Barco DP-2000 End Of Life

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barco DP-2000 End Of Life

Hi all, A rude shock - In the middle of our School Holidays, my dependable DP-2000 refused to boot. Red Tailight. Logs show the Battery in the Gore Wrap TI Cinema Interface Board is flat. The machine has been running every night since late December, so not lack of charging. A simple battery replacement should get it going... . 1. If the keys are not already lost. 2. If the Gore Wrap could be opened. 3. If there is a changeover service for boards. Anyhow, it seems that the 12 year life of the DP-2000 has come to an end (and I don't own a boat!). I wonder if anyone has any suggestions? or indeed a working TI board that is available..... Sad to see a dead machine with such a simple problem. My 2 Cinemeccanica Vic 8's sit nearby, ready to roll. Another thought, can someone tell me the voltages used for the battery charger - (Black, Yellow & Red wired, like a computer fan). Paul. dromanadrivein.com.au

Once the GORE board goes dead, that is it. It's certificate is gone and the board is effectively trash. I don't know how the actual TI board is modified when they add the GORE part (Christie, when they did theirs could modify several versions of TI boards). That said, if you could lay your hands on a non-GORE TI board you could get your projector going again. You'd likely need to re-run the TI update once installed to get the right firmware on it and for your light engine. You should also have backup files of your PCF, Screen and even TGA test patterns (make a full back up of the TI board) to load onto any replacement.

Comment

Gooday Steve. I suppose I am wondering if there is any avenue to have the battery replaced and the keys reinstalled. With the series 2 IMB boards, if the battery is bad, they supply a refurbished board with keys, and the old one is sent back to America to be refurbished. As for the Gore wrap, it seems that there is a light sensor inside the black wrap, and the wrap itself is carbon impregnated and will break a circuit if opened. Thanks for the comments.

Comment

Barco, if something is within warranty, they are all about return and refurb. If it is out of warranty, they just want you to buy new (sort of a penalty for not buying warranty). Barco/Cinionic's parts warranty is not their strong suit. They only warrant parts 90-days, even very expensive light engines. I've found them, in practice, to be a little lenient on the 90-days but by and large, their warranty only covers DOA/infant mortality, when it comes to parts. For the numerous Enigmas, they had no interest in repair/return unless they were in warranty. I think you'll find that fi you have their ICMP(-X) server that their policy with respect to repairs to be the same. If in warranty, sure send it back, if out of warranty, buy new.

As such, I'm unaware of any program they have for repair/return or advance replacement for a GORE board.

I just checked the parts lists for the DP2000 and despite most everything for it now End of Life/End of Service (there are parts that are common to S2 projectors so those are still supported, naturally), the TI board both with and without GORE are still listed as available. The web site could be wrong though.

Comment

Barco announced end of service/parts for series 1 last year, if I remember right. So, the only option would be to buy a used gore board or used series 1 projector, and hope for THAT battery to last somewhat longer. Unfortunately, Paul, you were pretty late buying a series 1, series 2 started shortly afterwards, so that failure appears to come somewhat prematurely to you.

Comment

Good chance that if you contact Barco or Cinionic for your service area, they'll still have some limited stock of the GORE boards. Those being EOL doesn't necessarily mean they're all out-of-stock, it simply means there is no more guarantee they'll keep them in stock for you. For example, I bought a high-voltage module for a BarcoReality 909 from Barco some 7 years ago, for a customer still using the thing in production up to this very day. The thing went EOL somewhere back in 2003... All in all, it looks like most of those hated GORE boards eventually survived much longer than we previously anticipated, so there may still be "new-old-stock" available.

Comment

Check the Barco web site, the GORE boards and the non-GORE TI boards are not listed as EOL, at this time.

Comment

Yeah, interesting. I guess they must still have plenty in stock...

Comment

This is what NEC did when they wound down support for their Series 1 projectors: for as long as they had parts left they would sell them to you, but when they were gone, they were gone. Given the publicity Barco/Cinionic did when they announced EOL for theirs, I thought it would be case of them ceremonially heaving all their remaining Series 1-specific parts inventory into the dumpster on the morning after the last day, but it seems that they're going the same route as NEC.

Comment

Well, with their atrocious 90-day warranty, the risk of selling those old stocks is pretty minimal and as long as you sell more than the warehouse bills you for stocking them, there is no need for them to throw those parts into the dumpster.

Comment

But if it's a choice between selling a part that will keep a decade-old projector going for a couple of years longer, or selling a new projector, we know where the juicier margins lie. Kudos to Cinionic for not being as aggressive in the forced obsolescence game as it looked like they might be when they made the end of S1 support announcement.

Comment

Note, just because the web site doesn't have the EOL on them doesn't mean that they are really available so it worth asking.

Comment

I had the same problem a few year ago, found a used gore board for 6000, Bargo does not have ot repair them. other wise its only good for parts

Comment

Working...
                          X