Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Christie has a new projector

Author Topic: Christie has a new projector
Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-12-1999 03:17 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christie has a website now ( www.christieinc.com ). I noticed they are making a new projector called the "EPIC" complete with DC Stepper motors. It's their 'electronic' projector. Fortunately, they have also included a page with Field Service Bulletins!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-12-1999 04:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the link is on the Movie Related Links page.

Anyone actually seen one of these things in operation? I wonder if it will have the trademark shaky image?

Anyone know if the "EPIC" projector is to be made out of beer cans too? (Reference to earlier post.)

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-12-1999 04:14 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I beleive this is the same projector that runs 8 perf and 5 perf 70mm. They have one at UA Colorado Center. I saw a 70 print of Titanic there. The projector had lots of film movement. There seemed to be a persistant shake in the picture. There was also some flicker, But I couldn't tell if that was from the projector or the lamp. There was a Christie tech on hand during the showing I watched so I can't say that I was impressed.

I guess that Christie was living up to Christie expections.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-12-1999 06:24 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Long Live Christie!

The flicker you saw at the Colorado Center was the xenon bulb. It had maybe 100 hours on it (if even that) by the time you watched the movie and also by the time I watched it. The screen also has dark corners because of the short throw. If UA and Christie read the film-tech forum, they'd know how to fix that!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-12-1999 09:11 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious on the UA Colorado Center showing. Does anyone know (approximate is fine) the width of the screen, throw distance and lens(s) used? UA seems to love using Magnacom zoom attachment lenses and those suckers eat light like crazy!!! For 70mm on a short throw, that would kill the corners as the image would be hitting the barrel.

Ian said the projector had the trademark Christie shake to it EVEN IN 70MM! What did you see Joe?

By the way, here is an actual complaint from a customer the other day..."tell your projectionist to stop shaking the projector!" (I'm not making a joke. That was really said by a customer!)

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-12-1999 10:04 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Epic is actually the Westrex Electronic Projector that has been around for years in special venues such as showscans and Iwerks theatres
It also normally has a very steady image if the electronics are set correctly
gordon mcleod

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-12-1999 10:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw dark corners. It looked as if the bulb was out of focus because the image detail was still there, but I am sure it was due to the throw. The screen at the UA Co Center is 60 x 60 (feet, not inches) I didn't take a good look at the lens, but I did take a picture and it is being developed to PhotoCD right now, so I should be able to check it out when I get that back.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: