Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » AMC sucks...the song. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: AMC sucks...the song.
Mr. AMC
unregistered

- posted 05-30-1999 03:39 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Type in:
http://members.aol.com/amcsux/AMC.mp3
on your browser or click the link to download the AMC Sucks song! It
was generated on a computer but is still good. You should play it as a
non-sync sourse during your intermission---even if you work for AMC!

Here are the lyrics to the song:

AMC sucks
Don't go there
I can't think of why you should

Scratch that scratch that film
Scratch it up
If it ain't scratched it's no good

AMC sucks
They sure do
They are really cheap and it shows

AMC sucks
And whenever
You go there it really blows

It sounds like crap because
They run it in SDDS - SDDS it sucks
It's real bad

They have those Torus screens
With their big curve and lots of distortion hell yeah
You've been had

AMC sucks
Really bad
You really should stay away

But if you go down to
AMC
They'll f*ck it up anyway

AMC sucks!

Andrew McCrea
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 06:55 PM      Profile for Andrew McCrea   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew McCrea   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a rude song...

I've never been to AMC, but someone must hate it. I've only heard good things about AMC!

------------------
Andrew McCrea

"I'm Not Bad, I'm Just Drawn That Way!" - Jessica Rabbit

|  IP: Logged

Bob Maar
(Maar stands for Maartini)

- posted 03-30-2001 07:18 PM      Profile for Bob Maar   Author's Homepage   Email Bob Maar   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Unregistered - Should be locked out.

Ian Price
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 07:31 PM      Profile for Ian Price   Email Ian Price   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was dug up from The Land Before Rules!

It is part of the reason Brad imposed rules and poster's pictures. I can only imagine the amount of crap He had to endure before the rules and the disclaimer were set up.

In certain markets, AMC has a very bad reputation for film handling. Also, they have tried some experiments in auditorium design that have been less than successful. They should be lauded as pioneers of multiplexes and other ways of doing business. But in there zeal to cut costs, they have the most underpaid, poorly trained projection staffs we have encountered. They also have some of the most inovative theatres in the country. If they would just train their projectionists and pay them better, they would be the 800 pound gorilla.

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-30-2001 07:33 PM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK I thought you had to have a password and be registerd to post anything on here. Brad can you delete this post and let us know your thoughts in a seperate post. Thanks

Editing post I just realized that the thing was a dregg from the past.

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 03-30-2001 07:36 PM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I have worked for and against AMC and have my own opinion about their operations. However, I agree that unregistered users should be locked out as it skews our signal-to-noise ratio. My two cents.

Oops. Me too. Someone's been digging up skeletons from 1999! Please lock the closet.

Betsie Beadling
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 08:26 PM      Profile for Betsie Beadling   Email Betsie Beadling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weird

------------------

Evans A Criswell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2001 10:33 PM      Profile for Evans A Criswell   Author's Homepage   Email Evans A Criswell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just tried to test the security checking by entering a made up name and password and the system did not let the post go through. It appears that the forum software is enforcing the proper security. Does the system remember users created before registration first started and allow postings from those specific usernames?

I've said this before and I'll say it again: Although there are occasional minor problems, this site has the best signal-to-noise ratio of any internet-based forum I've ever used.

Evans A Criswell

Darryl Spicer
Film God

- posted 03-31-2001 12:11 AM      Profile for Darryl Spicer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Andrew was looking thru some old posts and posted a reply to it that brung it back to the top. In other words he dove to the bottom of the barrel and pulled up a dregg.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-31-2001 12:27 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
As has been noted a few times already in this thread, yes Andrew was just surfing the archives and decided to make a post. Just look at the date on the first post of this thread. This automatically brings the topic to the first page and places it on top. This post was made in the first few months of the Film-Tech Forums before the current program was installed and there were no rules set up as of that time. I could go through and delete these posts or lock them, but several other times in the last 6 months people have resurfaced an old thread and continued on with the discussion. In the end, I decided to not delete anything and to let all topics remain "active".

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2001 08:24 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are also some USEFUL posts from the beginning of Film-Tech.

I feel very old. I was reading this original post when it was very new.

I agree. Leave them available to all.

AMC must really stink to have a song written about it. They're aint none here in my town.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 03-31-2001 01:33 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Geez, it's not even written very well....

Dave Cutler
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-01-2001 06:45 PM      Profile for Dave Cutler   Email Dave Cutler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, AMC has got it's fair share of problems, probably more. I personally won't go to any AMC here in Kansas City (AMC's headquarters by the way) because they are so bad. I used to be the booth manager at the AMC BarryWoods 24 (still have all my old business cards to prove it), and it has fallen to the level of the rest of the AMC's here since I left. Crapola.

The major problems have already been mentioned, they hire highschool kids and then don't pay them well. Under $7.00 an hour here in Kansas City. You just can't get people to care for that price. They also severly limit the payroll budget so you end up running a 24-plex with a maximum of 2 operators, that are under trained.

There is also a severe lack of leadership in the booth. I was actually what they call an Operations Coordinator when I was running BarryWoods 24. The Managing Director realized that there was a need for leadership in the booth so I was given the honorary title of Booth Coordinator, and oversaw all booth operations. For a mear $7.70 an hour I was required to make sure everything was done every week. Which is about a 80 hour a week job at a 24 plex. When you are required to work all thursday, friday, and saturday nights, do routine maintenance, trouble shoot when things go wrong, basically be on call (because they only employ one tech for the Denver, Chicago, Dallas, Kansas City region) 24/7 it wears you down.

Bottom line, they don't have a clue how to run a theatre complex. So I left when we butted heads about some SDDS coments I made here on Film-Tech and work mainly as a Large Format projectionist, but I work at a local theatre on thursday nights as well (not AMC).

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 07-16-2006 07:29 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1932 days since the last post.

Kevin Murphree
Film Handler

- posted 07-16-2006 07:29 PM      Profile for Kevin Murphree   Email Kevin Murphree   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently the active Presentations Manager (Projection Manager) for one of the Texas AMC's. I have nothing but great things to say about AMC because if you do your job well then you don't have a whole lot of problems. The only time I do any maintanance is on Sunday mornings for 2 1/2 hours and everything else the Film Crew basically does. I basically set an intense chore list that requires them to clean nearly EVERYTHING and pretty much everything goes the way it's supposed to go up stairs. (Minus a few problems ie. lamp changes, igniters going dead, re-focusing with the RP-40, and doing random syncs that require the positioning of new rollers). All of the booth crew does an excellent job and are always attentative to problems and they always write it down if something goes wrong or something needs to get fixed. I do have to agree that it is like being on call 24/7 I mean they all have my number and they call it at 3 a.m. But it's all based on personal opinion. I mean I love my job and love working up in booth for the company oh and by the way SDDS is used in a million other theatre chains, which I hardly ever have any problems with. Anyhow, so yeah... [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: