Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Subwoofer theft! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Subwoofer theft!
Erika Hellgren
unregistered

- posted 05-30-1999 01:44 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
HELP! At my theatre in Denver - a 16 plex - we have had, to date, nine
subwoofers stolen. Sometimes the theif takes the whole box, sometimes just the
cones. The management and the police are pretty clueless, but we seem to agree
that it is most likely an inside job. Personally I suspect the janitors are at least
partially responsible, but I can't prove anything. I personally check all doors and
subs before I leave every night, but I feel very helpless. The company is not willing
to spend any money to prevent any future robberies, so I am hoping that someone
in this forum has some advice about what I can do about this. Any ideas are
welcome. I am desperate to keep from losing any more subs, especially with all
the big summer movies coming up. I believe our theatre is the best in town, but
without subs, it'll be hard to hold that honor. Thanx in advance, guys!

Scott Norwood
unregistered

- posted 05-30-1999 01:45 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Trade your subwoofers in for Altec Voice of the Theatre loudspeakers! I
guarantee you that no one could possibly carry A-7s or A-4s out the door in the
middle of the night. *grin*

Greg Mueller
unregistered

- posted 05-30-1999 01:45 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you could engrave some ID numbers (phone, name etc) on the frames of
the subs. How about putting "property of..." across the cone (visable side) it might
make the theives (and their buyers) think twice about having them in their
possesion. If they ever get busted (for something else)you might get them back. If
your plex has only a few doors you could get some security cameras (hidden) to
watch the suspect route. Maybe dummy cameras would do the job. If you use the
hidden camera idea you'd have to keep it secret from ALL of your employees.
Maybe you could put up the dummy cameras and then watch them with the
hidden cameras to see who disables them. Or (I like this one the best since I
absolutely loath theives) wire about 440 volts ac to the frame of the subwoofer
with a metal plate on the floor so the theif can complete the circut. Poof!

Brad Miller
unregistered

- posted 05-30-1999 01:46 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
How about getting a HUGE piece of plywood (I'm talking 4'x8' and 3/4 inch
thick) and literally bolt the subwoofer cabinets down to it from the inside? For
someone to steal them, they would have to completely disassemble the driver and
unbolt the cabinets from the board.

Unfortunately, that won't save your drivers from being stolen. I like Greg's voltage
idea for that.

Frank Manrique
unregistered

- posted 05-30-1999 01:51 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Erika,
Just how small are the subs thieves keep on stealing? Two of our main subs-for
right and left channels weight over 300 Lbs. and look like coffins (and about as
large). I'd like to see a thief get away with that!

Anyway, the subs should be bolted down somehow. All bass drivers should have
all mounting bolts replaced and Locktite'd. All bass drivers should have their
cones, as already sugested, painted with perhaps your theater's logo and/or an ID
number of sorts.

The idea of security cameras is a good one and it should be implemented,
particularly if "in house" theft is suspected (by the janitorial crew members you
mentioned).
As far as other places within your theater go, well I can't comments since I have
no idea where or what it is. Good luck

Erika Hellgren
unregistered

- posted 05-30-1999 01:56 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys, thanks for all your ideas on how to protect my subs. Unfortunately, as I
said, the theatre company refuses to spend any money, so security cameras are
out. Personally, I'd like to wait behind the screen with a shotgun As far as
bolting them down, is there a way to do so that would keep them from taking the
cones too, because they sometimes take the whole thing, but sometimes just the
cone.

Joe Redifer
unregistered

- posted 05-30-1999 01:57 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I like painting the logo on each and every cone. Good idea. While it does not
gaurantee they won't be stolen, it makes it less likely. One problem is that the area
behind the screen is dark and they may not see the "emblem". But if they steal 1
cone then they probably won't try again. But the idea is not to have ANY of them
stolen. Maybe try hanging the subs from the ceiling

The voltage idea is the best I have heard, though. Although it may not be legal!
Neither is stealing subs, so 2 wrongs make a right!

Brad Miller
unregistered

- posted 05-30-1999 01:57 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
This one probably isn't legal either...but a friend suggested this and I kinda liked it!

Get a bunch of razor blades! Super glue them around the edges of the sub boxes.
Anyone trying to steal them won't be able to get a good grip on the box without
slicing the crap out of themselves. Also, with it being dark, will probably cut them
before they even get the first screw out. Then just look around for scars!

I agree with Joe...two wrongs make a right. ha ha

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 06-05-1999 01:50 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
:-)
HOW TO STOP A WOOFER THEIF
1 Put a Brass plate on the floor around speaker
2 Put a brass plate on the speaker
3 Connect an IREM 10KW Ignitor to opposite plates and connect the ac feed to a photswitch activated by the presence of the intruder
4 Mount a giant PTR roller to an arm to come down and clean up the mess

:-)

On a reality side there is what is called tamperproof hardware that are screws with wierd heads that an ordenary person can't get at the hardware store I believe Granger carries some and replace the screws holding the drivers in place with them and then chain and lock the cabinets down

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-05-1999 03:49 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There's only one small tiny problem with your plan. No matter how giant the PTR roller is, it still won't pick up anything!

Seriously though, that tamperproof hardware idea hadn't crossed my mind. Just bolt the cabinets down from the inside and use the tamperproof screws to mount the driver. Excellent idea!

Greg Mueller
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-22-2000 07:23 PM      Profile for Greg Mueller   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Mueller   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just wondering if you ever caught the thief?

------------------
Amateur Astronomer, Machinist, Filmnut

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-23-2000 12:18 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I say coat all the tops of the speaker with silver nitrate solution. Coat all the surfaces you have to touch to get at the speakers too.

AgNO3 reacts with the salt in your skin and leaves a dark stain that's pretty much indellible. The bastard that's doing this will be nabbed in no time.

If you want, you can also buy "thief powder" which leaves a magenta stain. Problem is it gets MESSY. However, you CAN say that you caught him red-handed!

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 06-23-2000 08:59 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is why I don't like putting subs on the floor.

>>the theatre company refuses to spend any money, so security cameras are
out. <<

Well, looks like they'll either pay for cameras or they'll pay for subwoofers, it's their call. Pay now or pay later.

I wouldn't worry about it, particularly if THEY'RE not. Let 'em lose them ALL, if that's their attitude.

------------------
Better Projection Pays!

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-23-2000 09:26 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two other thoughts occurred to me. This time, serious...

1) Think about the "He doth protest too much" theory: If a particular person is hesitant to put in cameras, could it be possible that he is somehow involved? You've also gotta' consider that many companies secure what they can and insure for what they can't. Maybe the bosses figured that it's cheaper to take the insurance route. (Until the insurance company stops paying the claims)

2) Think about the patterns involved:

What times/places do events occur?
    Connections between things that get stolen?
    People that seem to "know" about things like this but shouldn't have access to this kind of information.

In other words..

Does it always happen when a certain guy works?
    Does he (or his friends) always seem to know the gossip?
    Could the culprit be trying to steal himself a complete set?

If you think about things, you MIGHT be able to predict when he'll strike next and be ready for him.

Kevin Crawford
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2000 12:06 PM      Profile for Kevin Crawford   Email Kevin Crawford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The best bang for the buck is the theft proof screws. We started using them after the second sub was stolen. We have never had the cabinets stolen though. I would say that if they have the balls to carry a cabinet out the door, that it is definately someone that works there.

If you are that upset about it you could spend the night up in the booth and watch through the port glass. When you see someone taking the speaker out, call the police on a cell phone. While they are loading it up in their truck, the cops catch them. See if you can't get news coverage of it. I will guarantee that if you make an example of them , odds are that all theft at your theatre will stop.

Or you could just shoot them. Although I do like the electrocution idea.

By the way, what type of subs are they, and when will they be unguarded?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: