The Lost City Of Cecil B. Demille

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lost City Of Cecil B. Demille

Last night I streamed the film The Lost City Of Cecil B. Demille on Amazon Prime. It is a documentary about the making of the 1923 version of The Ten Commandments, and the nightmare story of two amateur archeologists who since 1983 have been trying to locate and dig up the Egyptian sets where Demille buried it in the sand near Santa Barbara California. They got permission from the site's owner, but then discovered that in the years since 1923, the site is now a protected environmental sensitive area, and they were repeatedly stopped over the years from doing an archeological dig because the county could not decide what permits were needed, and kept either changing it's mind, or demanding outrageous fees and the hiring of unneeded people for the project.

A lot of the extras who were in the film were still alive back in 1983, and he interviewed some of them, along with Demille's grand? daughter who was on the set along with details regarding Demille's stormy relationship with Paramount Pictures over the cost of the film.

It is a really interesting film about a piece of film history and modern politics.

Perfect timing! I saw your post just as I was sitting down to find something to watch last night. I'd heard & read about the buried remains of the 10 Commandments movie set over the years, so I found the documentary interesting & entertaining.

Comment

speaking of Cecil B. Demille; does anyone know off hand what the month/day the 1989 70mm theatrical rerelease of 'The Ten Commandments' occurred ?
      Last edited by Jon Goeldner; 04-28-2020, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X