‘Wonder Woman 1984’ Release Date Pushed to Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ Release Date Pushed to Christmas

A question for the smaller mom & pop cinemas that re-opened for Tenet: WW84 was going to be the next big title to hopefully help us stay open. What are your backup plans, if any?

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/w...as-1234766774/

Warner Bros. has postponed the release of “Wonder Woman 1984,” the latest development in Hollywood’s rocky plans to return to the movies.

The superhero sequel starring Gal Gadot, which was expected to debut on Oct. 2, will now touch down in theaters on Dec. 25, 2020.

“Patty is an exceptional filmmaker and with ‘Wonder Woman 1984’ she has delivered an incredibly dynamic film that moviegoers of all ages around the world will absolutely love,” said Toby Emmerich, Warmer Bros. Motion Picture Group chairman. “We’re very proud of the film and look forward to bringing it to audiences for the holidays.”

Director Patty Jenkins added, “First and foremost let me say how much Gal and I love all our devoted Wonder Woman fans around the world, and your excitement for ‘WW84’ couldn’t make us happier or more eager for you to see the movie. Because I know how important it is to bring this movie to you on a big screen when all of us can share the experience together, I’m hopeful you won’t mind waiting just a little bit longer. With the new date on Christmas Day, we can’t wait to spend the holidays with you!”

Warner Bros. recently took a risk in releasing “Tenet” on the big screen, marking the first major blockbuster to debut since movie theaters closed in March due to the pandemic. The $200 million-budgeted film, from director Christopher Nolan, launched over Labor Day weekend in the U.S. to a muted $20 million. Sources say the studio was waiting to assess domestic ticket sales for “Tenet” before making a decision about moving “Wonder Woman.”

With the delay of “Wonder Woman 1984,” “Tenet” won’t face much competition among ticket buyers and could see a boost in sales in the coming weeks. For now, Disney and Marvel’s comic book adventure “Black Widow” on Nov. 6 is the next major film on calendars. In the meantime, smaller movies like Sony’s romantic comedy “The Broken Hearts Gallery” plan to open this weekend.

Denis Villeneuve’s sci-fi epic “Dune,” also from Warner Bros., is still slated to open on Dec. 18, a week prior to “Wonder Woman 1984.” But there’s a good chance that film — starring Timothee Chalamet, Oscar Isaac and Zendaya — will be pushed into 2021 to avoid clashing for attention from audiences. When the first “Dune” trailer dropped earlier this week, it conspicuously lacked a release date.

Nearly 70% of movie theaters in the U.S. have reopened, but important markets like New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco remain closed. Box office analysts suggest that it’s unwise to release big-budgeted movies until those areas can welcome patrons. The first “Wonder Woman,” in 2017, collected over $400 million in North America alone — and the sequel would struggle to even come close to that figure without some of the country’s biggest markets in play.

Warner Bros. has found massive success over the holidays with its DC properties. “Aquaman,” which released in 2018, generated over $1 billion after hitting theaters around Christmastime. The hope, barring a second wave of coronavirus, is that theaters in New York and Los Angeles will be able to open by then.

“Wonder Woman 1984” has been delayed numerous times amid the pandemic. It was originally scheduled for June 5 before moving to Aug. 14 and then Oct. 2.

It’s not entirely surprising that the sequel “Wonder Woman” was postponed again. Four weeks ahead of its October release date, and the studio had hardly done any promotion. “Wonder Woman” is a hugely important franchise for Warner Bros., and the company couldn’t risk mediocre box office receipts. The movie cost roughly $180 million to produce, not counting pricey global marketing fees.

Backup plan? We don't need no stinkin' backup plan!

Frankly, I don't have a Plan A either, unless hoping to find a few movies that people might want to come and see counts as a plan and that hasn't worked out particularly well so far either. As I've posted here before, my current attendance is about 10% of what it was prior to the zombie apocalypse and I'm starting to think that it's not going to improve significantly until this situation is resolved, if it ever is, and by then who knows what will be left of the industry. These days, if I get five or six people at a show I think I've got a crowd.

I don't have any employee or wage costs, so that's a plus for me right now; how long can you guys who have to pay several people several dollars per hour be able to keep doing it?

My theory at the moment is that anything is more than nothing, so if I keep the theatre open and keep playing movies for the few people who show up, those few people are more than nobody at all. And there's always hope that I'll find the magic movie that everyone wants to see. That's one thing about a theatre -- next week could always be better than this week.

