Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Best Splicer? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Best Splicer?
Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-06-1999 10:39 AM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Who do you think makes the best splicer for 35mm?

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-06-1999 12:58 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Tape splicer...Neumade 35SS.

Ultrasonic splicer...Metric 3001.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-06-1999 07:57 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Griswold Model "T" Cement splicer of course! (sorry, couldn't resist...I like Neumade, personally).

Aaron Mehocic
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-1999 09:57 PM      Profile for Aaron Mehocic   Email Aaron Mehocic   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No question the Neumade 35SS is the best. Avoid any guillotine style splicers at all costs. The plastic handles crack off after a few years of use.

Stanley Durwood
Film Handler

- posted 06-07-1999 03:20 AM      Profile for Stanley Durwood   Author's Homepage   Email Stanley Durwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Splicers? Who uses those? Here at the AMC Luxuryplex 96, we just use a pair of rusty scissors and staples, although double-sided tape also works well when the staples run out.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-07-1999 10:34 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I personally like the CIR splicers because they have the adjustable registration pins, the tape tensoner and a diagonal cutter option for mag tape.
Plus they have C/S perf option as well

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-07-1999 11:37 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about Maier-Hancock? I have a model 1635, and an 816. Both are over 25 years old. The 816 was rebuilt when I bought it. Both have given excellent service to me after thousands of splices made in TV prints over the years. The 816 was used less than one hour ago. Excellent splices are ready in 15 seconds. As for the built-in heaters, they have remained 'on' constantly for 15 years. They are the best I have ever used for cement. As for tape: Guillotine is what I have. Only have to trim the edge occasionally. Usually that is caused by old mylar tape in my case.
Bruce

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 08-10-2004 06:02 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1891 days since the last post.

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2004 06:02 PM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Avoid any guillotine style splicers at all costs.
That Pile of them cost me nothing so They are my favorite

Will Kutler
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2004 06:51 PM      Profile for Will Kutler   Email Will Kutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both Neumade and Strong make quality splicers.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-10-2004 07:06 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Neumade and Splycemar are the same splicer, so you now have two good options here.

Strong's splicer would have been good if they had've fixed the registration pin issue noted in the review (promised by PM, but never delivered). Until that is fixed, I cannot recommend it.

Antonio Marcheselli
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-10-2004 07:14 PM      Profile for Antonio Marcheselli   Author's Homepage   Email Antonio Marcheselli   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, interesting post!

Brad, I remember your appreciation about neumade splicers. I always worked with CIRs.

But for four months I had the opportunity to work with neumade.

WOW, CIR are so BETTER!!!!! Gordon says that they have the registration pins, but that pins should'nt be used to overlap the print, the same trick used with neumade should be applied.

However, Brad, I found the CIRs better for these reasons:

1. Lighter
2. Cuts better the print
3. Cuts better the tape. Neumade works only with very sharp blades. CIR does not use the sharpness of their blades to cut the tape but mainly the contrast between the blades and the steel work area where you put the print.
4. Cuts perfectly the holes. The photos I saw once about a bad splice by CIR was made using the pins to overlap the print.
5. Can be cleaned and disassembled in a easier way

Gordon
I use that pins in this way:

1. When I have a "black" spice (between two trailers...) where a "pop" in the sound can be easily heard I use the pins to overlap. No matter if I damage slighty the perf, they are just trailers and I'm projecting black.
2. When I have to splice reels I use the pins only to perfectly align the parts to have a NON overlapped splice. The image does not jump, the sound does not jump and the perf are not damaged.

I cannot do this with neumade.

What do you think?

Bye
A

P.S. Brad, what are these system messages??

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-10-2004 07:24 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anthony,

CIR does NOT cut better the print nor does it cut better the tape. And it most CERTAINLY does not cut perfectly the holes.

It should be noted that Neumade does have a crappy version of the 35SS made in the US (not Japan like the good ones) which is basically what a Monee is to a real Century. Maybe that is what you used? The Japanese made 35SS definitely cuts better the print, cuts better the tape, cuts better the holes, and lasts longer the time without replacing the blade.

Bye!
Joe

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-10-2004 09:04 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah Anthony, you have me completely confused here too. I've worked with brand new genuine CIRs and they are absolute shit. I'll bet Joe is right. You probably got one of the crappy US Neumades.

For the record, with the Neumade you can make overlap OR butt splices without changing anything.

This has been discussed before. Rather than dredge up another useless argument, anyone feeling the need to comment should do a search first to make sure it hasn't already been discussed to death.

(PS - Anthony, don't mess with the Soup Nazi. He's mean.)

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-10-2004 09:57 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually most new splicers work well when they are new. Its just how fast they go downhill from that new stage. Some go downhill much faster than others. I definately agree with Brad on the Strong though. Those pins are a joke. A company HAS to be able to do precision work on a regualar day in-day out basis in order to be able to make those precision lapped full fitting pins.

Mark @ CLACO

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: