DCPs of old film logos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DCPs of old film logos

Does anyone know of an archive maintaining and making available DCPs of some of the more famous old film logo trailers? I'm thinking here of the various THX logo trailers, the original Dolby Digital and DTS logos etc. There are files for such things scattered all across the internet, including many simply on YouTube, but it seems likely that some obsessives out there somewhere have made DCPs out of whatever material could be cobbled together.

I don't know of any one archive of them (yet - this is something that's been on my todo list for ages now, but I don't have the time to do it properly right now). And beware of just going onto YouTube to get them, as the quality just isn't up there. Especially in sound - YouTube only added support for 5.1 audio mid last year, so any video you see uploaded before then is just stereo, and nearly all of the recently uploaded sound logos I know of were only uploaded in stereo anyway.

I was actually playing around this week with recording the Dolby Digital tracks straight off the film (keeping everything in the digital domain so not converting to analog and then back to digital), and one of the first things I tried was the THX Broadway logo, and then Dolby's Aurora logo. It's amazing how different the full 35mm sound mix is to the versions on YouTube - they're not just missing the surround channels, it's an entirely different mix. I made a comparison video of THX and Aurora if you're interested. The videos are just from YouTube, my DIY film scanner is still in progress! For best results obviously listen on a surround sound system, but it should be apparent even on just computer speakers.

Comment

Hi Daniel,

I was actually able to grab some 5.1 audio tracks of these trailers/logos off a dts disc. They are truly impressive. To complement the image, I guess these theatrical dts discs are a valuable source for a DCP conversion.
      Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 01-15-2022, 07:41 AM.

Comment

There are some archives on the internet, that have those trailers in varying qualities. Some of them might be sufficiently decent to convert to DCP, but many of them show heavy compression artifacts.

Maybe we should start some archive for those trailers/snipes that have since been released as DCP, as long as they aren't encrypted. There may be some copyright limitations to it, but as long as we keep the distribution within bounds, this should be doable.

Comment

https://thedigitaltheater.com/ is a good source for high quality trailers in MKV and MP4 format. You will have to make your own DCP's.

Capture.JPG

Comment

I have found almost all the logos and even Dolby Listen which were very high res were scanned with a mono sound reader rendering them rather useless

Comment

Just uploaded today, what a "coincidence": ;-)
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT0jRA4b78s

Comment

Working...
              X