Sigh... I really fear for the future of this industry. The word of the year seems to be unprecedented and that sums it up rather well.

Comment

I have heard some WB 70mm film prints have been made for Wonder Woman 1984? They have a trailer in 70mm on the Tenet release print out now.

Comment

We are in the same situation Frank is. It's compounded by the fact that Tenet is not what you would call a "small town" kind of movie. (We didn't do all that well with "Inception" either.) The one new movie that everyone has been asking about is the new Top Gun. We need more of a general-audience crowd-pleaser to really see what it's going to be like.

I'm a little fearful too, combined with a big helping of depressed. It takes all the fun out of it when there's nobody here. It's Saturday night and we've got four people here. We did sell a bunch of popcorn to the walk-in crowd though, so that helps. A little.

Comment

Tied with you.

I got four for The New Mutants tonight. Didn't sell any popcorn to go, though.

Comment

While TENET is doing slightly better than the repertory flicks we showed this summer, it's still not really bringing any excitement into our small town screen either. With most of Michigan's theaters still closed down, our hope that we'd draw in viewers from the south of us hasn't panned out (we're 5 miles north of the line in our state between legally open and closed cinemas.) I guess we try New Mutants, Unhinged, and Bill & Ted 3 until something bigger comes along.

Comment

Emphasis added by me:

Nearly 70% of movie theaters in the U.S. have reopened, but important markets like New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco remain closed. Box office analysts suggest that it’s unwise to release big-budgeted movies until those areas can welcome patrons. The first “Wonder Woman,” in 2017, collected over $400 million in North America alone — and the sequel would struggle to even come close to that figure without some of the country’s biggest markets in play.
              So, it's not bad enough that the studios have been succeeding in killing off theatres with their stupid games with release to video windows, now even the so-called "anal-lists" (yes I mean it the way it's spelled here) have their heads so far up their asses to realize that in the case of box office grosses, SOMETHING IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN NOTHING. Since distribution is now on DCP's and therefore a mere fraction of the costs of film prints, there is NO valid excuse to NOT release ALL films wide right out of the gate!!

Edited to add: The ONLY way to help exhibition recover is to get butts in the seats, and no matter what size the auditorium or market area, people will only start going to movies again when there is fresh product on the screen and for the smaller markets to help prove that infection control protocols actually DO WORK.

And this bit frankly shows the attitude of "fuck the small guys" in clear language:
              ......important markets like New York, Los Angeles and San Francisco......until those areas can welcome patrons..........struggle to even come close to that figure without some of the country’s biggest markets in play.
              The pandemic isn't going to be the cause of the collapse of exhibition, it is the incredibly insane and stupid decision making processes of the STUDIOS and their overpaid office boys that will finally kill exhibition for good.

Comment

We were lucky enough to get 32 for our 6:15 show of Tenet last night. I think the fact that it's been raining for days helped us out, people were itching for something to do.

Today will be dead - the Packers are playing and it's nice out. We probably should've closed lol.

Comment

We're not independent but things are bad here too. I don't think we've cracked 25 for any one show since we've reopened. Most shows are single digits or zero. We had 13 people total on Wednesday across 23 shows. We've had better attendance in real serious blizzards than that. Each of the last Fridays has been worse then the previous, as well. Crazy to see it. Schedule and payroll hours are getting cut down, overnight janitorial service is getting cut completely...

Comment

We are showing Tenet.
                    Our WB rep connected me saying her bosses wanted to know if we where legally allowed to show their movie. We are in a state that has ordered movie theaters to close (six months and counting).
                    I sent WB links to the Governor's orders showing that small indoor gathering and event of 10 people or less are allowed. I showed them our numbers and photos of the auditorium that was taken during the showing to show that we do not have more than 10 people. After I showed that we where allowed to have gatherings of 10 or less, we got the, go-ahead.
                    Now I am wondering if I did myself any favors. While most of our showings have been sell-outs it has been a struggle to get 10 people to come see the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Wilson View Post
                      I don't think we've cracked 25 for any one show since we've reopened. Most shows are single digits or zero. We had 13 people total on Wednesday across 23 shows.
                      I don't remember if you saw our little 20 seat theatre when you were down here, but we've been renting that out for private shows ($100 for new movies, $50 for the rerelease stuff), I had a friend from St. Joe looking to come down here to do that, but I might just let him know ya'll are getting as few people as we are

Comment

Working...
                      X