Opinions on JBL F35/95

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on JBL F35/95

My home theater consists of JBL M2's and 5628 subs, and I'm loving it. I'm not looking to upgrade or change gear anytime soon, but there's one speaker JBL makes that has always captured my curiosity, and that's the F35/95. I know it's intended purposes is not for home theater, or even theater use for that matter, but I can't help but be intrigued by the fact that it uses the same D2 compression driver as the M2, a second 15" driver, and a horn/waveguide loaded 8" mid-range driver, which would keep the D2 compression driver from having to play lower frequencies, which should reduce distortion and increase output. I know the waveguide and tuning on the M2 makes a big difference, but looking at the F35, I see a potential M2 on steroids. Still uses an I-tech amp with tunings, uses the D2 driver, adds a 15" driver for a total of 2, and adds a mid-range driver. The spec sheet shows limited information about off axis behavior, I haven't been able to find a spinorama of this speaker, but I'd be very curious to see one.

I can't help but be attracted to this speaker. I know it's a long shot, but anybody here ever heard one of these? How do you think it would fair in a theater-like environment?

Are you having an output problem with your existing setup? How big is your home theatre? My general rule of thumb is...fewer "ways" makes for a better speaker. The trickiest part in a multiway speaker is getting the timbre, DI, and crossover such that the transition is near seamless. If I could get a 1-way speaker to play 20-20KHz with constant coverage, I would...but alas...not so on a conventional speaker.

It looks like they took the AE Mid/High and opted for the D2 compression driver (not the one from the M2...there are two D2s...the hand picked ones go to the M2, the standard ones go to the PA stuff. That is why there is a diaphragm kit for the PA D2 and it is an entire driver replacement for the M2.

The M2, currently, is sitting at the top of my speaker preferences. I liked it so much, I had 5 of them custom built for my (hope to someday finish) home theatre. I did opt to go for SUB18 clones over the 5628. My SUB18s are a little oversized and can play down to 18Hz. Standard JBL sub boxes are built around 9ft3 boxes tuned to 25Hz (per driver...so the 5628 will have an 18ft3 box but still tuned to 25Hz).

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Guttag View Post
      Are you having an output problem with your existing setup? How big is your home theatre? My general rule of thumb is...fewer "ways" makes for a better speaker. The trickiest part in a multiway speaker is getting the timbre, DI, and crossover such that the transition is near seamless. If I could get a 1-way speaker to play 20-20KHz with constant coverage, I would...but alas...not so on a conventional speaker.

It looks like they took the AE Mid/High and opted for the D2 compression driver (not the one from the M2...there are two D2s...the hand picked ones go to the M2, the standard ones go to the PA stuff. That is why there is a diaphragm kit for the PA D2 and it is an entire driver replacement for the M2.

The M2, currently, is sitting at the top of my speaker preferences. I liked it so much, I had 5 of them custom built for my (hope to someday finish) home theatre. I did opt to go for SUB18 clones over the 5628. My SUB18s are a little oversized and can play down to 18Hz. Standard JBL sub boxes are built around 9ft3 boxes tuned to 25Hz (per driver...so the 5628 will have an 18ft3 box but still tuned to 25Hz).
      No problems at all with my existing set up, I'm merely speculating if you'd be able to have M2 like performance in a much bigger room with a speaker such as the F35 or a possible derivative of the F35 tailored for the purpose.

Closest thing to a single "driver" or point source reproducing the full frequency spectrum I can think of is maybe some Danley offerings.

I didn't know that about the D2, I thought they were basically the same dual diaphragm, annular 3" CD.

5 M2's must be incredible. I have 3 for my mains with SCL-4's for surrounds and the experience is fantastic. I agree, a little more extension would be nice with the 5628's, but I really can't complain with my end results. Have you heard the Meyer Bluehorns? Probably one of the few speakers that I think would compete with the M2.

Comment

I'm a 5-screen channel kinda guy. For surrounds...I didn't do anything pretentious...just JBL Control 1s with custom design/built surround LFEs and JBL Control Ceiling speakers for the ceiling surrounds. LW/RW are QSC AD-S6T.

