Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Black leader

Author Topic: Black leader
Kevin Wheat
Film Handler

- posted 07-07-1999 12:32 PM      Profile for Kevin Wheat   Email Kevin Wheat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The black leaderthat my theater uses, xelar b1000, shuts down our projectors. We also have this problem with various trailers from time to time. The only thing I can think is that the failsafe does not sense the film, but I am not sure. Any suggestions would be a big help.

|  IP: Logged

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-07-1999 02:08 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What type of failsafes are you using? This will assist in finding the cure for your problem...

Aaron

------------------

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-07-1999 04:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you using the Component Engineering FM-35 failsafes? They detect motion instead of having the typical arms that physically drop closing a microswitch.

Is that Xelar frame line or frame edge line leader?

I saw in your profile you are working in College Station. Is that the Hollywood Cinemark down there? If so, then you definitely are using the FM-35s.

My recommendation would be to switch to Neumade "Fiesta" opaque black leader. This leader is emulsion-less, meaning you can drag it around the parking lot and not lay a scratch on it! I worked for Cinemark years and years ago and getting it was never a problem through their supplier. It never set off those failsafes and is the best leader on the market.

WARNING: Christie projectors and straight-gate projectors cannot run this film properly.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-07-1999 07:39 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on the posts that I've seen here, I must ask: is there _anything_ that Christie projectors can run properly? Acetate, ESTAR, nitrate, ANYTHING???? I feel lucky to have only worked with Century projectors (C and SA) in theatres and Simplexes (Super and XL) in home theatres. The Christie xenon lamphouses are decent, though...Peerless Magnarc is nice, too (gotta love that carbon-arc light).

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 07-07-1999 10:40 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually the FM35s detect film presence as well as motion ( and in many applications (CFS automations for example) the motion detectors are not even hooked up...

Aaron

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-07-1999 10:53 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, you asked "is there anything that Christie projectors can run properly?"

Well, let me think here. No. Not so far that I have found. However, if there is anyone out there who has had good luck with the newer "gearless" P35GP Christie projectors please do tell. (They should've named it the P35GPOS.) Warning: that person will be guaranteed of being bombarded by those unlucky operators who must deal with these on a daily basis.

As to the Fiesta leader, the Christie projectors (as well as straight gate machines) will tear it up within one week's running, whereas I can make a loop out of it and run it all night on a Century.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-07-1999 10:53 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Scott, since you asked......
NO!!! Christies do NOT run anything properly. They are high maitenence machines and basically no matter how much care and time you give them they will still have problems. You will always have some sort of vertical bounce in the picture unless you replace the intermittent each show. The lateral guide rollers (they have 2 sets) are a joke and if set even the slightest bit off can make your picture OUT OF FRAME HORIZONTALLY! Oh, let's not forget about the basement Dolby Digital readers! And the belts that need constant (at least annually) changing and the disgusting belt grime they leave behind after only a few days of running. Oh, and the sandpaper quality gate and trap that rips prints to shreds. I feel sorry for any print that has to travel even once through a Christie projector. Don't look to much technical support from Christie themselves, either. They will tell you that replacement parts are on the way, but don't wait by the mailbox because they will never come. They don't think that their product has any faults and will blame the operator most of the time. I hate these machines!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-08-1999 03:12 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In regards to the FM-35 failsafe...

They have a little problem: If the 'lenses' get dirty, they won't pick up the light reflected off the film and will sporadicly drop out. You have to keep them clean -- very clean. Just brushing them out every night is okay for 'maintainence' but every once in a while you've gotta' give 'em a bath! (The instructions that come with them tell you how to do this.)

1) Use a philips screwdriver to take off the front, black roller. (Operator's-side view. -- Front = toward the screen.) Undo the screw and the roller will slide off. (Don't lose the washer.) Clean this roller well. I use 90% Iso. Alcohol & a Q-tip. Dry it well.

2) Look at the sensor unit. (Flat, black plate assembly.) There are two screws underneath. Remove them and the sensor will pull right off. (Did I mention, TURN OFF THE POWER? You already did that, I bet! )
Again, clean this part well. Pay attention to the 8 little square 'windows'. Those are the sensor's 'sending and receiving ports'. Dry well and reassemble in reverse order.

3) Don't use blue lens cleaner. (Rosco brand, etc.) It leaves a slight bluish residue that, over time will build up and make the failsafe WORSE.

4) The instructions mention putting clear splicing tape on the sensors to keep the dirt out. It works for a while then it gets worse than before because the tape starts to collect more dirt.

5) If you STILL have a problem, contact Component Eng. for a replacement / upgrade sensor unit. They seem to have made a batch where the LED's go out of spec. or get dim or something like that. We got them at Tinseltown in Erie, PA and we haven't had any trouble in almost a year. We saved one of the old ones for spares. If a failsafe drops out again, we can pop in the new, clean one and give the old one a bath and put it away for later use. It sure beats trying to clean one while the place is full of people!!!

Just my $0.02 worth...

------------------
K.Y.S.O.T.I.
Randy

Kevin Wheat
Film Handler

- posted 07-09-1999 12:08 PM      Profile for Kevin Wheat   Email Kevin Wheat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it is a Cinemark Hollywood that uses FM-35's. The equipment here is pretty much the same as what the Garland Hollywood had, but it seems to do all kinds of odd things that I haven't ever encountered. Thanks for the input.

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 07-09-1999 08:59 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Randy mentioned- Contact Component Engineering and get the FM35 sensor upgrade. If you are unsure as to if you already have the upgrade or not, juat look for two things:

1. The upgraded unbits have a red dot on the little triangular piece that houses the LEDs ( NOTE I have seen a few 'red dot' units that were NOT with the upgraded electronics)

2. ALL the upgraded units have new electronics- there should be a little IC chip on the sensor's circuit board. This unit has been extensively tested to detect film under some of the nastiest conditions and will detect B/W and IB Tech stocks without a hitch! And if they are still doing it if you return the unit to CE you will get a rebate back!!

Aaron
Cinema West Theatres

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-12-1999 02:08 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree. The new failsafe sensors work well.
----

If anybody wants the instructions for the failsafe, I have a copy. I also have a list of notes and observations about them included. The only problem is that I have limited access to computers and internet.

(I use the equipment / connections at the local college where I work. -- I get to use them once or twice a week & I have no scanner, etc.)

If anyone wants them, E-mail me and I will tell you where to send a S.A.S.E.

Sorry, that's the best I can do. I'm too POOR to buy my own computer. I have to live on a Projectionist's wages!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: