Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mike Blakesley
    replied
    The guy probably hasn't been in a movie theater in 25 or 30 years. He's picturing a crowded lobby or auditorium packed with people as seen in promotional pictures.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Guttag
    replied
    Martin, my complaint with Dr. Facui's statements is that he seems to single out cinemas as particularly unsafe. The mask/no mask thing shouldn't be any different than any other indoor business. While in the lobby, we are exactly like other indoor businesses. While in the theatres, we are, seemingly, safer, as per statistical evidence. Nowhere does he mention that. The take away from his statements are that cinemas are, somehow, more risky that other indoor businesses.

I wonder if people will receive vaccination certificates to carry around. I could see businesses, until we have a herd immunity of vaccinated people, requiring proof of vaccination to enter a business as a means to remove the mask requirement and distancing. However, once you remove those safeguards, anyone that is not vaccinated is at risk (or significantly higher risk) so, for their safety, should not be permitted in the business.

Leave a comment:

• Martin McCaffery
    replied
    "walk into a theater without masks and feel like it's comfortable"

He's not saying we can't go to the movies for a year, but that we'll still need to wear masks and, I assume, social distance.

Not ideal, but adaptable. I won't be opening until things are under control in Montgomery. We'll see if there is a post Labor Day spike.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Guttag
    replied
    Fauci needs to back up his claims with evidence. If he is backing scientific method, at some point he needs to prove/disprove his hypothesis. Statistical evidence from around the globe is showing that cinemas have not been a cause for COVID-19 spread as there have been zero contact tracing that has been linked to cinemas from those countries that have had cinemas opened for months. Even in the US there have been zero evidence that any cinema has been the source of COVID-19 transfers.

NATO should be asking Dr. Fauci to please provide his study/evidence to support his hypothesis. It could be that the relatively unique nature of cinemas (everyone facing one direction, the ability to spread out better than on say airplanes) make cinemas notably BETTER places, as far as indoor businesses go. We should be reclassified as a safer business unless they can provide scientific evidence. Statistically, at this time, they are wrong.

https://youtu.be/BGIQR9SMtAk

Leave a comment:

• Fauci: it won't be safe to go to the theater until the back end of 2021

Sorry about the politically polarized source, but I can't find this reported anywhere else (except an even more politically polarized source):

Originally posted by Fox News
    Fauci: Americans can go to theaters once a vaccine has existed for 'almost a year' ... 'I would think by the time we get to the end of 2021,' he said

Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, believes Americans will be able to sit in theaters again once a coronavirus vaccine has existed "for almost a year."

Fauci was responding to a question from actress Jennifer Garner about when Americans can expect to return to theaters during an interview posted to Garner's Instagram page on Thursday.

"I think it’s going to be a combination of a vaccine that has been around for almost a year and good public-health measures," Fauci said. "I would think by the time we get to the end of 2021 — maybe even the middle of 2021."

He added that if the U.S. gets a "knock-out vaccine that's 85 [to] 90% effective," and "just about everybody gets vaccinated," society will have "a degree of immunity" that allows the general public to "walk into a theater without masks and feel like it's comfortable" that they will not be at risk of catching COVID-19.

Fauci also clarified some theories about catching COVID-19 based on earlier studies, saying people don't need to worry too much about contracting the virus through inanimate objects such as groceries and packages, and people do not need to wear masks outside when they are very far away from others.

Movie theaters, Broadway and other in-person entertainment venues have taken a significant hit to business as a result of coronavirus lockdown restrictions that have just begun to ease across the country.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said drugmakers involved in coronavirus vaccine trials should be ready to start distributing vaccines by Nov. 1.

Three vaccines set for distribution in the U.S. from Moderna, Pfizer/BioNTech and AstraZeneca are currently in the final stages of clinical trials, and President Trump suggested on Sept. 3 that a vaccine could be available as soon as October.
    For all of our sakes, I hope that he's got this one wrong.
Working...
X