Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Digital vs. Film Cinema (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Digital vs. Film Cinema
Frank Manrique
unregistered

- posted 05-30-1999 01:07 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
We wholeheartedly agree with Mr Redifer' evaluation of the industry's attempt to
absolutely control everything that entails film cinema, this time by begining to
introduce digital imaging technologies into the film theater arena, and gleefully
cheered his shot at the DIVX evil empire!

Our questions regarding the alledged 35mm film resolution matching by
DLP-via-uncompressed digital means also parallel his comments regarding 70mm
film: if indeed they can do 35mm-like image quality, why not go ahead and do
70mm as well? The answer might be: because they can't...nor ever will. Film is
film and electronic-derived images-uncompressed or otherwise-are just that. Sure,
uncompressed digital "cinema" may look fine at first, but we won't be seeing that,
will we? No more than we get to see uncompressed D5 sources for the final
MPG-2 compressed images we then get to see in video [DVD]!

It is ironic that we, in our humble attempts to educate our members, are using film
(when we can obtain it) as our ABSOLUTE reference with which to judge images
proceeding from any video medium available extant (in order to hopefully cause
the electronic industry to produce electronics that could one day close resemble
film), while there are those who are trying just the opposite! Go figure...

By the way, our film setup include a Norelco AA2 35/70mm projector. We need
a manual for it. Any help here?

Brad Miller
unregistered

- posted 05-30-1999 01:07 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I can get you a photocopy of the AA manual. Please e-mail me directly.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-24-2011 04:49 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 4257 days since the last post.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-24-2011 04:49 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
why not go ahead and do 70mm as well?
4257 days later, I don't think this is possible.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-24-2011 07:50 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's possible, just not yet (see what I did there?).

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-24-2011 09:55 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Face it -- We're not getting "film resolution" anyway - not even on film.

Film prints (today) are mostly struck from a 2K DI. So the 2K DCP will look better because it's an exact copy of the DI. Film is (at least) a generation away from that, and subject to mechanical artifacts of projection - which includes handling.

And, while I'm sure everyone on here strives to deliver perfect presentations, the vast majority of film presentations are flawed in one way or another. I suspect most of the "perfect" ones are probably flawed, too.

Then there's repertory to consider - if we can't get prints looking right on opening day, what do you suppose they look like a few weeks, months, years later? Don't bother arguing - you KNOW what I'm talking about.

A digital "print" will always look the same from the first day to the last -- provided the technology doesn't become obsolete.

That issue of the technology remaining stable (or at least backwards compatible) is my only real concern about D-Cinema right now. At least we can say that film has remained pretty-much consistent over time. I just showed two silent films yesterday. I changed out the lenses, aperture plates and adjusted the frame rate, but the film still fit into the projector and it still ran. I'll admit, there's something to be said for that.

That said, not all film technology has remained stable: We have seen the demise of Nitrate and certain color film stocks have let us down. Sadly, I'd have to add VistaVision, Cinerama and even 5/70 to the "obsolete" list.

Yes. Even 5/70.

Now, I know a fair number of us have a soft spot for 70mm. So, let me be clear: I'm not saying 5/70 is an inferior format. Just that it's gone.

It's true that prints have survived and it's also true that some theatres can still run them. But, then, it's also true of Nitrate. And, in the case of 5/70, the number of surviving prints is dwindling. The number of surviving prints that will portray the format in its best light is even lower than that.

Was 5/70 superior to 35mm? Yes. "Obsolete" doesn't mean "inferior."

Consider the following:

Many who have seen Nitrate support the claim that it provided a superior image over that rendered by Safety Film.

Similarly, the quality of light from carbon arc is regarded by many (who have seen it) to be superior to Xenon.

Even so...these technologies are obsolete.

And 35mm is going away, too.

I love handling film but I'm also a realist. It's (nearly) time to say goodbye. Goodbyes are sad things. It's okay to cry about it. But realize - that's what's happening here. We're saying goodbye to a loved one.

4257 days later:

...Some of us are (still) in denial...
...Some have moved on to anger...
...Some are trying to rationalize/bargain, and...
...Some have accepted the situation for what it is.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-24-2011 10:16 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny, the brand new theatre at IU....were film projectors installed in the booth?

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-24-2011 10:32 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With film on its way out of commercial movie theaters, the production end of the process is now threatened. A growing number of movies are being shot on video instead of film, regardless of the fact many end up with ass quality imagery. But, hey! It's "digital!"

I was channel surfing a bit Saturday and saw Public Enemies playing on HBO. This movie would have looked so much better if Michael Mann had shot it on film (particularly anamorphic 35mm) rather than shoot video. A lot of this movie was shot in dark settings, areas where even the most advanced video cameras have very serious performance limitations. The end result just doesn't look very good at all. The same is true for Mann's previous couple of all-digital movies.

Black Swan was nominated for the ASC's annual feature film award. I suppose it's more important for the ASC to award cheap run and gun movie-making with 16mm and Canon DSLR cameras rather than open their eyes actually look at the image quality and judge that. If the award is more about the nuts and bolts of the movie making process rather than judging the end result then where the hell is the nuts and bolts process with this movie? There's hardly any lighting design. Significant parts of the movie were shot with available light and with DSLR gain cranked up to 1600 ISO or higher (which kills a lot of resolution). The work that did seem present with lighting was pretty harsh looking. I just don't see this as being award winning cinematography. Any amateur can crank video camera gain and shoot in available light. It's one thing to honor Black Swan for its acting performances, directing, etc. The cinematography is a completely different matter.

Roger Corman used to make movies in the run and gun manner. He'd have crew members park their cars in certain areas and use the headlights to light a scene. How come none of his movies ever won any awards for cinematography? Oh, that's right. They were shot on film instead of "digital."
[Roll Eyes]

The ultimate goal for a movie production's cinematography should be acquiring the best possible, most professional looking image quality. Film still does the job best even when digital tools are used in post. Better image quality is gained through precision film scanning rather than merely capturing the scene using a video camera. Nevertheless so many people are bowled over by that "digital" buzzword and apparently have little to no ability to open their eyes and look at the image quality honestly. If they did look at the image quality honestly fewer movies would be shot on video and the electronics manufacturers would have to work harder on overcoming the limitations to video.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-24-2011 11:10 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the "digital"-as-buzzword theory is starting to wear out. I think the biggest reasons for production's big move to digital are:

- Easier
- Faster
- Cheaper
- Looks just as good as film does on an iPhone

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-24-2011 11:25 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike - Looks just as good as film does on an iPhone. [Mad]

So sad, but so true. Ever striving to reach for mediocrity!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-24-2011 12:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
Face it -- We're not getting "film resolution" anyway - not even on film.
Welcome to reality. Film prints are pretty bad these days.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-24-2011 02:35 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bobby Henderson
The ultimate goal for a movie production's cinematography should be acquiring the best possible, most professional looking image quality.
I disagree. The ultimate goal of the cinematographer is to tell the story of what is being directed by using the camera. Being dark and grainy with 16mm and digital or super sharp and grande with 70mm.

At the end of the day, it really does not matter to me how, what or the way the movie was filmed. What matters most is if the movie is good. The look of the film is important but the acting/directing and script are more important.

Matthew Libatique sure does know what he is doing. Black Swan was filmed the way it was intentionally.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 01-24-2011 02:37 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny Knowles not what he saids...

Face it DIs are going to progress to 4K sooner or later...witness some movies like True Grit. A film theatre need spend nothing to get a 4-fold improvement in picture...the 2D DCinema theatre will get nothing as digital just throws that extra data away. Why condemn a format just due to some current but temporary set backs?

As for digital presentations...do you want to tour DCinema theatres and start to count all of the various imperfections in their presentations...but since they are presumed perfect, nothing will be done about them...ever.

Hold your horses in 5/70 being obsolete. I liked the person that said that 70mm isn't dead...it is just starting to smell a bit funny. You can't call the format obsolete when there are new prints being struck, new projectors being made and even new films being made ("The Tree of Life" I believe is using some 65mm equipment). 70mm remains too well supported to declare it obsolete just yet.

Whereas your other items listed like Nitrate (no longer made) and carbon arc...which is still made in small quantities...I know of no new carbon arc equipment and no films being timed for carbon arc light...puts them in a different category than 70mm.

As to 35mm...it will only be obsolete when film can no longer be obtained or processed. Is it heading there? I have one word for that... Kodachrome.

-Steve

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 01-24-2011 02:58 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
steve said " I liked the person that said that 70mm isn't dead...it is just starting to smell a bit funny"
I love the smell of mag oxide in the morning it is the smell of victory oh sorry wasn't that napalm

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 01-24-2011 03:30 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
Manny, the brand new theatre at IU....were film projectors installed in the booth?
Yes.

And we have digital, too. And, lest you think we're playing something contemporary like HARRY POTTER on the Barco - think again. This Wednesday evening we are playing a *repertory* title via a DCP provided by the filmmaker. And this isn't our first rep title via D-Cinema.

I've already had to reject a film print due to its poor condition. Sad to say, the Blu-ray looked better.

I'm looking forward to more repertory via DCP.

quote: Steve Guttag
Hold your horses in 5/70 being obsolete. I liked the person that said that 70mm isn't dead...it is just starting to smell a bit funny. You can't call the format obsolete when there are new prints being struck, new projectors being made and even new films being made ("The Tree of Life" I believe is using some 65mm equipment). 70mm remains too well supported to declare it obsolete just yet.
I think it's time to invent a new term: Film-hugger! [Razz]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: