Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » New THX 2000 trailer...opinions?

Author Topic: New THX 2000 trailer...opinions?
Brad Miller
unregistered

- posted 05-30-1999 03:58 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone out there running the new THX 2000 trailer? What is the general
consensus?

I am happy to have something different, and especially one that doesn't
lose it's DTS track right at the fade out (I'm speaking of the TEX1). What
I don't like is the rushed feeling it has, as well as the higher pitched chord.
The higher pitched chord makes me feel like I am watching one of those
cheesy THX logos on a laserdisc! It's not deep and powerful like the
original analog THX Broadway.

I would just run the THX Broadway (Dolby A) version, but I have never
seen one that was printed in frame! The flat ones you can get by with, but
the scope ones will lose the top horizontal line of the blue box and all
you're left with is a 3 sided smiley face box.

As to the THX Broadway-DTS version, anyone else notice it is distorted
in the mix? And the SDDS version is just plain dull (but that's probably
more the format's fault). I like the SRD version, but have been having
problems ordering those. They seem to be out of stock on those a lot.

Anyone else?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-27-1999 11:27 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We never got any of these trailers in. But I did get to see it recently. Nothing too impressive, but it does have a good EX track. That's about the best thing about it.

Yipee.

|  IP: Logged

Raj Sheth
Film Handler

- posted 09-28-1999 12:43 AM      Profile for Raj Sheth   Email Raj Sheth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good EX track??? That'd be the first one I've heard of.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-28-1999 01:27 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually Raj, you aren't far from the truth with that comment!

RICK HAMILTON
Film Handler

- posted 09-28-1999 10:36 PM      Profile for RICK HAMILTON   Email RICK HAMILTON   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know this is off the subject, but you guys brought up EX. I'm getting ready to install some of the DTS surround adaptors and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them? I would think that it would be similar to an SA10, but the manual for it doesn't look as user friendly as Dolbys. Just wondering if anyone had any tips before I get to the install and fumble through the manual. Thanks- rick

Mathias Andersson
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-1999 04:13 PM      Profile for Mathias Andersson   Email Mathias Andersson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not so fortunate to have seen the new THX 2000 trailer. Could anyone explain the trailer? Maybe a picture is avaiable?

/Mathias

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-03-1999 08:52 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, RICK, I have experience with the DTS ES unit. Much much much better than the Dolby SA10. You will find that it installs much quicker and easier, includes all of the cabling that you need (unlike the Dolby SA10 where you have to build your own cable) and is easier to get a good surround EQ. Plus you can EQ for both "normal" and "ES" surround modes seperately.

If you hook the DTS-ES unit up to the timecode cable coming from the DTS reader to your DTS unit, the DTS-ES will kick into "EX" automatically whenever an EX trailer or movie is detected. It works wonderfully. You just CAN"T do that with the SA10, as you must have the automation cue it into EX.

It's just too bad that the whole EX thing is kind of a limp gimmick and nothing more. But if you like things limp (like EX) then you might as well get the best kind of limp you can get--the DTS-ES.

As far as the THX 2000 trailer goes, it is nothing more than a few lines of text that flash
"Lets'
See
It
In
THX"
Very lame.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: