mm features and cartoons. Why not trailers and posters that have printed on them "...must be returned or destroyed... ", I don't know? But with any purchase sight unseen, let the buyer beware! As others have said, don't expect to show anything you acquire, either 16mm or 35mm, at any public screening unless the film is in the Public Domain. The Movie Police will be knocking on your door! But nothing beats a good feature (ANY good feature) shown on a screen in your basement or back yard with the sound cranked way up and a few friends who really enjoy film the way it was meant to be shown, in focus and in frame! And yes, you can even show it in the correct aspect ratio, something the local googolplex doesn't understand! And twenty years from now, that print you paid $25 for may be the only existing copy in good condition of that feature! Sadly, it's really something to think about.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: