Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Presentation

Author Topic: Presentation
Stephen Jones
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-05-1999 12:37 AM      Profile for Stephen Jones   Email Stephen Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It seems that presentation these days is fading away due to coming of the multiplex .
But I still belive that good prentation is still possable. It is up to the experienced projectionist to educate the younger persons the correct ways of putting on good and trouble free show.All to often I have been in projection rooms and have observed some bad habits. They range from not checking after threading up to leaving the projection room and heading off downstairs to chat with their work mates meanwhile thousands of feet of film ending up on the floor i have actually seen this happen.I remember coming on shift a few years ago and finding the duty projectionist sitting in the chair asleep with full spool of film flapping around on the bottom take up.I strongly believe that if companies insist on putting young people in projection rooms they must be taught the proper way.if damage to film and equipment is to be prevented then the only way is for the experienced projectionst to train them in the correct methods this can be a long process but it will be worth while in the long run. I dont mind young people working in projection room but i do mind if they dont listen to what the are being taught you allways get the odd one who thinks they know it all. All the young people i have trained have been great but there have been a couple of know it alls and they dont last to long and have gone after a few weeks. I allways remember that we were all young and inexperienced once and were greatfull for the knowledge of an experienced projectionist to guide us.I have trained a lot of young people both male and female and it makes feel good to hear that are doing well at other multiplexes they have gone to,

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-05-1999 04:09 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have trained and worked with about every kind of projectionist that exists. I have worked with the old union guy who was lazy and always made us non-union guys do all the work, like build up film, or thread all of the movies while he built up a print (this was in a 6-plex) or clean the projectors. Fair? Probably not, but I must admit that most of the stuff I have learned was the result of someone elses laziness. I have trained the "know-it-all" many times. Always during their first solo shift something goes drastically wrong, and sometimes they are a bit humbled by it. I have worked with the projectionist who is way too anal to be effective at anything. This person would spend 45 minutes trying to make sure the picture was EXACTLY in frame---to the millimeter! This person also fell loosely into the "know-it-all" category. I have worked with those who are competant and have taught me many things and enjoy their job. I have worked with those who are knowledgeable but just don't care. I have worked with those who are knowledgeable and won't shut up, even when you must walk away to thread a projector NOW, they continue to sit there and yabber on about something like how a Simplex will retime the shutter as you move the framing aparatus up and down, oblivious to the world around them (but this guy was great anyway)! And many many others?

So who do I think is the best candidate for a quality projectionist? Somebody who really wants the job. Somebody who is fascinated (but not frightened by) the technology. Somebody who wants to learn more. I like it when potential trainees go out of their way and seek me out in order to increase their chances of getting the job. Much better than the manager saying "Oh, let's trian Jimmy, he's been here for a year and I promised him I;d give him a raise". Interest sure helps!

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: