Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dream Catcher projector (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Dream Catcher projector
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-16-1999 07:26 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody used the new Projector from CFS called the Dream catcher? if so, what are your impressions? I heard that if you walked up to it while it was running and touched the chassis the entire projector would turn itself off. The Dream Catcher is an electronically driven projector that runs film and has "modules" for each sprocket that can supposedly be swapped out quickly, thus making it the simplest projector design on the market (or so they say). What I am interested in is onscreen performance.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-16-1999 08:24 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
For what it's worth...

A friend who went to ShoWest told me they couldn't get the thing to run for two days. But when it finally did run, it was supposedly fantastic.

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 06-17-1999 01:55 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the Dreamcatcher at ShoWest, and was very impressed! Moreso than the electronic Kinoton and Ernemann machines! First off, the fact that all the moving parts are on easily replaceable modules is a real time saver for major repairs! also you can adjust loop sizes while the film is running, there is a 1/3 speed 'jog mode' for making sure your film path is threaded properly ( or to run the leader down), it has two stepper-motor shutters, from what I saw, it is a nice machine! Now to get it to cost as much as a Simplex or Century...

Aaron

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 03-07-2005 01:54 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 2090 days since the last post.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2005 01:54 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, what ever happened. Did these actually come to market? Is anyone using these commercially?

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-07-2005 02:37 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The unit died with the bankruptcy by the new owners of Cinema Film Systems. Dick Nccum, the rights owner,has no desire to manufacture the unit since the maketplace has changed.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 03-07-2005 06:10 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Richard,

You are much too kind!

CFS sold about 10 of these hybrid devices (flycatchers) and in the end, all came back to the factory. Among their many problems was a sensitivity to static and we all know there is no problem with that in todays booths, what with miles of film hanging around, right?

OK, I've had my rant for the day.

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 03-08-2005 12:51 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 10-plex in Chico, CA has (had?) all Dreamcatchers in it.

The owners of that theatre bought all of the Dreamcatcher parts and several unfinished projectors at CFS' liquidation auction.

A great idea, poorly executed. I still liked it (the prototype) when I saw it at ShoWest.

-Aaron

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 03-08-2005 09:02 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must of had #11 [Big Grin] . Dick Niccum noted that the Cinema Film Systems group, after he sold the company, did some changes to the unit which he did not like. The fiasco at a ShoWest screening did not help when they could not rack the framer far enough to get the image on the screen, so they had to go to a back up machine of another make. Limiting the framer was one of the decisions done to "steady" the picture since it had the same issues as a Christie when you rack too far in one direction. The unit we had went on several rentals with no problems.

John Westlund
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2005 04:41 PM      Profile for John Westlund   Email John Westlund   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aaron, which theater in Chico has or had these? Im curious because im only about an hour away in Redding.

Aaron Sisemore

- posted 03-09-2005 01:42 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't remember the name of the place, All I remember was that the buyers of all the DC parts said that they had 10 of them running in Chico. This was also Dec. 1999, so its quite likely that the place has changed projectors by now.

-Aaron

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-09-2005 01:48 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
It was a good idea but the implementation got outta control. The very talented and smart Dick Niccum was the driving force for the idea and the prototypes. But Rentec's new owner and the new CEO got a hold of the new $$$ people and f*cked it all up. Too bad... it was a promising machine.

I also agree, the EE guy needed a little more schooling...oh and Ummmmm EXPERIENCE in real-world environments. (It was NOT me!) HA!

I think they made around 25-30 machines.

I have one sitting in my garage.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 03-09-2005 02:27 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone have any pictures or manuals relating to this machine? It sounds absolutely facinating.

Dan Lyons
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-09-2005 02:36 AM      Profile for Dan Lyons   Email Dan Lyons   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Phil, take some pics; or leave your garage open and i'll stop by and take a few photos when i'm in town.

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 03-09-2005 03:47 AM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Danny... et too brute?

So, I just now went and took some pics of my chopped-up Dreamcatcher. I have all the parts including the turret, the sound readers, etc... but I wanted the machine for experimental purposes so I took it apart and here are some pics of some of the various parts:

The stripped machine:
 -

A Sprocket Drive servo motor:
 -

The Servo Drive Electronics (Only the top device):
 -

Oh, BTW Danny: Stop by anyway and bring your camera again. I'm ***SURE*** we can take some more pics that should NOT be posted on FT... [Wink]

Mike: Here's a pic of the complete machine:
 -

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: