• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for Updating Projection Room - LOW COST

Hi all,

I'm looking for relatively cheap suggestions for the following items:

- Audio rack - the one's we have currently are all old and decrepit

- CRU drive docking stations - to ingest DCPs - will be easier since we do not have a TMS

On the note of a TMS, the theater only has two screens - should we even bother getting a TMS?

Also looking for recommendations for a whole new 5.1 audio surround sound system for each theater - again, low price

Cheers

About the TMS, it might become handy, especially if you need to move DCPs from one server to another a lot and want to schedule once for both screens. Or if you want to keep more DCPs than the servers would be "happy" with.
    Apparently, you are not working with Dolby DSS servers.
    So, you might want to explore low budget solutions like CinéDigital Manager. What would be the best for you, though, depending on equipment and use, is up to you to decide. After all, you keep the specifics unrevealed. (What kind of servers? Do they use a common network where managing equipment may be added? Could it be that a TMS, or LMS, or even NAS, integrated to this unconfirmed network would make things easier than CRU docking stations?)

Comment

Right now, we do not have any servers or any TMS. I’m also kind of new to this; so could anyone give me a quick breakdown on what both are?

The TMS runs on the servers?

I know we have something Dolby laying around that was disconnected once the theater was switched over to digital, not sure what they are I would have to look - but that would be a few weeks with everything that’s going on right now.

Our current setup is the same projector for each theater - Christie Solaria One +. Both have IMBs - more specifically NetGear ReadyNas 2100.

Comment

The TMS runs on any standard computer - ideally with some storage space, but I guess that can be omitted since the projector attached NAS can hold more content than typical other IMS and is easier expandable. In larger installations, they use a beefy dedicated server for the TMS, but in your case, it could be a decent off-the shelf PC.
        CineDigital Manager is free to try for two auditoriums, have a go! This machine could also solve some other needs - e.g. receiving DCP-o-matic DCPs from a remote machine and distribute them to both projectors ;-)

- Carsten

Comment

Look at Cine Digital Manager it is a robust TMS that is scalable

Comment

We already have a computer attached to one of the projector's - I believe it's for the cinema management company so they can remotely access our projectors. Could I use that one?

Edit: and how does it connect to Christie?

Comment

You need to talk to someone in charge to find out wether that machine can be used for installing a basic TMS package. If the cinema management company uses it for remote assistance, it certainly has the necessary network interfaces set up to connect to both projectors/NAS. I am not sure wether CineDigital Manager supports the Christie IMB-S2, but I think so.

Maybe you want to ask your cinema mangement company about it. Maybe they will help with the install. Setting a TMS up from scratch with no experience will be not so easy.

- Carsten

Comment

I received an e-mail the other day from an acquaintance asking if I had any advice for upgrades he could do in his projection room during the viral closure. I told him the best advice I could give is to rip out all the projectors and replace them with equipment to manufacture either hand sanitizer or toilet paper, and he'd make a fortune.

Comment

Don't tell me it's toilet paper in the US as well?

I actually changed our Marquee today from saying 'stay well - temporarily closed' to 'No toilet paper - temporarily closed'.
                  Not joking.

Comment

Take a picture of your marquee and post it here for all to enjoy!!

Comment

I've been handing out toilet paper to the neighborhood. It's the professional kind of TP that fits like 3 or 4 times the amount on a single roll... We had this in storage for like 4 years now, after we did a SNAFU on an order back then (someone, probably me, added a zero in the wrong place). We've been living off that stockpile for the last 4 years, but it's gone now... I don't know what people do with TP, but since cigarettes are uniformly outlawed, it seems to become the new form of payment in times of crisis.

Comment

Originally posted by Carsten Kurz View Post
                        I am not sure wether CineDigital Manager supports the Christie IMB-S2, but I think so.
                        CDM supports Christie IMB-S2, and the basic version is free for two screens. Moreover, CDM allows to export dcps directly from NAS even after the Christie IMB ingested and destroyed them...

Comment

Maybe we should have a separate thread for this stuff:

a1hbfy5u5hn41.jpg?width=640&height=403&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=176a0c95828d90691b7d86a1d276c6986e725402.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
                            I've been handing out toilet paper to the neighborhood.

You will regret this very soon ;-)

Comment

Regret is unlikely. Probably some will remember it and patronize the cinema when life gets more normal.
                              The paper mills are still running (I think) and stores are getting deliveries... but morons/profiteers are still quickly buying it: out. I watched a man go in and out of a grocery to buy his two package limit 5 times over before the store manager told him no more or he would be trespassed. Probably went to another store to check for any stock.
                              Years ago as a batchelor I bought a case of commercial TP and used it for years. Rolls hard like a piece of wood. Consumer stuff is made in loose bulky rolls so you buy more air than paper. One 10 inch commercial roll must equal 100 or more rolls of Charmin, and trying to squeeze the big roll will just hurt your hand.
                              Last edited by Dave Macaulay; 03-26-2020, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X