The Rise Of Skywalker DVD review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Rise Of Skywalker DVD review

Well, I finally saw Ep. 9 of the Star Wars Saga last night, I bought the dvd for giggles. Since most everybody here has either already seen it or heard about it, I won't get too deep into the "story" aspects, since there are many elements that are direct clones of Ep. 3 (see what I did there), especially the climactic fight between Rey and Kylo Ren. It can be summed up as " Resistance fighters battle the attempted return of the "First Order". Wackiness ensues.

My first groan of many during this viewing was at the VERY lame wording of the opening crawl. Really? Who TF wrote that lame intro? I think my nephew at age 6 could have done a better job. And frankly the Disney versions all suffer greatly from the lack of the Fox Fanfare to start the show. The silent opening gives the impression that the sound isn't working during the start of the movie.

While some of the visual elements are very good, complex and well rendered, too much of it suffers from JJ's adolescent heavy handedness, which distracts from the characters and story. His trademark lens flares appear but thankfully were somewhat restrained, though they still were distracting. The original trilogy was visually stunning without being cluttered like Ep. 7-9 and Ep. 1

Speaking of characters, while the actors all did IMO a great job with the material at hand (Adam Driver's acting in a key scene with Rey near the end was especially outstanding), in far too many scenes the dialog sounded (and was) rushed and forced, though that is more on the director than the actors. Some of the attempts at humor also fell flat for the same reason, feeling very forced and deliberate. Another jarring and unnecessary bit of dialog was Poe telling C3PO to "Move your ass." The saga has never relied on or needed to have any profanity, no matter how mild. It was a jarring line that killed the reality of the moment for me.

As for the dvd copy I bought (from Walmart, which may explain this next bit) the video quality was not that great. The end credit roll was virtually unreadable and the overall video appeared to be overly compressed. I may spring for a blu ray copy to see if it resolves that.

Had I paid to see this in a theatre I would have been disappointed, left with a dissatisfaction about all of the points I mentioned above, but still I think that even despite the issues, it brought the Skywalker story line to an ok, but not impressively satisfying, conclusion.

My overall ratings would be:
    • STORY: 2 out of 5 (Points lost for the lame opening crawl, forced humor and unnecessary profanity, otherwise it was a 3)
    • ACTING: 4 out of 5 (Higher due to Adam Driver's performance, otherwise it would have been a 3)
    • DIRECTING: 2 out of 5 (Lens flares and heavy handed cluttered scenes Grow up JJ!)
    • VISUALS: 4 out of 5 (Despite the clutter, most were very well rendered and stunning.)
    • SOUND: 4 out of 5
    • DVD QUALITY : 2 out of 5 (Overly compressed overall and unreadable credits)

Overall rating of the movie: 3 out of 5

I have been a fan of the saga from the very beginning, my first time seeing Ep. 4 was at the AMC La Habra, in a small auditorium with car speakers for surrounds, but despite that, was blown away by how great it was (and the OV still is). The prequels and sequels all have their good points, but far too many bad or unnecessary points to make them stand up IMO as worthy of the standards set by the Original Versions of the Original Trilogy. The OT was the Golden Age of the Star Wars Saga, and nothing since has met that high standard.

The saga has never relied on or needed to have any profanity, no matter how mild. It was a jarring line that killed the reality of the moment for me.
    I remember in the 1995 Casper movie there was a scene where Casper is under the table and one of the other ghosts looks at him and says, "What the hell are you doing down there?"

My jaw almost hit the floor....

Comment

I'm not defending the movie (I actually think you're too kind to it), but I will point out this exchange:

Random Rebel: "Your Tauntaun will freeze before you reach the first marker!"
      Harrison Solo: "Then I'll see you in hell!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Cox View Post

I remember in the 1995 Casper movie there was a scene where Casper is under the table and one of the other ghosts looks at him and says, "What the hell are you doing down there?"

My jaw almost hit the floor....
        That's another good example. Obviously kids have said things like that (and far worse) for some time, but it still does not belong in a film obviously made for kids.

Originally posted by Geoff Jones View Post
        I'm not defending the movie (I actually think you're too kind to it), but I will point out this exchange:

Good catch, that exchange was a clinker from the OT. I wonder if it was one of those things were someone was given a bit part in a throwaway scene "just because." I do recall that they had fan contests back then, where the winner got to visit the set. Maybe that guy was one of those winners and his prize was that throwaway line in a bit part scene.

Please share your review of RTOS, don't hold back. I am sure I am not the only one who wants to hear your thoughts on this one.

Comment

My review? There are 3 Star Wars movies, and the only way to watch them is Harmy's despecialized versions.

Comment

My review? There are 3 Star Wars movies, and the only way to watch them is Harmy's despecialized versions.
            You should check 4K77 and 4K83... There is no 4K80 yet (it's being worked on), but even Harmy agrees that 4K77 and 4K83 (both in the DNR-enabled edition) is the new, ultimate way to do Star Wars and I agree... It's out there, on the Dark Side of the web, but use the Force and you'll find it.

Comment

Or the first run Laserdiscs of the Original Trilogy in the box set. The original theatrical cuts, with great sound and video quality.

Comment

"Harrison Solo?"

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post
                  [/B]

"Harrison Solo?"
                  Well when Carrie and Harrison were playing lightsabre games, they were often referred to as "Carrison".

Or as I like to put it, Leia got Laid.

One of my clients knew Carrie well, and after her passing that client told me that Carrie and I would have got along well as we share the same irreverent sense of humor. I regret not getting to meet Carrie...but when I kickoff, watch out.

Comment

Working...
                  X