Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Laser Pointers

Author Topic: Laser Pointers
Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-13-1999 08:45 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last night was busy at the Skyline Drive-in Theater in Shelton, Wash. where I work. It was also the worst problem night with laser pointers. All through the movie, Blast from the Past, some idiot was shining a laser pointer on the picture. I made several announcements to stop or the show would be stopped. They continued, so I stopped the show in the second reel. I made another announcement and re-started the movie. Ten minutes later they were at it again but even worse!! I'm still mad and we never could find the perpetrator. What do you other folks do about these bastards?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-14-1999 12:58 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I am walking by a projector and turn my head and see a laser pointer or a customer complains about one, we will station an actual living, breathing, functional police officer at the front of the auditorium facing the audience. We have an officer or two at the theatre during weekends. It usually stops then. If not, then the cop puts his hand on his gun as if he is ready to pull it out (J/K). Actually, I haven't had a problem with pointers for the longest time. I don't know who these people think they are, but they should probably be physically hurt!

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-14-1999 09:11 AM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At our theater, lazer pointers really aren,t a problem. Very rarely will I see red dots on the screen, and its even more rare that a customer will complain. Guess we're lucky. Many of you could probably appreciate this: One day two summers ago I was thirsty so I went down to the concession stand for a root beer. As I exited the booth door and walked into the lobby, our manager at the time had three kids against the wall and was in their face like a marine drill sergeant. In his hand were three lazer pointers which the kids were shining on the screen during part of the show. After he finished his spill about safety and eye damage and all that, he threw the pointers outside, kicked the kids out, and said, "if I catch you in here again with these things I'll break every one of your damn fingers!". Must have been a bad day for him.

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 06-14-1999 03:08 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't happen much here, but when we do get a "laser tagger," we post someone behind the perf screen and eventually find the culprit because we can see them. We give them a chance to turn over the pointer or get out of the theatre with no refund.

The thing about kids in a small town is that word gets around real fast when punishment is the subject. It's less of a problem now that we have dealt with it publicly. In this case, "eternal viligance" pays off with "liberty for all" except the laser tagger. Watch 'em, nip problems in the bud, and they will go away.

Ozoners might be tougher though.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-14-1999 10:16 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't have too much problems with laser pointers anymore (it was worse a year or so ago when they first became readily...and cheaply available). However I must thank Jim for his brilliant idea above. THANK YOU JIM!

Dana Stutzman
Film Handler

- posted 11-05-1999 04:27 PM      Profile for Dana Stutzman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been trying to locate laser pointer tips that have a 'hush' symbol or one that says something about taking your feet off of the back of the seats. Any help?

Michael Cunningham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-06-1999 08:01 AM      Profile for Michael Cunningham   Email Michael Cunningham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As our theatres have a very short throw combined with a high booth, the projectionist has an excellent view down into the audience. We generally work with a manager over a job-com (two-way radio) to locate and remove the offending patron as quickly as possible. Hope this helps.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 11-10-1999 01:08 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My last "hobby" job was as projectionist in a drive-in for two seasons. Laser pointers had been a big problem. It didn't take long to come up with a solution... you turn the beast on itself. Here's what we did:

Immediately before the show starts, make an announcement informing people that you will not tolerate laser pointers. Tell them you will both confiscate the pointer AND eject all the occupants of the vehicle, WITHOUT a refund, if they are caught shining a laser on the screen!

Then (here's the good part), you ask the audience to look to the cars in their immediate area, if they see someone in the act of interfering with the screen presentation, and report them to the manager (offer a bonus as an incentive).

Once you have a "fix" on a location, have an employee watch the suspect until they shine the light again (they always do). When you catch them in the act, you have them!

All you have to do then, (and this is paramount to erradicating the problem) is follow-through on your promise and throw those people out of the theatre. Don't issue a pass, don't give them a refund. Word will get around fast that you don't joke around, and the laser-pointer foolishness will come to a DEAD STOP.

After implementing this policy, we only had to throw people out on two or three occasions, before we saw results. We offered a choice of two passes or a free pizza to the first person who turned-in the prankster.

It also helps to post a sign at the boxoffice which summarizes this policy.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: