Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Inexpensive optical stereo?

Author Topic: Inexpensive optical stereo?
Bruce
unregistered

- posted 06-04-1999 06:17 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I am using a Holmes. There's no room for alot of new equipment in the machine. I
rigged up a solar cell installed on a 4-pin tube socket to get rid of the PE cell. The
results are just so-so. Any chance that I could install a pair of cells side-by-side
and get a better sound?

The way it is now, my mono prints sound good. When I play a stereo print, the
music usually sounds muddy. I think I have more aligning to do here.

Please dont tell me to go spend a fortune on a Dolby processor, or worse, get rid
of the Holmes. It aint happening. If there is a remote chance of making real stereo
for this machine, I want to try it.

Note: when I got the Holmes, everything in the sound optics had been
disassembled. Years of 16mm taught me how to do alignments. My meter and
hearing tell me that I have the sound well focused. But, the stereo tracks still
sound strange. Possibly out of phase?

IP: Logged

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-04-1999 08:33 PM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bruce:
Contact Jay Pregent via his E-mail:
jaytp@worldnet.att.net
He has done quite a bit of work on Holmes sound head. I have done a mono solar cell conversion, but have not done anything for stereo. The Holmes is still a good machine and worth keeping. I like it's basic design, but I wish the framer setup was better than that lever design.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: