Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Whats your favorite xenon bulb brand? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Whats your favorite xenon bulb brand?
Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-01-1999 11:34 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday our owners wanted me to call around and get some prices on 2000 watt xenon bulbs from the suppliers in our area. They want to buy big because I told them I need to change at least three in the lamphouses as soon as the order shows up. I like to use Christie and/or ORC bulbs because I think they're the best that I know of. What is your preference? Also, what is the difference between a Christie CXL 20r and a Christie CXL 20? I've only used the 20r's, can I use the 20's too? I'm running Strong lamphouses and rectifiers. They may also find their way into a few Kniesley lamphouses and Xetron rectifiers as well. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Aaron Mehocic (edited 07-01-99).]

|  IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-01-1999 12:20 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always been happy with Osram. The ORC and Christie bulbs have been good performers, too. It does pay to shop around for prices. I've found that prices vary considerably from dealer to dealer, especially if you're going to order more than one.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-01-1999 12:41 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The difference between the CXL 20's and the CXL 20r are basically the type of lamphouse they are designed to go in. Therefore you cannot use a CXL20 in a Strong Lamphouse as it does not have the lead coming from the front and has a threaded post on the back. Make sure any bulbs that you arder are specifically compatible with your lamphouse.

Christie bulbs are fine, but OSRAM is definitely better. If you install an OSRAM and a Christie into 2 equally powered lamphouses in the same building at the same time, you will notice that the OSRAMs last longer (also cost a bit more) and look better onscreen. The Christies put out a very blue-ish light whereas the OSRAMs are very white. The diference is very noticable when you can do a side by side comparison. I would go with the OSRAMs because you will change bulbs less frequently and save $$$ in the long run. ORC bulbs are stupid

[This message has been edited by Joe Redifer (edited 07-01-99).]

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-01-1999 04:19 PM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bulbs I prefer in order of preference:

1. Osram: probably the best bulb made these days

2. ORC: Nice strong light and lasts reasonably well, although in some lamphouses (CFS and Super Lume-X) they can be finicky on auto striking.

3. Christie/Ushio: Another well made solid performer.

Aaron

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-02-1999 08:54 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always perfer OSRAM and ORC the least
I rarely find that the large ORC's make it much past 300 hrs before they get very dificult to strike or start to flicker. Ushio lasts fairly well. The worst was Charlie Tangs Chineese lamps
gordon mcleod

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-02-1999 09:52 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where's a good (inexpensive) place to buy Osram?

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-1999 11:50 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon,

I wander if Charlie Tang's Chinese Lamp is also the maker of Yumex bulbs? (just kidding) Yumex is terrible! THOSE BULBS SUCK!

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 07-03-1999 01:14 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Believe it or not the Yumex bulbs ( yes they are not the greatest quality but a damned sight better than the Cine-Lite chinese bulbs that last <1000 hrs on average) are designed by an ex-Ushio ( the company that manufactures Christie bulbs)designer... At least this is what the importer told me- and a Yumex looks almost identical to a Ushio/Christie bulb...

Aaron

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-03-1999 11:56 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about Yumex but he was involved in Goldbergs lamps

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-1999 01:22 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did hear that people from Christie were involved in the production of Yumex bulbs, but then I heard that was just a rumor. Christie being a good bulb, and Yumex being a not so good bulb, I figured there was no way people who once worked for Christie were making this crap.

Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-1999 08:46 PM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite bulb is the Ushio as it gives a nice clean white light and is cheaper than the other brands that I have used. I have used osram and orc,the osrams started to flicker after about 900 to 1000 hrs and would only do 1800 hrs before the had to be removed I also had one explode during screening after only 500 hrs.Osram payrd for a new mirror as well as a replacement lamp,it was a full house when it happened about 5 min into the feature.AS for the ushio we had one last 3750 hrs before we changed it and it was a 1.6 kw lamp.We used them in Kinoton and in Bauer U3 projectors we used 2.0kw lamps,as for the orc lamps they were to expensive and gave a off white colour.As a point of interest the rectifiers we use with the Kinoton projectors are also ushio.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Stephen Jones (edited 07-04-99).]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-04-1999 09:46 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to agree that OSRAM is the best.
We use CFS lamphouse/consoles & the O.R.C.'s barely lasted 700 hrs. Osrams last 1000 without problems. O.R.C. get cranky and don't strike well after about 300 hrs and may die any time.

Christie are pretty good too.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-05-1999 12:10 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am surprised at how short everybody's bulbs seem to be lasting. We use Christie 4000 and 2000 watt lamphouses with Christie CXL40 and CXL20 xenon bulbs, respectively. Our 4000 watt bulbs are warranted to last at least 1200 hours, and they usually reach 1400 hours before they start getting dim or flickering. My record for a 4000 watt bulb is about 2100 hours, and it looked OK (not good enough to leave it in, though). As for our 2000 watt xenons, well, I haven't had to even change one yet since the theatre has opened a year and a half ago, just refocus here and there. The one with the most hours so far is about 4400 hours and it looks great -- no flicker or dimness at all! They should easilly last to 6000 hours and maybe to 7000. We'll see. OSRAMs can last even longer and put out a better looking light, but the Christie bulbs are good. The Christie bulbs do not say Ushio anywhere on the packaging at all, even though Christie Inc is owned by Ushio America.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-05-1999 11:41 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Christies lamps were always made by ushio as part of the licenising of the Utech patents on horizontal bulbs back in the 60's Utech division Xebex basically built the first horizontal deep reflectored lamphouses back in the late sixties.
A few years back on the note of lamp life I remeber removing a pair of Zies Xensol III's 2.5K verticles that had been using the old Hertner MG set with a boost supply and they had over 12,000 hours on them and they were still perfectly clear and the electrodes had no pitting probably due to the very high impedance of the MG set limiting inrush current and the almost pure D.C. they were provided with
gordon

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 11-06-1999 07:11 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
>>"Christie bulbs are fine, but OSRAM is definitely better. If you install
an OSRAM and a Christie into 2 equally powered lamphouses in the same
building at the same time, you will notice that the OSRAMs last longer
(also cost a bit more) and look better onscreen. The Christies put out a
very blue-ish light whereas the OSRAMs are very white. The diference is
very noticable when you can do a side by side comparison. I would go
with the OSRAMs because you will change bulbs less frequently and save
$$$ in the long run. ORC bulbs are stupid"<<

Funny...I have done this very test and the Christie lamps out lasted OSRAM (and ORC). Osram burned their bridge with me in the mid '80s with their "it isn't my fault the lamps arrive broken, blow-up, flicker, don't have any gas in them...etc). My favorite line from them was the "in-rush current" thing. It is amazing how my in-rush current problem vanished when I switched to Christie lamps. Christie lamps main mode of early failure is out-gassing...much better than an explosion. I generally get the longest life on Christie lamps with Christie power. I once installed a 7-plex with the Christie package (sans projectors...Centurys though I'm normally a Simplex man)...those lamps REALLY went the distance...I believe one of them went to 14,000 hours and was very scary to change. The damn lamp really didn't darken but took about 5 minutes to sabilize at the beginning of the show. I changed it years after installing the booth during a union training seminar on lamp changes.

I feel that the OSRAM lamps have gotten better over the years though and the theatre I work at on Saturdays uses them though we have used Christies here too. The Christies generally lasted longer (and were more stable).

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: