Recommended Infra-red system for Audio Description/Hearing Impaired tracks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended Infra-red system for Audio Description/Hearing Impaired tracks

Anyone recommend a good two channel infra-red system suitable for Audio Description and Hearing Impaired tracks. This will be used in association with an induction loop which is also carrying the Hearing Impaired track.

A prime requirement is that the emitter must be suitable for rear wall mounting - the receivers must therefore be capable of picking up the signal from this direction (I know there is an element of screen reflection too).

We tried the Phonic Ear system before without success as our customers found the tiny headset switches difficult to operate and the open headphone design proved distracting to other clients when audio description was 'leaking' into the theatre during quiet passages in the film. It's frustrating that someone with combined sensory needs (Hearing impaired AND visually impaired) challenges the system design.

A system that uses standard pluggable and swappable headphones would be ideal.

We are open to newer systems that may ultimately support closed captioning via the same transmitter/emitter.

The USL now Moving Image Technolgies is a good unit The emitor is aimed at the screen and reflects back into the audience

Comment

Thanks Gordon - saved me the trouble of a shameless plug!

The only requirement that our system might not quite meet would be "standard pluggable and swappable." If by that you mean regular headphones that plug into a 2.5" jack can can be bought on Amazon, then I'm afraid that our (formerly QSC/USL) system doesn't do that: you'd need our own headsets that have a built-in IR receiver, and are switchable between two mono channels: one for HI and the other for VI. The headsets run on a pair of AAA batteries, and will work with 1.2V NiMH rechargeables (800 mAH or higher recommended). Many of our customers keep a charger with batteries in it at the box office, and insert a fresh pair before handing the headset over to the customer.

A single IR emitter transmits the HI and VI audio, and closed caption data. The audio input for HI and VI is line level analog from the output of your processor: most commonly used ones (e.g. CP750, Trinnov, JSD, etc.) have RCA jacks on the back of them for easy plug and play. The emitter also has an Ethernet connection to the management LAN, through which it receives CCAP data from your DCP server. There is an easy web UI for setup and initial configuration, which is a set 'n forget deal.

One emitter will cover all but the largest houses. If we are talking about somewhere the size of the Odeon Leicester Square (for example), two would likely be needed: if necessary, multiple units can be daisy chained using a single BNC cable between them.

More info here - if you would like further information, including pricing and import/export formalities to the UK, feel free to contact sales {at} movingimagetech.com, or by phone to 00 1 714 751-7998 (eight hours behind the UK).

Comment

Leo, I am not sure if this is STILL the case but didn't the headsets always carry a 3.5mm receptacle on them for this purpose (or actually for interfacing with some old hearing aid systems)?

While were on the subject I notice that they got rid of the double panel version on the new price list and it says to just order two of the single part #. This leads me to think they may be doing away with the simple RF link between the panels? If not how will they know when you want two separate panels or one primary/secondary setup?

Comment

On the final version QSC made that we took over, selection between primary and secondary is done by flipping a DIP switch on the back. I haven't noticed a headphone jack on any of the sets I've tested recently, but there again I wasn't looking for one. Will check the next time I'm in the shop. But even if it's there, an IR-equipped headset is still needed (obviously) to receive the audio wirelessly.

Comment

The jack is still there. Its most popular use is for neck loops that work with hearing aids. It is located on the bottom of the right ear cups.

USLHeadsets.JPG

As for the dual system, there was an updated price sheet that, correctly, has you order one UPC-28C and one UPC-28. That said you should indicate that you want it as a dual so you get the extra bracket that allows both panels to be mounted next to each other (But angled). The original part number for that bar is/was IRBC-28.

IRBC-28.JPG

UPC28CD.JPG

Comment

Yeah... that makes more sense though personally I preferred the separate SKU as I think it left less room for error. but that's just my unsolicited opinion.

Comment

I agree. I will be pleasantly surprised if they think to include the coax cable and the dual bracket.

Comment

Working...
                X