Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NC1600C Convergence

Hi everyone,

So I have an NC1600C that is in desperate need of convergence. It’s... BAD.

The majority of the work I do is on Barco’s and Christie’s, I do not do as much work on NEC’s so pardon my ignorance, but I believe the 1600 does not have any mechanical convergence adjustments, rather convergence is done electronically through the ICP, correct?

If so, I’m assuming this is not done through DCC, but rather an ICP controller program? If anyone can shed some light who has had experience converging an NEC I’d be appreciative. FWIW Barco wins my award for favorite brand to perform convergence on.

Thanks,

Jay

All projectors have a mechanical convergence of the DMD's on the light engine prism, It's Series 2 gear that has some minor electronic convergence available. Plus or minus a few pixels either way is about it.

Comment

Mark, do you know where I’d find any documentation on it? I’ve read my service manual twice and couldn’t find anything on it.

Comment

Has anyone done this?

Comment

I just looked on both service manuals on the NEC FTP site and there is nothing on it. in either manual. I suggest you contact NEC Support for that info.

Comment

NEC sent me a PPT of the process for the N800C. Presumably one exists for the N1600

If it's anything like the N800, start early in the morming and be in a very good mood!

Comment

Pete, out of curiosity do you happen to have that PowerPoint? I’d be interested to see it

Comment

I've never done manual color convergence on a NEC, but quite often on a Barco and also a few times on a Christie. For some reason, those color convergence controls are often omitted in manuals, like they're a manufacturer-only thing. They're also, often, hidden quite deep in "the belly of the beast". Fact is though, color convergence will drift on practically all machines over time and has to be corrected from time to time.

So, such a PowerPoint would be valuable information for anybody here, if it can be shared.

Comment

Last time I asked NED about convergence I believe they replied they don't consider that a field task - that may explain why service manuals don't mention it.

Comment

It should be some torx screw on dmd assembly so you can release them and move........depending on system, you should have some convergence test pattern and adjust it. Barco is hero on this, as you can adjust it in no time and is easy, they have pattern for each series...... I remember on nec, it's also bad because if it goes hot so you cannot mess too much with fingers around screw......so start projector at minimum lamp power. There is one thing why is cheaper than others.......

Comment

I know that the NEC firmware has some built-in test-patterns targeted at color convergence for the separate colors, unfortunately, there's no documentation of how to do the actual convergence in the manual.

Originally posted by Marco Giustini View Post
                      Last time I asked NED about convergence I believe they replied they don't consider that a field task - that may explain why service manuals don't mention it.
                      I've never had a NEC training, but I guess if you're a "NEC certified service technician", they at least tell you how it's done? I hope it's a bit more sophisticated than just to wiggle the individual DMDs around. Those adjustments are micrometer adjustments, without some gears or transmissions between your input and the actual effect, it's something you hardly ever can do successful in the field.

Comment

I've had more than few pro nec machines with up to 20k lumens output, they all have convergence to do like by hand......so no gear or "fine" tune.......since that were HD resolution pro machines i suspect they did same on dci projectors. Also. Same as barco and christie did on both pro HD and dci machine, engine mechanic parts are having same construction.

Also, on last i worked, u remember it was 18k lumens output, after 10mins when engine get's Hot, it's almost i possible to play around with hands or you will burn out fingers......

Comment

I guess when doing the initial convergence in the factory, they use special tools to do so. What's NEC official point of view on this? Color convergence drift is a defect that can only be serviced in a repair center?

Barco's color convergence, while totally manual, is pretty easy. I think all projectors only allow you to adjust green and red, the blue DMD is the reference (maybe there are models where other colors are the reference, but none I've seen), but it gives you some terminals that are sufficiently far away from the light engine not to heat up to such an extend you can't touch them anymore. Also, they are geared to quite some extend, which makes fine-tuned adjustment pretty easy.

Comment

Basically the same as a NC-3200 or a Christie with the same size DMD's. Its all straight foreword. ONe DMD is hard to get to, so that should be the reference DMD the other two are adjusted to. .....

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
                              I've never had a NEC training, but I guess if you're a "NEC certified service technician", they at least tell you how it's done? I hope it's a bit more sophisticated than just to wiggle the individual DMDs around. Those adjustments are micrometer adjustments, without some gears or transmissions between your input and the actual effect, it's something you hardly ever can do successful in the field.
                              Before Christie introduced spring-mounted DMDs, doing convergence was not an easy task as you had to loosen the DMDs, adjust, tighten. Now, to be fair I never converged a non-spring-mounted system so I do not know how difficult it is. But I do remember NEC saying that and Christie saying "it takes 8 hours to our best men". Barco DP1200/2000 were of similar difficulty as they did not have the friendly knobs.

To be fair, when the chip is bolted down, it rarely drifts. Spring-mounted ones are less stable but adjusting them is also much easier and faster.

Comment

Working...
                              X