Washington Square Cinema 5
The "Square" in it's present form. The theatre opened in 1975
as an identical twin. It was the first "multi-plex" in Petaluma.
24 years later, after a series of ownerships and additions it is five oddly
The lobby after it's latest remodelling in 1995.
The second largest theatre seats 168 - used to be a bank.
The largest theatre seats 175. This is one of the original twin
auditoriums built. This was the premiere theatre in the complex.
One of the two original Cinemacannica V-8's from the theatre's original
Has since been replaced with Simplex 35.
Booth #5 before remodelling in 1995 - LP & Associates Lamphouse,
Simplex XL & SH-1000 and the ever noisy AW2.
Booth #5 after remodelling. Xetron XH-1000 Console - the same
Simplex and a wonderfully used CFS Super Platter. Complete with Smart
Booth #1 was film build-up central. With as many as 10 movies
in and out a week for a 5-screen theatre. Note the cannibalized Christie
AW-1 in the background.
The typical setup at the Square was this CFS SX-2000 (with 1600w Xenon)
and the Simplex XL w/ SH-1000 soundhead. Out of the picture is a
really run down Super Platter.
The 175 searter's booth - back when there was digital attached.
The two large houses possess ULTRA STEREO processors and some decent Peavey
amps. The smaller theatres fared worse with a hodge-podge of antiquated
amps and Kintek & Smart processors.
Special thanks to Scott Neff and Aaron Sisemore for the pics.