As for the Meyer Blue Horns...If I've heard them, I was unaware. Of the Meyer systems that I have heard, nothing has caused me to want to jump over to them. I'll keep an open mind and as I'm aware of hearing Meyer (I have a project that will be mostly Meyer in 2023) I'll be able to give their stuff a better audition.

As to the D2...they are the same driver...same dual ring radiator and same dual 16-Ohm diaphragms. My gut tells me that the M2's version are merely hand picked based on performance to be to a tighter tolerance than the standard ones. The standard D2430H (and note the "H" or 8-Ohm so the diaphragms wired in parallel) is 5061586X (diaphragm kit is D32R2430...calling it a 32-Ohm in the part number). However the M2's version is a D2430K (K for 32-Ohm so the two diaphragms are wired in series)...its part number is 5032754X...there is no diaphragm kit...just a replacement driver. ​

Comment

I'm a 5-screen channel kinda guy. For surrounds...I didn't do anything pretentious...just JBL Control 1s with custom design/built surround LFEs and JBL Control Ceiling speakers for the ceiling surrounds. LW/RW are QSC AD-S6T.

As for the Meyer Blue Horns...If I've heard them, I was unaware. Of the Meyer systems that I have heard, nothing has caused me to want to jump over to them. I'll keep an open mind and as I'm aware of hearing Meyer (I have a project that will be mostly Meyer in 2023) I'll be able to give their stuff a better audition.

As to the D2...they are the same driver...same dual ring radiator and same dual 16-Ohm diaphragms. My gut tells me that the M2's version are merely hand picked based on performance to be to a tighter tolerance than the standard ones. The standard D2430H (and note the "H" or 8-Ohm so the diaphragms wired in parallel) is 5061586X (diaphragm kit is D32R2430...calling it a 32-Ohm in the part number). However the M2's version is a D2430K (K for 32-Ohm so the two diaphragms are wired in series)...its part number is 5032754X...there is no diaphragm kit...just a replacement driver. ​
          Very interesting about the D2 driver, but it does make sense. I can understand the effort for a tighter tolerance due to the application of the M2s.

I'm extremely interested in your set up, do you have a build thread with your set up? I'd love to learn more about it. You are the first and only I've heard of with 5 screen channels of M2's

Comment

This is the baffle wall going in (as well as initial framing):

Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 10.50.47 AM.png

M2s under construction:

Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 10.53.32 AM.png

Unlike stock M2s, mine are thicker to get rid of vibrations I noted in the prototype that had the same dims as the factory. While we were at it, we also made a rear cover for access to the HF driver. The factory box requires one to remove the woofer and then reach up, blind to work on the HF section. There is also an extra gasket that I installed on the HF horn to driver junction as I noticed an air leak there. There is no part called out in the JBL drawing but it appears that there is a a gasket in the drawing...just no line/part number to it. I also added a gasket on the woofer that, again, isn't called for in the drawing/parts but should make for a better seal between the basket and the cabinet. As you can tell, I ran them through their paces with sweeps/tones and was really trying to find anything I didn't like. Some of this is detailed on the Lansing Heritage page on the M2 thread.

Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 10.54.36 AM.png

I've also noted that most, if not all "M2" D2s have the gold sticker on the driver...the standard D2 uses the silver sticker. The series diaphragm wiring is evident in this picture (yellow wire). I did use the factory stock input cup and "network." The interior dimensions are as close to stock as we could make them and preliminary measurements show that things went well in that department. Further, the imaging between ANY two of the speakers is incredible. It is no wonder to me that M2s are used in recording studios as reference monitors. It is erry just how much detail they provide. I've heard many of my favorite songs many, many times and I've picked up details that I've never heard before (studio noises, breaths...you name it...it is like getting too close to a stage play set and seeing that the "flats" are painting, and not the real deal (or matte paintings, for movies).

This is the screen wall elevation

Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 11.08.15 AM.png

Plan View:

Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 11.11.33 AM.png

Comment

Wow! Remarkable build! My room is a similar shape, but in reverse. My room gets wider towards the rear. That's an enormous number of channels you have there.

PM sent

This is my room.Theater beam.png
              Attached Files

Comment

It looks like our rooms are similar enough in size (in the people area)...yours looks much more finished than mine (which remains framed but no time to finish it up plus I want to finalize some HVAC for the house before making some of the lines less accessible). Part of the reason for narrowing mine in the rear is for side wall access, HVAC access for the rest of the house. I also have utility space (plus a rear yard access behind the theatre).

When done, I intend to have a grand drape (moves and stacks to the right of the theatre as there is no room for stacking on the left and I don't want to stack it on the left side wall. The bump out on the right side rear is for the "A/V" equipment (the amps are below the screen/center) but what isn't shown is the stairway coming down that is above the A/V equipment. So, there is limited space there.

Comment

It looks like our rooms are similar enough in size (in the people area)...yours looks much more finished than mine (which remains framed but no time to finish it up plus I want to finalize some HVAC for the house before making some of the lines less accessible). Part of the reason for narrowing mine in the rear is for side wall access, HVAC access for the rest of the house. I also have utility space (plus a rear yard access behind the theatre).

When done, I intend to have a grand drape (moves and stacks to the right of the theatre as there is no room for stacking on the left and I don't want to stack it on the left side wall. The bump out on the right side rear is for the "A/V" equipment (the amps are below the screen/center) but what isn't shown is the stairway coming down that is above the A/V equipment. So, there is limited space there.
                  That makes sense. I got lucky, I built mine when the whole covid thing started. I was off of work for a while with pay, so I worked on the room day after day, around the clock and got it done in a fraction of the time it would have taken if I had work. Also beat the inflated lumber prices. I have the space for the same reasons, just in the front of the room. I have ductless minisplit in the room, which works well. Can't hear it, and it doesn't rattle or anything. Being a basement, there's a pump behind the wall to pump the condensation up and out. The other side of the room behind the opposite wall has some plumbing I wanted to keep easily accessible. I'm still not done, I have yet to install the atmos speakers.

This shows more details about my room a bit better than pics can

I know you're probably way ahead of me on this, but Lutron makes a number of products that you can use for your drapes. The Lutron RadioRA stuff can control your lighting, curtains/drapes, blinds/shades etc. You can control it with a number of home automation systems as well. I'm using an RTi set up. I know Control4 is popular as well. I'm looking forward to seeing your set up when it's finished.

When you get a chance, check your PM's I sent you a message. No rush.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Comment

I'd like to see mine, when finished!!! The room will be all QSC/Q-SYS for amps and control...I have all of the hardware...I just haven't put it in. I plan to continue with commercial based equipment for lighting and drapery. I think I have the curtain part pretty well figured out. With maskings on the decline, getting curtain/masking machines shouldn't be too tricky in the "previously enjoyed" market.

I really like your raised ceiling and I've toyed with a red/white color scheme or go full USA with red/white/blue.

HVAC to the room will be with a conventional system (the return air duct is already in). Return air will be on the face of the riser to the rear section, through some insulated flexible ducts to keep the noise down. The inlet to the room will be at the rear, at the ceiling. The duct is already there. The actual air handler is very close (next to the A/V bump out).

I think your setup looks pretty awesome. Even better, you get to enjoy yours!

Comment

I'd like to see mine, when finished!!! The room will be all QSC/Q-SYS for amps and control...I have all of the hardware...I just haven't put it in. I plan to continue with commercial based equipment for lighting and drapery. I think I have the curtain part pretty well figured out. With maskings on the decline, getting curtain/masking machines shouldn't be too tricky in the "previously enjoyed" market.

I really like your raised ceiling and I've toyed with a red/white color scheme or go full USA with red/white/blue.

HVAC to the room will be with a conventional system (the return air duct is already in). Return air will be on the face of the riser to the rear section, through some insulated flexible ducts to keep the noise down. The inlet to the room will be at the rear, at the ceiling. The duct is already there. The actual air handler is very close (next to the A/V bump out).

I think your setup looks pretty awesome. Even better, you get to enjoy yours!
                      A lot of installers use the QSC stuff for their installs as well. All great/proven stuff of course.

I have a mix of commercial stuff and consumer stuff. I like the commercial stuff, just hard to implement some commercial products properly in a domestic setting (which is why I went with the SCL-4 for surrounds).

And thank you! If you're ever on Long Island, you're welcome to check out the room!

Comment

Working...
                      X