Popcorn oil leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popcorn oil leaks

For a long time the bag-in-box disconnects on our popcorn machine oil hoses have leaked - oil seems to just seep through. Replacing the hoses and the connectors doesn't seem to make any difference.

In the past few months, a similar thing is happening on our butter machine too.

Is there a trick to making these things not drip?

Is it a barbed, plastic fitting with an adjustable hose clamp?

Are the fitting and the hose the right size for each other? I'm sure they are. Just running down the list of possibilities.

Another thing would be to make sure that you don't over tighten the band clamp. Over tightening can deform the fitting or damage the hose and cause leaks.

Comment

Like Randy indicated, do you know where it leaks? At the bag-in-box connector, somewhere at the hose itself or at the fixed connection point? My favorite solution for making connections leak-proof is good-old PTFE tape, also known as Teflon tape. There have been some discussions whether or not PTFE tape is considered food-safe, as the whole discussion about the use of PTFE in non-stick kitchen gear started, but as far as I can check now, PTFE tape is still considered food safe.

Comment

That's what barbed fittings are for. Properly done, you shouldn't need any tape or sealant.

At least, barbed fittings are what I remember. If it's a different kind of fitting, I'm off in the weeds.

Comment

It's kind of hard to tell whether it's coming through the connector itself or somewhere else and just running down to the end of the connector. I'll see if I can get some pics.

Comment

Tracing the origin of liquids is often pretty interesting, especially oil, which has more of a tendency to stick to surfaces than water.

Originally posted by Randy Stankey View Post
            That's what barbed fittings are for. Properly done, you shouldn't need any tape or sealant.

At least, barbed fittings are what I remember. If it's a different kind of fitting, I'm off in the weeds.
            Most of the soft-drinks BIB connectors have a "barbed fitting" with some rubbery coating on them that seals pretty well. I don't know what system Mike is using and there is this big pond in between, which often resulted in different systems being invented on both sides... But the BIB oil containers I know usually come with a bit fiddly plastic connectors with a lid and a seal on them. The hose you insert there does have a barbed fitting on them, but a pretty broad and short one.

You're right, a correctly designed (barbed) fitting shouldn't leak, but I've used plenty of this PTFE tape for those situation where reality didn't meet specifications.

Comment

Yes, you're right. There are different types of connectors and different types of hose material. Each has its use and you can't mix them up.

Things I know from experience...not an expert...but things I have learned in my travels...

There is Tygon® tubing and braided tubing. There are hard plastic fittings, soft plastic and metal. There are "worm screw" clamps, spring style clamps and Band-It® clamps. Each type of fitting must be used with a particular type of tubing and a particular type of clamp. Clamps, fittings and hoses must be installed the right way or they won't work.

When I was a kid, my parents owned a bar and I spent a lot of time behind the bar.
              Can you imagine a twelve year old kid tending bar, changing out kegs of beer and filling coolers? Yes! That was me!

The beer tap system used a lot of plastic tubing, clamped onto barbed fittings and there were times when I had to help fix things.
              Let's just put it this way... In a pressurized beer system, improper installation of fittings, tubing or clamps can cause things to blow apart and spray beer all over the place.

Yes, oil can be a problem because it can seep through the smallest gaps but CO2 and pressurized beer have their problems, too.

Take it from that twelve year old kid who took many-a shower in cold beer!

BTW: What about gaskets?

Sometimes, there are fiddly, little gaskets that go in places you don't think to look.

Are you sure that all the gaskets are there that need to be?

Don't forget to check for damaged or decayed gaskets.

There was a cigar box full of gaskets in a cupboard behind the bar. I remember digging through that box to find the right gasket.

The one gasket you must have is always the hardest to find, just when you need it the most!

Comment

We're not having issues with our soda BIBs, thankfully -- they are all the new-ish threaded connectors. They just screw on like a bottle cap.

The popcorn machine and the butter topping dispenser both use the older style BIB connector that you have to use two hands to attach - the only gasket in it, as far as I can tell, is a small O-ring that is on the end that fits inside the bag's receptacle. (I'm still planning to attach a picture to this discussion but I've been out of town the past couple days and haven't had a chance yet.)

Comment

Working...
                X