Master Image - value?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master Image - value?

I know all the drawbacks, but can anyone give an estimate of what a near new upright Clarity unit is worth?

Originally posted by Dave Macaulay View Post
    . . . can anyone give an estimate of what a near new upright Clarity unit is worth?
    The snarky answer is "Whatever somebody is willing to pay for it" - however I'll try
    a more intelligent reply. A theater owner recently asked me the same question & if I
    would try to help get rid of a unit he wasn't using anymore. (He's even taken out his
    3D 'hot-spot' screen) I declined the offer, even though he was willing to pay me quite
    a generous commission, simply because I'm too busy to handle that task right now.

But back to your question- - the best answer I can give you is that E-bay can often
    be a rough barometer of what items are worth. and that there are currently two of
    them listed on e-bay right now- - one for $995.00 & the other for $2,125 (US$)
    Both listings also say 'or best offer' and buyer pays crating & freight shipping.
    I know at least one of these has been listed for several months, so I'm not sure
    if there is much of a demand, but with the new AVATAR coming out soon, some
    fool may want to install one, or need parts to fix one they've already got. I gave
    my theater-friend a slightly higher selling start point, mainly because his unit also
    included a spare, new-in-the-box, never used, filter wheel, which, if my memory
    is correct, cost him close to $1K.
    Last edited by Jim Cassedy; 10-11-2022, 12:16 PM.

Comment

I would never buy a Clarity. Those things suck all the crud in and it coats the filters very fast. If there was a reliable source of new filter wheels it would be a different story. Their front mount units basically do as good a job, possibly better than the Clarity...

Comment

There was an window option which installed on the openings of the MI preventing dust and dirt from reaching the wheel. That would be the only MI setup allowed in my cinema - if I had one

Comment

I've put a couple back into comission recently. I'd forgotten how noisy those are!

But... HFR... I found a firmware version with HFR in the filename in my archives, I'm damned if I can remember if it was necessary for The Hobitt, I'm damned if I can fully remember how to apply firmware to them, and I couldn't get the monitor app to connect on my W10 laptop anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Marco Giustini View Post
            There was an window option which installed on the openings of the MI preventing dust and dirt from reaching the wheel. That would be the only MI setup allowed in my cinema - if I had one
            Yes, I put the windows on all of them. That only slowed the dust collection down by about two months. Some of the famous towns in the western States have unbelievably dirty air, especially in winter with everyone using their fireplaces. I even had to change the filters in the NC-2000's every three to four months in some locations.

Comment

A cinema sold and the seller terminated the Real-D contract, returning the adapters. New owner wants 3D probably for Avatar. Silver screens in good shape. So he now has 2 good used MI units. We have a decent stock of wheels and other spares.

Comment

Hello.

Somebody recently offered us an used MasterImage MI-2100 unit asking for around €400...
                Maybe it could be a good idea to install it with our old Barco DP3000 regarding to the new AVATAR2 release.
                As we never had a 3D system, I'm not sure if this MasterImage needs somekind of licence to work together wit our projector, or If I need anything else (other than the master Image 3D googles, of course).

Is it easy to install?
                Do I need a silver metallic screen instead of our white screen?
                What do I need to check in this MI-2100 unit to be in good condition? (filter... etc...)
                Is MasterImage system still compatible with newers 3D films like AVATAR2?

Thanks!!

Comment

Is it easy to install?
                  Yes, not bad. Position it and set the 3D height to pass the beam through the wheel sectors. Don't put light through it for long (or at all) with it not spinning. Connect the signal cable. Set up the projector for MI 3D. Should work.
                  Yes. That's the main expense of using it.
                  What do I need to check in this MI-2100 unit to be in good condition? (filter... etc...)
                  The wheel sections should be clean and not show a "burnt" spot or bar through the sectors. If it spins when powered up and run, the motor works. Without a projector supplying sync, it spins fairly slowly and I don't know of any way to test sync without seeing the image through 3D glasses.
                  Depends. MI had plans to run 60fps 3D but never actually did it as far as I know. It should do 48fps 3D unless it's on super early firmware.

Note that parts are not available. We have a few wheels and some electronic parts but likely have them available only to clients that purchased the systems from us.

Thanks!!​

Comment

Originally posted by Dave Macaulay View Post
                    Is it easy to install?
                    Yes, not bad. Position it and set the 3D height to pass the beam through the wheel sectors. Don't put light through it for long (or at all) with it not spinning. Connect the signal cable. Set up the projector for MI 3D. Should work.
                    Yes. That's the main expense of using it.
                    The wheel sections should be clean and not show a "burnt" spot or bar through the sectors. If it spins when powered up and run, the motor works. Without a projector supplying sync, it spins fairly slowly and I don't know of any way to test sync without seeing the image through 3D glasses.
                    Depends. MI had plans to run 60fps 3D but never actually did it as far as I know. It should do 48fps 3D unless it's on super early firmware.

Note that parts are not available. We have a few wheels and some electronic parts but likely have them available only to clients that purchased the systems from us.

Thanks!!​
                    Thanks for all this info, Dave.

AS far as we can´t change our screen now for a Silver one, we will continue with our 2D system

Regards

Comment

Working...
                    X