Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SDDS Anacronyms (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: SDDS Anacronyms
Ken Layton
unregistered

- posted 05-30-1999 03:21 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
How about these gems:

SOUND DROPPED out DURING SHOW

SOUND DROPPED to DEAD SILENCE

SONY DEFINATELY DOES SUCK

Anybody got more???

Mark Ogden
unregistered

- posted 05-30-1999 03:22 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
The favorite around here:

STILL DON'T DO SHIT !!!!

Brad Miller
unregistered

- posted 05-30-1999 03:22 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
The original is perhaps still the best:

Shitty Dynamic Digital Sound

...but I think I will start using some of the newer ones here, for a change.

People ask me why it is that I have every possible sound format in my
screening room except for SDDS. (mono, Dolby A, Dolby SR, 35mm mag,
70mm mag, DTS, SRD...and even CDS digital) Hmmm, do I really need to
answer that?

Scott Norwood
unregistered

- posted 05-30-1999 03:23 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Heh...I think that Brad's screening room would benefit more from the
installation of a Vitaphone system than an SDDS processor. *grin*

Joe Redifer
unregistered

- posted 05-30-1999 03:23 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Can you imagine if Warner Bros released "The Jazz Singer" in SDDS instead
of Vitaphone on October 6, 1927? The sound would keep dropping out,
clicking from the "high quality" main track to the low quality back up track,
etc etc etc... Imagine if that was everybody's first impression with movie
sound...We would still be showing silent films today!!

Brad Miller
unregistered

- posted 05-30-1999 03:24 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, good idea! Think I'll run out and set that up. I'll bet there would be
less pops and ticks in the phonograph record than the amount of times the
SDDS would drop in and out of the secondary fallback (lower quality) digital
track or to analog. haha

Joe Redifer
unregistered

- posted 05-30-1999 03:24 AM            Edit/Delete Post 

This is stretching it, but how about this:

SHOULD'VE got DOLBY DIGITAL, STUPID!

Scott Ribbens
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-1999 09:43 PM      Profile for Scott Ribbens   Email Scott Ribbens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thought that I would bring up an old topic too.

Some Dumb Digital System
Stacato Digital Dropout System
Someone's Decision Definitely Sucks
Stupid Defective Digital System
Sony's Definitely Done SOMETHING

|  IP: Logged

Chris Erwin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-30-1999 10:41 PM      Profile for Chris Erwin   Email Chris Erwin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a few more...

Suffer Does Da Sound
Simply Don't Do Soundtracks
Sony Did Do Sorry

--Chris

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 12-01-1999 03:18 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My GM loves SDDS. She tries to make us play all the prints that go into the big houses in SDDS. We just play them in DTS anyway.

I told her that 007-19 wasn't supposed to play in SDDS but she scheduled it into an SDDS house anyway. When the soundtrack started dropping out there were about 9,000,000 calls for bad sound. I just shut the processor off so even if they threaded the reader it wouldn't play in digital. SOMEBODY kept turning it back on.

She keeps putting Sleepy Hollow and Double Jeopardy in SDDS houses too. They aren't even SDDS prints! I think she does it becasue she knows they're DTS prints and doesn't want them to play in DTS. (Jazz Singerphobia, I think!)

She just frustrates me when she does that!

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-01-1999 09:14 PM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My GM loves SDDS too... Luckly we don't have any...

Oh well, I emailed him this thread just for fun...

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-02-1999 03:55 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Ran a trade screening yesterday and the DTS discs weren't ready so I ran it in SDDS. The pre-screening went fine, no dropouts. I even ran a QC on the print and it was an "excellent" track throughout. During the actual screening for the studio people and bookers, the damn thing started it's random spazzing fit! Of all the times!!! I went to SR and hooked the laptop up to QC the track again. When I ran the QC again, it reported the same perfect track as there was before...but alas, it was srill dropping out! That's just great...SDDS made us look bad.

What a piece of junk!

So I power down and decide to leave it off for about 5 minutes...waiting for a quiet dialogue scene. One comes about 10 minutes later so I repower up and viola...no dropouts for the remainder of the film.

If I was to run that exact same print for a regular engagement, I'd be willing to bet it would run flawlessly for a good month, spazz out during a random show (as it always does), and run fine for another month.

What a piece of junk! I mean really...what a piece of JUNK!!! Somebody please take these damn things to the dumpster!!! DTS and SRD has never and I do mean NEVER given me problems...plus they're cheaper, they sound better and there are more prints with those tracks. It's no wonder Lucasfilm, Fox and the TAP representative demanded Phantom Menace NOT be run in SDDS for the trade screening. At least someone there knows what's going on.

Who's making these purchasing decisions???

Jim Ziegler
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-02-1999 10:23 AM      Profile for Jim Ziegler   Email Jim Ziegler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is obvious to me that whoever does make these decisions have excatally no clue what they are buying. They look at the nice fancy little pamplets and then go with which one looks prettier..

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 12-02-1999 05:07 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there's a little more to it from that. I learned from someone in the industry that part of the attraction to SDDS for the chains is economic. Here's how it works:
For theatres equipped with SDDS, Sony allows a higher house allowance, which works out to better film rental terms. Don't know if Sony is still doing it this way, but as of about a year ago, that's what I was told. FWIW

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-03-1999 10:09 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the love affair is over as even SOny theatres are starting to pull out SDDS units
Brad Ithought you said you had all the formats I didn't see
perspecta sound (there is a card for it for a CP200
Quintaphonic
Sensurround
Colorteck
Vitaphone (sorry you have the modern one DTS

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: