Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to set the time of DOLBY DSS200 server to correct time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to set the time of DOLBY DSS200 server to correct time?

Hi all friends,
    We have one standalone server running in an museum.But its time is 3 minutes fast.The museum want to set the server run under the schedule like 9:00 10:00...... So it should be set to accurate time.
    I set the system time in BIOS but seems not work.The BIOS date is not right but not setable.And also no info in manual. How should I do?

Regards,
    Mike

You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

The time it uses to determine KDM validity, which is also the time displayed at the top left of the Show Manager UI's window, is not the time from the motherboard's BIOS, but rather the "secure clock" time from the media block - either the cat862 internal media block or the cat745 IMB, depending on which your DSS200 is using.

The good news is that because it has only drifted by three minutes, it is within the DCI "budget" of six minutes in every year, meaning that it can be corrected.

The best way to do this, and if you are using a cat862, the only way, is to sync the DSS200 to an NTP server, and then enable the secure clock update as so:

DSS200_secureclock.JPG

The secure clock options are grayed out in this screenshot, because it was taken while the media block was actually playing. But when it's stopped, you want to check enable secure time update, then reboot the server.

Note - you must configure the DSS200 to sync to a valid stratum 0 or 1 Network Time Protocol (NTP) server first. It will read the time from the NTP source during the boot sequence, and then reset the secure clock accordingly. You can find how to do this in the installation manual for the DSS200: email cinemasupport [at] dolby.com if you don't have it. I don't feel comfortable posting instructions for running the config script and changing the configuration settings (the ones that can't be changed from within the Show Manager UI) here, because if someone reading them tries it and makes a mistake, that could break communication between the server and the projector, thereby taking a screen down.

If your media block is a cat745, there is also a command line script that enables you to change the time in its secure clock directly. Again, Dolby customer support can give you the details of this if you should need it. But as long as the clock drift is under six minutes and you are able to sync the DSS200 to a valid NTP server, you shouldn't need it. Attached are instructions for configuring a Windows 10 PC to act as a NTP server, in case that's any help. It must be connected both to the Internet and to the DSS200, though.
    Attached Files

Comment

I guess the DSS200 is not the same as the DSS100. On the DSS100, the time on the top left hand side of the screen is actually the system time.
      I rebooted and reset the time the other day and the top left clock then displayed the correct time, which had previously been 3 minutes slow. I noticed at one time that I was able to see a KDM become valid as the clock ticked over to the valid time in the licence key.

With the projector on, I can enable secure time update and the current secure time will display. It has been within a few seconds of correct time for a number of years now, despite not ever in that time, to my knowledge, having synced to an NTP server. I have to wonder exactly what the purpose of the secure time is as show times and KDM times seem to be linked to the BIOS time.

I don’t know why Mike is unable to set the time in the BIOS settings. As long as you F10 at the right moment it should be almost to the exact second. The annoying thing is that the BIOS time seems to drift quite quickly and needs to be reset quite often. I know I could program the start times of shows 3 minutes earlier to allow for the time difference but that is a pain.

Comment

First off, BIOS time is UTC-0...ALWAYS.

If the DSS server (and they all set the same) cannot locate an NTP time source (they default to looking for the DSL show library at 192.168.241.2), they will update off the secure clock (it is possible to defeat this if one has a CAT745 since they are so awful at keeping time). So, it is best to set the secure clock first. In Leo's example above, the player isn't playing (orange indicator) but the tickbox for the Secure clock isn't ticked. Once that is done, you can set the secure clock. Once the secure clock is set and one reboots, it should come up at the correct time for the show clock. That said, if I'm actually present, I'll set the BIOS clock manually.

Lacking an NTP, the BIOS clock will be the show clock and when scheduled shows will start. The secure clock is the clock referenced for KDMs.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Foyster
          I have to wonder exactly what the purpose of the secure time is as show times and KDM times seem to be linked to the BIOS time.
          The purpose is to prevent fraud, by enabling an unscrupulous operator to play encrypted content at dates/times not permitted by the KDM, by changing the BIOS clock such that it is within the time window enabled by the KDM. You can change the BIOS clock to whatever you like, but, per DCI rules, you can only change a media block's secure clock within an annual "budget" of six minutes (300 seconds), to allow for drift in the secure clock. As Steve mentions, the secure clocks in the DSP100 and cat862 are pretty accurate: I have never come across one that has changed more than 1-2 minutes in a year. That is just as well, because Dolby has no fallback procedure for correcting them if they've drifted out of budget. All you can do is correct them by six minutes each year until they're correct again. The cat745 IMB, however, drifts a lot if powered down: I've seen as much as 1-2 hours a year. Probably for this reason, there is a procedure for making an out-of-budget adjustment, which Dolby can give you if you ask them for it. Other manufacturers will issue a one-time patch to use if this is needed, and GDC will correct it for you if you provide Teamviewer access to the server.

The bottom line to all of this is that setting up a NTP server for the DCP server to sync to during installation is important, and not a minor detail that can be skipped. I have seen this in many if not most single screen, non-TMS installations that I've serviced when a fault has been developed several years after a tech last touched it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post
            The time it uses to determine KDM validity, which is also the time displayed at the top left of the Show Manager UI's window, is not the time from the motherboard's BIOS, but rather the "secure clock" time from the media block - either the cat862 internal media block or the cat745 IMB, depending on which your DSS200 is using.

The good news is that because it has only drifted by three minutes, it is within the DCI "budget" of six minutes in every year, meaning that it can be corrected.

The best way to do this, and if you are using a cat862, the only way, is to sync the DSS200 to an NTP server, and then enable the secure clock update as so:

DSS200_secureclock.JPG

The secure clock options are grayed out in this screenshot, because it was taken while the media block was actually playing. But when it's stopped, you want to check enable secure time update, then reboot the server.

Note - you must configure the DSS200 to sync to a valid stratum 0 or 1 Network Time Protocol (NTP) server first. It will read the time from the NTP source during the boot sequence, and then reset the secure clock accordingly. You can find how to do this in the installation manual for the DSS200: email cinemasupport [at] dolby.com if you don't have it. I don't feel comfortable posting instructions for running the config script and changing the configuration settings (the ones that can't be changed from within the Show Manager UI) here, because if someone reading them tries it and makes a mistake, that could break communication between the server and the projector, thereby taking a screen down.

If your media block is a cat745, there is also a command line script that enables you to change the time in its secure clock directly. Again, Dolby customer support can give you the details of this if you should need it. But as long as the clock drift is under six minutes and you are able to sync the DSS200 to a valid NTP server, you shouldn't need it. Attached are instructions for configuring a Windows 10 PC to act as a NTP server, in case that's any help. It must be connected both to the Internet and to the DSS200, though.
            Thanks,LEO
            Yes,when the server stop playing,it cant be set.And I also set the System time in BIOS.Then reboot the server,it works.But after reboot again,it will goback 3 minutes forward like it used to be.
            I have the installation manual,but did not find the info of NPT server setup.Also send an email to dolbyhelp,still wating for reply.
            If can sent the manual include how to setup NTP server,it will help a lot.My email is osayan@163.com

Regards,
            Mike

Comment

And the DSS-200 is work with Cat.862

Comment

It's part of the config script (figure 3-45 in the manual Issue 4)

Comment

To all the friends,Dolby support has give me an email with how to set the time,both secure time and BIOS time,but also not working after second reboot.
                  So I run the Unconfig scipts and after reboot,the time is same to the actual time.No matter how many reboot.
                  So,I think the previous user's config setting cause this problem.

Comment

Have you checked you're not syncing to an NTP server that is giving you the wrong time?

Comment

After one night power off, the time go back again.

Comment

Originally posted by Elia Orselli View Post
                        It's part of the config script (figure 3-45 in the manual Issue 4)
                        I only have the issue 1, can you send one to me: osayan@163.com

Comment

Thank for all the replies.
                          I have try almost all the solutions but only set up an NTP server works.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Qu View Post
                            Thank for all the replies.
                            I have try almost all the solutions but only set up an NTP server works.
                            So it works now?

Actually, setting up an NTP server is the way it should work...

But you need a GOOD NTP server for it to work, one that is true Sratum 0 or 1, without fudging the clock...

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post

So it works now?

Actually, setting up an NTP server is the way it should work...

But you need a GOOD NTP server for it to work, one that is true Sratum 0 or 1, without fudging the clock...
                              Yes, the NTP server is working,the server time is accurate。
                              I'm also worried about the stability of the NTP server, so that's last option I will choose.

Comment

Working...
                              X