No announcement yet.

JSD100 blank display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, the HAL ST-6000 has the CRT tuning scope in the center. Lots of switches and options, but I find my TU-170 easier to use. I use RTTY on HF. As mentioned on https://w6iwi.org/rtty, there is also ITTY which has various Teletype feeds. There is also iTelex, which runs Telex over the Internet. It's at https://www-i--telex-net.translate.g..._tr_pto=nui,sc . I have not tried it, though.

Comment

I guess the last time I've seen a telex machine being in actual production was somewhere back in the 1990s. Some hotel chains around here actually used Telex punch tape for a while, to exchange booking information, which was apparently more cost-effective than leased lines with terminals on them.

But let's give the topic back to Elia's original problem, if it still persists.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Hallikainen View Post
        The blank display on a JSD-100 is generally due to a poor connection between the main board header and the ribbon cable driving the front panel. It can often be fixed by unplugging the cable, then plugging it back in. For a while, the ribbon cable connectors did not have gold plaiting causing this issue. The factory firmware restore SHOULD work, but if it somehow got corrupted, the unit probably has to be returned. We used to send out preloaded ICD-2 units in a "Programmer to go" mode that would allow full reprogramming of the microcontroller. We sent those overseas where returning a unit would be real expensive. I don't know if that's still done. Ideally reseating the cable will fix it!
        Sounds like a job for one of the CAIG contact de-oxidizers. A tiny bit of that stuff applied with a q-tip and that display will never go out again....

Comment

Indeed that would be a good solution, but it appears the problem is deeper than just a bad display connection. As mentioned earlier, there is a parallel bus that goes to the front panel, the DSPs, the rear panel, and the Ethernet controller. Since the system crashed (watchdog timeout) while trying to initialize the Ethernet controller, it appears there is something wrong on the parallel bus.

When I saw the original "blank display" issue that could be fixed by reseating the front panel connector, the system still operated (passed sound, could be controlled over Ethernet, etc.), but the front panel did not work. The issue here appears deeper.

I think the unit needs to be returned to the factory. But, one more thing to try is to unplug the front panel from the main PCB and unplug the output module on the rear panel. There are various output modules available that drive different numbers of channels, AES3 outputs, BluLink, etc. Anyway, it would be interesting to see the RS232 power on self test with these pulled.

Good luck!

Harold

Comment

Harold - Did the 100 ever get a BluLink output module? I don't think I remember that but I do recall the funky AES output version with the gang of RJ45s.

jsdaes.png
            Attached Files

Comment

You're right! It was only the JSD-60 that got BluLink.

Comment

Originally posted by Harold Hallikainen View Post
                I think the unit needs to be returned to the factory. But, one more thing to try is to unplug the front panel from the main PCB and unplug the output module on the rear panel. There are various output modules available that drive different numbers of channels, AES3 outputs, BluLink, etc. Anyway, it would be interesting to see the RS232 power on self test with these pulled.
                I've already tested the boot process without the front panel (and the result was as always ABCDEFG), now I've removed also the output card, but the boot ends again with G:
                Code:
                ABCDEFG
                WDT timeout, PC=0x9d00e110, ProcessNum=0
                Today support team answered my case: RMA needed

Comment

Sorry it wasn't something simple!

Comment

No problem: I have to admit that I bought this unit with the display issue hoping that the repair procedure was the flat cable reseat, as happens with some JSD60

Comment

I just read this....so you did bought it, as i did watch for it also. Anyway, i do have great deal of experiance servicing those things, is you're interested to sell unit or send for repair let me know!

Comment

Working...
                      X