Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping the equipment going during a shutdown

So I've shut down.

I have a Christie CP-2210 projector and a GDC SR-1000 server. I'm wondering what I should do during a prolonged (hopefully not too prolonged!) shutdown.

I have the projector plugged into a UPS that's currently switched off. (I usually shut everything off overnight anyway.)

I'm thinking that now I should switch the UPS on to power up the projector, then press "on" on the projector to power up the server every so often to keep all of the doodads that need power happy. If I do all of that and then leave it all on that "high idle" for an hour or so, is that enough to do? Should I play a few trailers or something occasionally as well? And how often should I do any of this?

As a Drive-In in the north, we are "shut down" for months every year. We have Barco/Doremi and do monthly over night power ups. Haven't had any problems doing it this way since 2013. Actually, the first over-winter we were unaware of the power-up suggestions and it was off for 5 months without issue. We are likely going to delay our opening as there isn't anything worth playing until May at this point.

Comment

We automate this for our customers such that their equipment will run 1-hour a week. We do this at our Drive-In during the off season and it seems to have done a decent job of keeping things functional. Note, our southern most Drive-In (Virginia) has already opened for the season and I'm sure partly, they'll do okay because one can be socially isolated while at a Drive-In.

Comment

Drive-ins may be able to open with some snack bar restrictions, but will anyone go to them with no new "big" movies coming out? And even less appealing releases may be delayed soon if hardtops keep shutting down?

Comment

Our booker told me today that it's possible the studio offices will shut down, due to everyone's already working from home and they're running out of things to do, what with the big chains all beginning to close. So, if you're expecting to stay open, might be good to get a list of three or four weeks worth of crappy movies together, since that's all that will be available for a while.

Comment

Earlier tonight I was told not to send back the CRU drives that I have sitting here but just to hold them for a while.

Comment

Trying to come up with an easy list of media block cert batteries and down time info for people that may Google. This is what I have in my notes - please fill in others and/or correct errors.

Barco Alchemy ICMP - CR2477N battery, manufacturer recommends replacement every five years; software will not nag you.

Dolby DSP100 media block - rechargeable lithium battery on the board; not user replaceable. Don't know the manufacturer's recommendation but would suggest powering up the show player (DSP100) for at least 24 hours, monthly. No need to power up the DSS100 at the same time, but if its BIOS battery (CR2032) dies, you'll get an annoying "press F1 to continue" during the boot sequence until you replace it.

Dolby cat862 media block - rechargeable lithium battery on the board; not user replaceable. Don't know the manufacturer's recommendation but would suggest powering up the server and media block for at least 24 hours, monthly.

Dolby cat745 IMB - if the unit has not been modified by Dolby following a cert loss, CR2477N and CR2032 batteries; manufacturer recommends a replacement every 8 years; newer DSS software versions will give you a low battery voltage warning in system devices, but older ones won't. If the IMB has been modified, it'll have a lithium battery (roughly AA-sized) soldered onto the board, with a design life of 10 years; not user replaceable.

Dolby IMS 2000 and 3000 - rechargeable lithium battery on the board; not user replaceable. Don't know the manufacturer's recommendation but would suggest powering up the server and media block for at least 24 hours, monthly.

Doremi Dolphin media block - CR1220 battery; manufacturer recommends replacement every four years; software will nag you when due, IF the last replacement has been manually entered into the log when it was done. The nag is based on time, not voltage.

Doremi IMB - BR2032 battery; manufacturer recommends replacement every four years; software will nag you when due, IF the last replacement has been manually entered into the log when it was done. The nag is based on time, not voltage.

Enigma board - rechargeable lithium battery on the board; not user replaceable. Don't know the manufacturer's recommendation but would suggest powering up the server and media block for at least 24 hours, monthly.

GDC SX-3000 - 2 x Tadiran TL-2450 batteries; manufacturer recommends replacement every 18 months. No software nag. GDC will send you a replacement battery set on request if the unit is in warranty.

ICP - Real time clock battery is BR2330. You can leave it until it dies to replace it, but if it does so, you'll need to reset the clock before you can play DCI content again. The certificate battery is soldered onto the board, and not user-replaceable. When it dies (design life of 10 years), you need a new ICP.

USL CML-2200 IMS - CR2477N and CR2032 batteries; replacement procedure is the same as for Dolby cat745. Don't know the officially recommended replacement interval.

Recommended replacement intervals for non-rechargeable batteries should likely be shortened if the media block is powered up for below average hours (i.e. significantly less than10-12 hours a day, seven days a week)

Comment

Dolby IMS 2000 and 3000 - rechargeable lithium battery on the board; not user replaceable. Don't know the manufacturer's recommendation but would suggest powering up the server and media block for at least 24 hours, monthly.
                According to IMS2000 and IMS3000 installation manual:
                If a Dolby IMS2000/IMS3000 has been in storage for at least six months, we recommend charging the RTC battery. To charge the RTC battery, you must place the IMS into a projector and then power on the projector. The Dolby IMS RTC battery requires 60 hours of continuous power for a full charge.

Comment

Thanks Elia. For ease of reference, here is an updated version in table form:

Barco Alchemy ICMP (all variants) CR2477N Manufacturer recommends every five years. No software nag when change is due.
                  Dolby DSP100 Rechargeable Unknown; recommend powering up for 24 hours monthly Battery is on the board; not field replaceable.
                  Dolby cat862 Rechargeable Unknown; recommend powering up for 24 hours monthly Battery is on the board; not field replaceable.
                  Dolby cat745 CR2477N & CR2032 Manufacturer recommends every eight years. If IMB has been repaired by Dolby, it may have an AA-sized lithium battery soldered on the board. This has a design life of 10 years and is not user replaceable. Software nag on later Show Manager versions, based on voltage.
                  Dolby IMS2000/3000 Rechargeable Manufacturer recommends powering up for 60 hours every six months if the IMS is unused and in storage. Battery is on the board; not field replaceable.
                  Doremi Dolphin (older Doremi servers) CR1220 Manufacturer recommends every four years. Software nag, but only accurate if the last battery swapout was entered into the log.
                  Doremi IMB BR3032 Manufacturer recommends every four years. Software nag, but only accurate if the last battery swapout was entered into the log.
                  Enigma board Rechargeable Unknown; recommend powering up for 24 hours monthly No software nag.
                  GDC SX-3000 2 x Tadiran TL-2450 Manufacturer recommends every 18 months. GDC will ship you a battery set free of charge on request if the unit is in warranty. No software nag.
                  Series 2 ICP Real Time Clock BR2330 Manufacturer recommends every five years. The ICP will not be bricked if it dies, but you will not be able to play DCI content until you replace it and reset the clock. The certificate battery has a design life of 10 years and is not field replaceable. When it dies, you need a new ICP.
                  USL CML-2200 IMS CR2477N and CR2032 Unknown, but board chassis (and replacement procedure) is the same as Dolby cat745. Unknown if there is any software nag.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Cox View Post
                    So I've shut down.

I have a Christie CP-2210 projector and a GDC SR-1000 server. I'm wondering what I should do during a prolonged (hopefully not too prolonged!) shutdown.

I have the projector plugged into a UPS that's currently switched off. (I usually shut everything off overnight anyway.)

I'm thinking that now I should switch the UPS on to power up the projector, then press "on" on the projector to power up the server every so often to keep all of the doodads that need power happy. If I do all of that and then leave it all on that "high idle" for an hour or so, is that enough to do? Should I play a few trailers or something occasionally as well? And how often should I do any of this?
                    Fire up DCP-o-matic and convert some of your favorite movies into DCPs and watch them together with your closest family members.

Comment

The Barco ICMP will trhow a notification message when the detected battery voltage is low (indicator for aging and approaching EOL of the battery). From the service manual:
                      • 10514 WARNING "icmp - battery low warning"
                      Cause: The battery voltage is under a warning level and could be soon depleted. Replace the battery as soon as possible or the system could become totally inoperative.

Solution: Replace the ICMP battery following the Barco procedure.
                      • 10515 ERROR "icmp - battery low error"
                      Cause: The battery voltage is under a critical level. The system is about to become or is already totally inoperative

Solution: Replace the ICMP module and return the old one to the provider.

Comment

Leo, It is my understanding that the Doremi IMB battery is to be replaced every 4 years provided that the IMB is in use. I was led to believe that the battery is only good for 6 months in a non-powered state. If memory serves, this was on the box that it was delivered in.

Comment

Doremi IMB battery replacement Tech Bulletin says:

'The battery must be replaced every 5 years.' The Maintenance timer for the battery swap is 5 years, but after 4 years, the first notification is issued, so there is enough time to schedule the tech visit.

This is very conservative. Of course they know what a braindead media block means, so, they absolutely want to avoid it. However, aging equipment, corroding contacts, deposits building up on circuit boards, high operating temperatures, very low currents - bad combination.

6 months shelf live - I think that is way too short for such a product, it would make it very hard to maintain production, shipping and stocking, given that the IMB would always need to be returned to the factory in case of a drained battery.

- Carsten
                          Last edited by Carsten Kurz; 03-17-2020, 03:03 PM.

Comment

FWIW here is a Dolby Cat.862 media block showing the lithium cells.
                            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
                            This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

And the gold caps (low right, green). I think this has never been documented officially, but, someone (Steve?) once wrote that these GoldCaps and batteries work in a cascade. Short term power outage is bridged by the GoldCaps, and only when these are drained, the non-rechargable lithium cells are used. So, in regular operation or with short storage periods, these batteries are never used. They do still die after a longer time span, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X