Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » VOTE NOW...PTRs vs. Media Cleaners (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: VOTE NOW...PTRs vs. Media Cleaners
Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-17-1999 01:09 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Since this forum requires valid email addresses for posting, this should be reasonably accurate and not just one guy reposting over and over to sway the vote.

What does everyone get better results with, PTRs or dry web media cleaners? All answers need to be in reference to the 35mm format only to be fair.

I'll start with my vote for media cleaners.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-17-1999 03:13 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Media cleaners win.

PTRs actually make the film DIRTIER over time. I don't personally think that a dry media cleaner does a whole lot of good by itself, it is still leaps and bounds better than PTRs.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-17-1999 03:37 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Media cleaners---Yes!

Erika Hellgren
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-17-1999 11:55 AM      Profile for Erika Hellgren   Email Erika Hellgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I've never been entirely impressed by either PTR's or media cleaners (which is why I'm waiting with baited breath for FilmGuard), but if I had to choose between the two ... I guess I'd go with media cleaners. The concept just makes more sense to me than PTR's. You know what PTR's are really good for though? Removing lint from your clothes.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-17-1999 06:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a PTR. I wish we had a media cleaner. The only thing the PTR is really great at is removing the dust from film. We always play 3-5 weeks after the break and you all would probably be amazed at the amount of crap that arrives on some of the prints we play.

I think PTRs are OK if you clean them religiously, but I'd still rather have the media type. So that's where my vote goes.

Brian Paymer
Film Handler

- posted 07-17-1999 10:09 PM      Profile for Brian Paymer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MEDIA CLEANING MACHINE. We threw our transfer rollers away because they don't work.

Tim Spencer
Film Handler

- posted 07-18-1999 04:27 AM      Profile for Tim Spencer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
media cleaners. that one was too easy. the ones we have are almost new and were never even sticky at all. the cat hair rollers at k-mart work better. i've cut them into strips and placed onto a ptr. plus they are only a couple of dollars.

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-23-1999 01:36 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never used a media cleaner, but on thing is for certain . . . PTR's SUCK!!!

Paul Konen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-26-1999 01:03 PM      Profile for Paul Konen   Email Paul Konen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Media Cleaners

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-04-1999 10:55 AM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PTRs are widely used by the film laboratories to clean the film during printing (less "white" dirt). They are used on most telecines when transferring film to video. They are widely used for special-venue projection like IMAX. They are generally recognized as the most effective, lowest cost, and safest film cleaning method in these applications.

Several people in this thread note that the PTRs are removing lots of dirt from the film. So why aren't they working well? Are certain types of dirt harder to remove? Are they not "sticky" enough? Is the mounting equipment poorly designed (e.g., poor guiding, not enough tension, not enough wrap)?

In my experience, dry web media cleaners can be effective, but are much higher risk for scratching the film if an abrasive dirt particle gets caught on the cleaning media. I saw an entire print scratched by one of these cleaners when a projectionist tried to remove abrasive cement dust that had built up on the print during booth reconstruction.

Please help me understand why PTRs aren't meeting your needs, and how they might be improved.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-04-1999 03:01 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
In a perfect environment, I can see where PTRs could be of use. However, in typical projection rooms, something a little more powerful than a slightly tacky roller must be implemented.

PTRs will fill up with dirt before the trailers are over. (Hence the name Particle Transfer Rollers...transferring the dirt particles from one part of the print to another.) Also the latest ones I saw brand new weren't sticky at all. It was like a piece of rubber. Gordon McLeod has noted to me a brand of PTRs (sorry, not Kodak) he found to work well, but he is using them on IMAX prints which I do not believe is a fair comparison. To me, if they aren't made more stickier, they will never be effective. In my tests the PTR prints were always dirtier than ones left alone. I can explain the testing conditions if you wish, but they were perfectly fair.

As to dry web media cleaners, yes they can scratch...when run "dry". I extend my invitation for you to come witness for yourself the power of FilmGuard in Dallas. Perhaps you would care to take in a screening of Phantom Meance? You won't believe it until you see it

John Pytlak
Film God

- posted 08-04-1999 04:13 PM      Profile for John Pytlak   Author's Homepage   Email John Pytlak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree that once the surface of the PTR becomes loaded with dirt, it will no longer stick, and the PTR may transfer it from one part of the print to another. Interesting that most of the lab, telecine and IMAX applications, the rollers rarely get so much buildup that this occurs. Is the loading problem restricted to the abrasive projectors?

The surface of the PTR is intended to be only slightly sticky. Higher levels of stickiness may cause the film to wrap around and jam, or pluck pieces from the soft polyurethane surface. As you know, PTRs come in a shiny finish (for lower speed applications) and "matte" finish (for higher speeds and accelerations). I test the effectiveness of used PTRs by rolling the PTR across an obviously dusty surface. If it picks up 95% of the particles, the PTR is still effective.

Have you retried PTRs with film treated with FilmGuard? Since lubed film will be much less abraded by the projector, the debris level should be lower and the PTR won't load up as fast. Just wonder if the FilmGuard affects the stickiness of the PTR surface?

------------------
John Pytlak

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-04-1999 04:50 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK I have to chime in here. Here is the way PTRs work: Put clean ones on, run film, PTRs are dirty by the end of the 2nd reel at best, take PTRs off, wash them, let them dry, repeat each and every show. Ug! Our PTRs have long lost their "sticky". They are not sticky when removed from the print to be cleaned. My estimates indicate that it would take over 6 months to get a dirty print clean using PTRs every show. The only way PTRs are effective is if you use them from day 1, every show, in an immaculately clean booth. But the constant cleaning and drying is not possible in real world booth conditions, especially for every projector. With FilmGuard, you just soak the media pads, thread the film, and don't soak the pads again for another week. Yes, you run the film through the same media pads each show, and the results are phenomenal. It doesn't take much time to rewind the pads each show (less than to wipe out a dirty projector) so the concept of having it on every screen in a large multiplex is sound. We have used PTRs for several months when our theatre first opened, and it is impossible for them to keep up with the amount of shedding coming off of the film. I'm sorry for the single, long, continuous paragraph.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-04-1999 05:13 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Personally I NEVER NEVER NEVER was aPTR roller.
Especially The SanLab Blue ones
The best way to clean them is to put a 3' long piece of clear packing tape (it is about 2" wide) sticky side up and tape it to the rewind bench.
Roll the PTR down the tape and just look how much stuff comes off and the roller pores are opened up again
The ones we sell and I have worked with the designer for several years (sorry John) I have found superior namely because the surface is actually machined in a double helix pattern called micromatte.
As the dirt comes off it actually migrates into the micro groves and is trapped there leaveing fresh tacky surface exposed. But they must be cleaned by tape method
The Large format test is really the acid one for Dirt is the single biggest problem. A spec of it is gigantic when it glues itself to a field flattner in the centre of the screen. Also the high film speed 336 feet per minute plus leaves very little time for the dirt to be removed
PTR's are not perfect and I have never said they should be looked at as the sole method of cleaning film but part of a battery of devices that are at our disposal. Every little bit helps

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 08-04-1999 05:18 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I forgot to mention
PTR's do not remove static and in fact increase the level of static. Any that are coated to reduce static will clean less efectivly

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: