Exterior of theatre. Opened in 1929. Remodeled in 1950.
Closed since the 1980's, former projectionist and current organ rebuilder
and installer Jim Spohn is fixing it up with hopes of reopening it.
The theatre lobby with one of his organs on display. The snack
bar is off the central lobby to the right.
Cleaning up the old rotting carpeting on the second floor. The
window allows observation of the auditorium for mothers with crying babies.
The new carpeting and a fresh paint job.
The renovated snack bar. Originally, the Granada, like many theatres
of the era, had no concessions.
This was actually a transformed street candy store at one time that
was part of the building.
Another view of the snack bar. Spohn found the actual counter
sitting in the alleyway and he restored it.
The auditorium. The two side boxes were built by Spohn to house
the mammoth organ pipes. New drapes have been installed and are fully
The mighty Wurlitzer, fully refurbished and functioning.
The projection room worktable, complete with splicer and rewinder.
A view of one of the Simplex E-7's that Spohn got from the Casino theatre
on Catalina Island. The carbon arc house came from a local drive-In.
A view of the other projector with a different lamphouse. Both
projectors have fully working mag penthouses.
A 16mm projector with a carbon arc lamphouse.
A makeshift sound rack. There's another one next to the stage
for use with video projection.
Special thanks to Paul Linfesty for the pics.