Dante and AES67

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dante and AES67

Has anyone had luck in getting AES67 in to AES67 compatible Dante equipment? Not QSYS Core, but a mixer or similar? I want to connect a CP950 to a Dante card in a Midas mixer, but having no luck.

I've no experience with the CP950 and AES67, but I've connected the CP850 successfully to AES67 compliant devices, not just QSYS. I don't have any experience with a Midas mixer, but a common gotcha is a problem with your PTPv2 configuration, like both devices not using the same master.

Comment

Thank you Marcel. Did you use RAV2SAP? Would you like to share some screenshots of the SDP and 850 setup? I can get my Dante net to lock on my AES67 stream, but no audio :-(

Comment

Note, at present, Dolby's implementation of AES67 insists that it be the Grand Master Clock. So, make sure your various PTP settings are set such that the CP950 "wins" . Furthermore, ensure that your domains are the same. Dolby equipment comes set to domain 109.

Comment

Check that PtP domains line up first. Most Audinate/Dante chips operate solely within Domain 0 (even in AES67 mode) whereas Dolby gear comes out of the box @ Domain 109. If the 950 lets you adjust the domain to 0, do so. From there you can to config the PtP Priority scheme so that the correct grandmaster gets elected. A Priority1 of 0 beats 255. Priority2 is used as a tiebreaker so you can most likely ignore that parameter if you setup Priority1's correctly.

A useful tool for seeing whats going on within domains, priorities, and masters/slaves is the PtPTrackhound utility. You'll need to have your mixer dante card, CP950, and PC all connected to a switch in order to observe.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesper Meng View Post
            Thank you Marcel. Did you use RAV2SAP? Would you like to share some screenshots of the SDP and 850 setup? I can get my Dante net to lock on my AES67 stream, but no audio :-(
            The system isn't currently running in AES67, but I'll see what I can do, next week when I'm in our screening room.
            No, I didn't use RAV2SAP. Actually, I don't know if the CP850 (or the CP950) does any kind of service discovery announcements. Usually, all settings like stream UDP port/tag numbers, are configured manually. Is there any debugging available on your Midas device on what it doesn't like?

Comment

@Steve I have a green stream in Dante controller and the Event monitor shows that the CP950 is grand master. If i change domain on CP950 it goes red. So the stream looks ok, but no audio.
              @Jay I have it currently set to domain 0, and PTP 100. I seems like the dante is locking on the 950 as GM. The 950 is connected directly to the x-dante om my M32. I just found the Trackhound utility and i am going to try it tomorrow. I can see the stream in Wireshark.
              @Marcel Everything looks fine on the Dante side, when i connect the cp950, everything goes green and the cp950 is elevated to GM

I do not know if i need some additional enablements on the 950? It is set to all digital outputs and updated.
              Thank you for your time guys!

Comment

So, you can see the UDP audio stream incoming via Wireshark with the destination IP of the Dante interface on your mixer? Does it match the expected port number and bitrate?
                If so, then I guess the primary focus should be on the receiving end.

Comment

If i set my domain to 0 on 950, the Dante devices lock on to 'unknown device'. However it is an empty stream.
                  If i set my domain to 109 the network selects my stream as GM but Dante is can not see the stream and won't lock to anything
                  You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                  This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Since there is no real service discovery (at least I presume there is none, as there is none on the CP850), you can't just plug-and-play this, you need to manually set up the separate streams, as in tag/port numbers, etc. Does your Dante/Midas gear offer those functionalities?

Have you tried Wireshark yet? And did you see an UDP/RTP data/audio stream from the CP950 being established towards your Dante endpoint?

Comment

Yes, I have used aes67 equipment with aes67 capable dante devices like Yamaha consoles and such so it can be done.

Comment

Like the Ims3000 or CP950? Would you share how? I can get my Dante device to lock on a CP950 but no audio

Comment

Are you sure this isn't a channel assignment/routing issue on the CP950 side?

Comment

I have chosen 'All digital'. What else?

Comment

In "DAD" did you assign the channels to the specific outputs?

Comment

Working...
                              X