Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Monnee projector problem

Author Topic: Monnee projector problem
Howard Johnson
Film Handler

- posted 06-16-1999 01:48 PM      Profile for Howard Johnson   Email Howard Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has any-one in the States heard of a Monnee projector. It is a Westar made under licence in India and I'm not very impressed! The problem is there does not seem to be enough travel on the framing knob if you get a half rack (2 perfs) The campus theatre/cinema uses the stage techs to run the show and they are not very interested hence the frequent half racks. You have to stop and relace the film to correct this. Does the Westar have this problem and has any-body got any ideas? I've only just got on the Internet with my Apple imac and it's quite new for me.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-16-1999 06:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the Westars and others have this same design. It's not really a problem if you can just get them to learn to turn the projector motor over by hand, looking into the aperture BEFORE they start the show to see if it is in frame. Alternatively, you could add extra leader and get them to turn the motor on and look.

Either way, the framing control should NEVER be touched (it affects loop sizes and changing the framing during a run "can" scratch the print). If the film is found to be out of frame (especially 2 perfs off) then the gate should be reopened and the film repositioned so it will be in frame...before the show.

Good luck.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-16-1999 07:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For everybody's information, the Monee is basically a Century SA projector but with cheaper parts. The design is almost identical, right down to the 2-perf framing knob. In fact, you can use authentic Century (or STRONG) parts to replace the bad Monee parts. Another Century-SA ripoff is the Cineceeda (I'm not sure of the spelling here). I think those are made in Mexico or something.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-16-1999 07:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[This message has been edited by Joe Redifer (edited 06-16-99).]

Aaron Sisemore
Flaming Ribs beat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups any day!

- posted 06-17-1999 01:49 AM      Profile for Aaron Sisemore   Email Aaron Sisemore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monee projectors blow. I have replaced all but two of our Monee and Cinecita machines with Century SA, SB, and SAW machines within the past few months. Yes, they are knockoffs of the real thing, and much lower quality. One of our Monee's had a impossible-to correct focus problem where you couldnt get a perfect focus on either the top or bottom of the screen, replacing the gate rails, tension adjustments, etc etc did not fix it. The solution was: Put in a 'real' Century.

The Cinecita is made in India also, and not all of the parts are interchangeable with a 'real' Century (which I had found out that hard way trying to repair a Monee/Cinecita with Century parts or vice versa in an emergency..... Many differences in the parts.

Now all I need to do is get ahold of a nice rebuilt JJ intermittent and I can replace another Monee with a 35/70 Century! <grin>

Aaron

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: