Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » EPRAD Co-operators

Author Topic: EPRAD Co-operators
Ken Layton
unregistered

- posted 05-30-1999 02:48 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone out there using the Eprad Co-operators? There are still a few in use in my
area. I have been modifying the older dual units to be singles. There is a 5-plex
theater in Hermiston, Oregon using them with Component Engineering FM-35 cue
detector/failsafes along with CE's QX-10 Cue Expander for sound changes and
lens/masking changes and they seem to work out well.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 08-05-2004 05:06 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1894 days since the last post.

|  IP: Logged

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2004 05:06 PM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still use them on all 5 screens. They work like a charm, although every spring I have to replace some wiring and clear out the mice who have nested inside one of them.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-05-2004 05:30 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's just one in all the mountain states and thats in Jackson, Wy. Thats the only one I can thnk of. Its certinly not an admired automation in many circles but it is reliable for what it does. I learned 2 decades ago that adding on a new multiple cue detector for other functions is a poor route to go. Its much more fleixible to have the automation handle all the functions instead. Its replacement, the Ultimation, is nice in that it does not require placement of cues in multiple areas across the film, just on the outside edge which seems to be easier for kids to handle correctly. It offers 35 plus sub finctions derived from just the 4 outboard cues.

As for the FM-35's... they just keep dying down in Southern Utah. We've added an 11.8 volt regulator too all of them at C.E.'s insistance in spite of them being hooked to the DC source exactly as the instructions show. If the 11.8 volt regulators don't cure the problem then in the trash they go and will be replaced by FP-350's which have been completely trouble free.

Mark @ CLACO

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-05-2004 08:22 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I created several little add-on boxes for an old used Co-Operator Mark installed in this area. One was a mod that allowed a cue on the backside of the film to bring the dimmer up with credits instead of at show-end. It was installed with the old Xetron direct contact cue detector which never worked right for the back edge cue so I was using a proximity sensor for that.

So when the mechanical cue sensor finally gave up the ghost and shows were running out while the proximity unit was still going strong the obvious solution would have been to get another proximity & relay and share the same P/S. But I was able to save them a few bucks by creating another little black box which enabled the existing proximity to do both: First cue through raised the dimmer and the next cue was directed to the Co-Operator to begin the end of show sequence.

This bears mentioning: Some may not be aware that you can buy a proximity sensor from an electronics or industrial supply house and set it up as a cue detector quite easily. If you have an old unreliable mechanical one you can retain the drop arm switch as a failsafe and use the proximity sensor for reliable foil cue activation. It looks like a piece of threaded rod with a plastic tip at one end and a thin cable coming out of the other. It requires a low voltage DC power source and a small relay to switch whatever you're controlling.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-05-2004 09:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where the heck did I install that at? I did the latter for Willis at alot of locations but was really glad when the Eprad Ultimation showed up and we ripped all that stuff out.

Mark

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 08-05-2004 11:34 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark: Glenwood Theatre, Glenwood, Illinois.

Co-Operator, Xenex (I think) lamp, rectifier (all used). New platter (SPECO?). Replacing one of the Strong Futura's & big reel manual changeover operation.

Glenwood is, I believe, a Ron Rooding / Village Theatres house, which chopped it into 3 but AFAIK never did the addition they planned. First run now.

Ken Layton
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2004 01:44 AM      Profile for Ken Layton   Email Ken Layton   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack Ondracek is still using Co-Operators at the Rodeo 3 drive-in.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 08-06-2004 12:45 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yah... between my place and a nearby town, there are 6 of them running. For what they do, they've been very reliable... 28 years at my place, no problems.

I agree though... if/when I want more from my automation, I'll probably put something else in.

My FP35s were a little trouble when I reopened our theatre. After a couple of good cleanings though, they've worked fine.

Steve Scott
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-06-2004 12:54 PM      Profile for Steve Scott   Email Steve Scott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old Monti 4 theater and Delano had co-operators when I worked for Muller. Willow Creek, which was a later buyout from Cineplex Odeon used the CNA-10. Now, at St. Anthony Main, all but our mono houses use co-operators (mono having the huge, white UA automations).

[ 09-03-2005, 02:30 PM: Message edited by: Steve Scott ]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: