What's this LAS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's this LAS?

Excuse my extreme ignorance, but there's often a bunch of KDMs included in a download labeled EN-LAS.

Spanish subtitles, or what? I never ingest these, I hate clutter. But what's the LAS stand for?

Thanks.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Latin American Spanish
    https://registry-page.isdcf.com/languages/

Comment

Subtitles or dubtitles?

Comment

You can look up the DCP naming convention - I don't have it atm. I believe this is the OCAP/CCAP subtitling language, Latin American Spanish.
        The keys are quite small files and don't add up to enough data to matter. Some distributors send every possible KDM for a feature to avoid the hassle of dealing with calls for KDMs from a site deciding to play an OCAP show or a different language VF for HI or ethnic customers. All variations have different UUIDs and need specific KDMs.
        You don't need to ingest any OV or VF content you won't be using.

Comment

Subtitles or dubtitles?
          EN_LAS=English with Latin American Subtitles
          EN_XX= English, no subtitles.

Get a look at that aspect ratio, btw. We just ran it, so I will warn those of you with movable side masking the the opening Company Production cards (what ever you call those things before the titles) are not all in 1.55, so a few will show on your masking. But screw them. If they are going to release a movie in 1.55 they should make the whole picture in 1.55.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin McCaffery View Post

I will warn those of you with movable side masking the the opening Company Production cards (what ever you
            call those things before the titles) are not all in 1.55, so a few will show on your masking. But screw them.
            Netflix is great at having the opening logo/production title cards AND often the end credits in a totally different
            aspect ratio than the feature. (If the feature is anything other than 1.77 ) Last year at Telluride I ran some
            Netflix release that was 1:33, and, at the beginning in addition to the NETFLIX ID, (1.77) it had additional title
            logo cards for several other co-production companies- - in at least 3 different aspect ratios. And the end credits
            went back to 1:77 but fortunately, they were composed so that they (mostly) fit inside the 1:33 masking area,
            so I didn't bother to muck around with the masking for the one or long lines in the credits where a few letters
            spilled onto the black. The final NETFLIX logo went "full screen" but their end logos are only about 2.5sec long,
            and at that point curtains are closing, lights are raising, and 99% of the people were out of the auditorium anyway.
            To re-quote Martin: "screw them" lol

Comment

Spoken Language-Written Language (captions/subtilties)

Comment

Seriously. How hard is it to conform title cards? Or are they contractually obligated to show them in the biggest aspect ratio available within the specific container?

Comment

They simply have no idea what cinema is.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin McCaffery View Post
                    Seriously. How hard is it to conform title cards? Or are they contractually obligated to show them in the biggest aspect ratio available within the specific container?
                    What Carsten said...

How many of those Netflix and Amazon Studios DCP releases have been complete screwups? Those cinema engagements are just there to get their titles considered for an Accademy Award amongst others...

Comment

That's all very strange because Netflix does have very specific capture and framing requirements: https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.c...est-Practices#

Comment

Well, that's for capturing/aqusition, not for presentation. You can also see there that they think strictly 16:9

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Brooks View Post
                          That's all very strange because Netflix does have very specific capture and framing requirements: https://partnerhelp.netflixstudios.c...est-Practices#
                          Yeah, everything in there screams video first. In their mind, everything ends up in a box with an AR of 1.77...

Comment

Working...
                          X