Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the latest theatre to close or open you have heard about?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marcel, right now everything is up in the air. Our whole business model is up for consideration. As is that of all the distributors. I see plenty of changes in our future.

[edited to add] My assistant tells me the radio station she listens to is still playing "Come See the Big D" ads for the local New Vision. I guess they did a bulk buy and never cancelled.
    Last edited by Martin McCaffery; 07-24-2020, 03:39 PM. Reason: This Just In:

Comment

I totally agree with you and I think it helps to look at what's coming, not only with the fear we're probably all feeling, but also with a bit of open-minded spirit for new opportunities. The coming months will probably be a watershed moment for the entire industry, as discussed in several other topics already. I hope you find a way to somehow continue what you're doing and at least keep the place around as a place that actually shows movies.

Regarding those ads: Big players often buy packages for months in advance, as you often get huge discounts that way. They usually regularly refresh their ads, but when the TV or radio station don't receive any new material, they'll just continue playing the old ones, until they get the message from an authorized figure to stop it. The situation with all kinds of billboards is about the same. There are plenty of billboards around here, still advertising some long-canceled events, yet nobody has invested the money to remove them.

Comment

In New York City, the Landmark 57th West will not reopen (at least not under Landmark) after only three years in operation, which is possibly 2 1/2 years too long. If Manhattan ever had a cinema built with a curse on it, it was this place. Way at the end of 57th Street at 11th Avenue, the theatre had no easily accessed public transportation nearby, was foolishly expensive and had the most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in, ones that forced you to recline whether you wanted to or not. The projection and sound were nothing special. This place was right across the street from my former office and I was very excited to see it built, but after a few bad experiences, including one roaring backache, I hardly went. Apparently the closing is over a rent dispute, but from what I could see it never did much business.

Comment

o
          Originally posted by Mark Ogden View Post
          In New York City, the Landmark 57th West will not reopen (at least not under Landmark) after only three years in operation, which is possibly 2 1/2 years too long. If Manhattan ever had a cinema built with a curse on it, it was this place. Way at the end of 57th Street at 11th Avenue, the theatre had no easily accessed public transportation nearby, was foolishly expensive and had the most uncomfortable seats I have ever sat in, ones that forced you to recline whether you wanted to or not. The projection and sound were nothing special. This place was right across the street from my former office and I was very excited to see it built, but after a few bad experiences, including one roaring backache, I hardly went. Apparently the closing is over a rent dispute, but from what I could see it never did much business.
          I never saw a film there, but I was shocked at how small the theaters were and because they had so few seats, I couldn't imagine how they could ever made any money. Seat counts were 19, 22, 25, 34, 48, 75, 164 and 171. The old Sunshine on Houston St. had 600 seats over 5 screens with half those seats on one screen.

Comment

Coming soon after a long delay Regal Theatres will be back in San Francisco CA to re place It's tired old UA Stonestown Twin next door The new Regal Stonestown 12 will be the first new cinema built in San Francisco in many years. This will be SF's first Screen X auditorium along with the large curved RPX screen.

With plenty of outdoor free parking this brand new cinema is away from downtown SF and built on the former Macy's at Stonestown Mall near the Sunset/Parkside ocean part of SF.

We welcome the new Regal movie experience with some competition for Cinemark/Century and AMC Theatres.
            You do not have permission to view this gallery.
            This gallery has 5 photos.

Comment

Closed permanently during the pandemic:
              Franklin Square Cinemas - Franklin Square, NY
              Squire Cinemas - Great Neck, NY
              Island Cinemas - Mastic, NY
              Showroom Cinemas - Asbury park, NJ
              Showroom Cinemas - Bradley Beach, NJ
              Bow Tie Cinemas - Mt Kisko, NY
              Bow Tie Cinemas - Tenafly, NJ
              Westwood Cinemas - Westwood, NJ
              Ramsey Cinema - Ramsey, NJ
              Bow Tie Caldwell Cinemas - Caldwell, NJ
              Bow Tie Claridge Cinema 6 - Claridge, NJ
              Empire Columbia Park 12 - North Bergen, NJ
              Vellagio Cinemas - Tampa, FL
              Tower Cinemas - Cleveland, OH

Comment

As noted below, New Visions is out of business and in liquidation. So the New Visions Chantilly (formerly Carmike) in Montgomery, AL and the Prattville, AL Promenade (formerly O'Neills then Carmike) are both closed and out of business until AMC decides what to do with them.
                Seems like nothing cuts through anti-trust law like a good pandemic: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/amc-moves-to-take-over-theaters-impacted-by-covid-19-crisis

Comment

Tagging onto Scott's post. Not only has it opened, It just got a visit from the Governor of Maryland and presented the official Governor's citation:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...06120006099404

Warehouse Cinemas - September 24, 2020
                  Today I presented an official governor’s citation to the team at Warehouse Cinemas in Frederick, which recently opened its doors with thorough health and safety protocols to keep moviegoers safe. The state-of-the-art theater will be a cornerstone of the revitalization of Frederick’s Golden Mile.
                  Not bad, considering the Governor had kept theatre's closed until essentially Tenet opened.

Comment

Steve...

I like the black interior in that room... Nothing to distract you from the screen. I had a customer do the same exact ting back in 2010.

Comment

An unintended consequence to the very dark interior (and it really doesn't feel to cave like...the wainscot is a bit brighter and the floors are more grey) is that the IR light from the ADA emitter has to be carefully aimed to get good coverage. 8 out of 10 screens have a booth that overhangs the last row so the light that reaches them has to travel the length of the theatre, reflect off the screen and then go the length back and sneak under the lip of the booth but over the recliners in front of that row.

But yes, the idea was to make it feel more like you are outside looking up at the screen, which they call "Skyvue" as the screens lean down at the audience (which presented some additional challenges).

Comment

Closed Is Cinema Cafe in Stoughton, WI. I equipped this theater about 30 years ago. They cited lack of product for the foreseeable future more than the covid. Dennis made the best darn pizza I ever had. They started out in the old Single Screen in Stoughton and then we built out this old store building into a 4 screen Cinema Cafe. They pretty much had their own area as far as first run goes, being 20 miles south of Madison.

Stoughton Cinema Cafe to close permanently after 30 years

Posted: May 3, 2020 7:45 AM
                        Updated: May 5, 2020 6:51 PM

by Logan Rude

STOUGHTON, Wis. — Owners of the Stoughton Cinema Cafe announced Saturday night that the 30-year-old theater is closing permanently because of the coronavirus pandemic.

In a Facebook post shared Saturday, owners Pattie and Denny Lange said “the unexpected shutdown and delay in film releases is not something we will be able to recover from.”

“We’ve thought long and hard, and while we’d have loved to continue serving the community, the unexpected shutdown and delay in film releases is not something we will be able to recover from,” the post said.

Stoughton Cinema Cafe has been in operation for more than 30 years. When it first opened, it was a single-screen, dine-in theater in the building that now houses the Stoughton Village Players Theater.

Video Here>>> https://www.channel3000.com/stoughto...5IfBYYGgNIyeu0

Comment

Seattle’s Ark Lodge Cinemas launches GoFundMe campaign, hoping to tap into support shown for other local indie theaters

When you see a wonderful movie in a place that has meaning for you — a neighborhood moviehouse, perhaps, that’s been there a long time — the movie and the theater seem to meld together; you remember not just what you saw, but where you saw it. I recently wrote a piece about the movie “A Room with a View,” and woven into my memories of the film was the theater in which I first saw it: the Seven Gables in the University District, now likely closed forever; a building haunted by happy ghosts of movies past.

We’ve been lucky, until the coronavirus pandemic forced movie theaters to close last spring, to have a few such places throughout the area. And for those of us who love seeing movies on enormous screens, it’s easy to think of these theaters not as businesses but as places that will always be there, fueled by dreams. But to run a neighborhood moviehouse, you need not just dreams, but money.

This is the story of three neighborhood cinemas in our own backyards; two of which have seen a remarkable financial demonstration of patron loyalty and moviehouse love, and the third of which hopes to do so.
                          The Seattle Times article is available at::

https://www.seattletimes.com/enterta...ters/#comments

100825-1020x703.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Monohan View Post
                            Coming soon after a long delay Regal Theatres will be back in San Francisco CA to re place It's tired old UA Stonestown Twin next door The new Regal Stonestown 12 will be the first new cinema built in San Francisco in many years. This will be SF's first Screen X auditorium along with the large curved RPX screen.

With plenty of outdoor free parking this brand new cinema is away from downtown SF and built on the former Macy's at Stonestown Mall near the Sunset/Parkside ocean part of SF.

We welcome the new Regal movie experience with some competition for Cinemark/Century and AMC Theatres.
                            That's ironic in the face of Regal's recent announcement. :-(

Comment

William****I don't think our brand new Regal Stonestown 12 in SF will open this year with the release this week about Regal not opening. They rushed to get this new cinema open now It will just sit and gather dust.

Comment

Working...
                              X