Barco 3000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barco 3000

I just purchased (very cheap / dumpster fire cheap) a used BARCO 3000 (they said it was a Barco 32B) .... so I am looking for parts starting with a POWER BOX. Maybe a PDF Barco manual. Any help will be most welcome.

"the ugly overweight step child of the barco family."

Comment

I can get the service manual to you over the weekend. By power box, do you mean the external lamp power supply unit that sits in the pedestal? If so, I know where there likely still is one: I upgraded a 3000 to a DP2K-36BLP at a drive-in around two years ago, and AFAIK, the LPSU is still in the pedestal. The 3000 itself was dumpstered, though (light engine had failed). I can confirm that with the owner and put you in touch if you like, though shipping one of those beasties from Southern California won't be cheap.

Comment

"the ugly overweight step child of the barco family."
        Funny. I told him the DP3000 is the red-headed stepchild.
        I have sent Allan the installation and service manuals. I believe he got the projector and lens but not the ballast, no idea why that wasn't included. Maybe the really old ones have external ballasts but the 3000 is the only one I've seen with it. The projector alone is extremely heavy, and that ballast is as well.

Comment

Leo / Dave... thank you in advance for the BARCO 300 pdf MANUALS.... I can educate myself while I wait for the POWER BOX and LAMPHOUSE to arrive.

YES, I will take the contact data on that POWER BOX (Barco's name for it) sitting in California. Happy to buy and pickup personally in the Fall of 2022.

PLEASE tell me more about how & cost to "upgraded a Barco 3000 to a DP2K-36BLP" for a drive in.... my service Guy (Dave) just loves when I propose such off beat projects.

THX

Comment

Originally posted by Allan Barnes
            PLEASE tell me more about how & cost to "upgraded a Barco 3000 to a DP2K-36BLP" for a drive in....
            1.. Buy a DP2K-32BLP and have it shipped to the site.
            2. Assemble 4-5 strongly built males.
            3. Disconnect the DP3000.
            4. With the assistance of the 4-5 strongly built males, take the DP3000 down three flights of stairs, while they teach you new expletives in the process (I learned the Spanish for "donkeyf----r" that way), and set it by the side of the booth hut to await the dumpster. As an alternative, we would have preferred to throw it out the window, but the window wasn't big enough. If dumpster service isn't available, move the DP3000 to the middle of the parking lot, place a small quantity of Semtex in the lamphouse, set the detonator timer and retire to a safe distance.
            5. Haul the new projector up the stairs using the same method, and put it on the pedestal. Mount chillers on projector, make connections, power up and run diagnostics, etc.
            6. Buy your assistants a decent lunch while waiting for it to get dark so you can do Scheimpflug, colors, convergence, etc.

Sorry - sarcasm irresistible. You can't upgrade an actual Series 1 projector in the same way that you can upgrade a B or C series Series 2 xenon projector to laser phosphor, essentially by replacing the lamp power supply modules with laser driver modules, the lamphouse with a laser unit, and mounting chillers on top of the chassis (the process is a little more detailed that that, but this is essentially what it consists of).

I know that we simply didn't touch the lamp power supply module in the pedestal apart from disconnecting it from the power and the projector, and so will contact its owner on Monday for you.

Comment

Sarcasm is accepted (with love) In Canada the preferred forms of abuse are delivered in French.

Being "the cheapest Man in Show business or is that the laziest Man in Show business" maybe I should by a used DP2K-32BLP.

Please contact the POWER BOX owner and send him my email address... we'll pickup this October and pay cash (usd)

THX.

Comment

Allan,

Just to check you are aware that the DP3000 is long discontinued and with no spares available. Any fault on that beast will likely result in having a very heavy paperweight in your projection booth. Not saying you shouldn't try to revive that machine, just bear that in mind when you invest money on it.

Comment

"Cheapest man in show business" is a busy category.

Comment

INTERESTING.... BARCO 3000 has 2 different rated POWER BOXES..... you learn something new everyday.... maybe some of it will be useful.

Comment

We have a DP100 sitting around that I think might use the same ballasts.
                      I can see if we'd be willing to let them go.
                      I believe the number you need depends on lamp size.

Comment

I've just looked at the installation manual. It's called the "power box" because it supplies card cage power as well as lamp power. I assumed that it worked the same way as the external lamp power supplies in older NECs - it just provided the DC lamp power, with the card cage power coming from a separate SMPS inside the projector. But that's not the case here, so it seems. Annoyingly, that means that Allan has no way of knowing if his projector is actually working and OK until he can hook it up to a power box.

I've emailed my contact to ask if his power box is still where we left it. It'll be the bigger of the two, because that projector used 6.5kW bulbs.

Comment

THE DIFFERENCE IN "POWER BOXES" (after reading) APPEARS ONLY TO BE THE INPUT POWER VOLTAGE / 220 vs 208 / BUT I STAND TO BE CORRECTED by my BETTERS.

Comment

Working...
                          X