No announcement yet.

Marquee text planning software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At the live theatre I was tech director at in the 80s and 90s we had two different marquees; a two sided one at the street and a single on the wall of the building itself (the theatre was at the back of a shopping center). my method of changing letters was like Mike's; starting from the center and working out. I also had to figure what letters to re-use since our stock was limited. The building marquee used clear letters on a back background so I had to figure the black spacers (also three metrics) in as well. I sometimes had to change letters every night since we hosted lots of events. Kahilu Theatre in Kamuela, Hawaii if you want to check the Warehouse under Singles.

Comment

The small cinema I regularly visit when I'm in Ireland has the marquee up high on their side wall. The ground below is a soft ramp declining towards the street. Every time I see their usher up there changing letters I hold my breath. I told him wether they shouldn't cut down one side of the double-ladder to keep it straight. He answered, they were not allowed to cut anything off that ladder for safety reasons.

Comment

Since it's a regular thing for them to put a ladder there, they should have some clamps on the wall to hold the ladder in place at the top when it's in use.

Comment

Well, I guess it's easier to get a new usher than to buy and mount a clamp ;-)

Comment

No, you shouldn't cut a ladder for any reason. If the rungs and rails aren't square and parallel the ladder will rack and weaken.

If a ladder must be used on an uneven surface, ladder jacks can be used to lengthen one side but these are special equipment, often built-in to the ladder, itself. It might be possible to place blocks under two of the ladder's legs but that's a special case. It's probably better to just chain the ladder to a sturdy part of a building to keep it in place.

Working on the stage, I often had to use a tall, A-frame ladder with an extension to hang lights or scenery pieces. We also had an electric lift but there were times when it was just to unwieldy to use. It's often easier and better just to wheel out a ladder on a caster base, climb up, do your deed then climb down and put the ladder away. It would take twice as long to get the lift, set it up then put it away when you are finished.

In the place where I work, every employee has to take a ladder training course complete with videos, handouts and a quiz at the end as part of the hiring process. It's all pretty hokey because 90% of the people who work there do sit-down assembly jobs. A maintenance man might use a ladder once a month.

The plain truth is, in the world of real work where people have to climb on scaffolds and catwalks, crawl through ceiling spaces or crouch under ductwork it would be virtually impossible to obey all the safety rules they preach in those safety videos. Nothing would ever get done.

Sometimes you just have to do what's necessary to get the job done, even if you have to put your ladder on a slope. There is no safety net that can save a person in every situation. Even if you are working in ideal, textbook conditions workers still need to apply their intelligence and common sense. If they aren't comfortable doing the work they should "Nope Out."

Comment

I'm a big believer in staying on the ground. I've always been afraid of heights and as I get older I get more so.

A few years ago I had the side lights in the auditorium moved to a point lower on the wall so I can climb a ladder to change the bulbs. Before that they were on the ceiling and there was no way that I could or would ever climb that high and it always seemed silly to me to have to hire someone to come and change a light bulb for me. Now they're at a height where I still need a ladder to reach them, but it's not such a ridiculous height that I can't do it at all. (Though I still don't like climbing up there. Thankfully, those light bulbs seem to last a really long time.)

In the town where I used to live before I moved here, I vaguely remember them having to hire someone with a helicopter to change the lights on the top of the water tower once. I don't imagine that was a cheap job.

Comment

"Ah! Terra Firma!... And, the firma' the betta'!"

I'm okay working at heights as long as I'm on a stable surface that doesn't move around. I can climb a ladder, stand on a roof and look over the edge with no problem but if that ladder starts shaking, I nope out in a heartbeat.

Around here, people hire Apache Indians to do high work on towers and things.
                There is a cultural stereotype among Apache who believe that working at great heights shows that they are brave and manly. As legend goes, if you want to hire the best steelworkers to put up a tall building, Apache are the best. I don't know if that's all true or if it's just a stereotype but I did know a guy who claimed to be part Apache who would climb up a tree and hold on with one hand while using a chainsaw to cut off limbs with his other hand. That guy was crazy!

Comment

Hey, this is actually a useful case for vertical video, even though YouTube still sucks in presenting it properly.

Comment

Well, at least the guy used a ladder!

That guy I was talking about didn't bother with ladders. I witnessed him climb up a pine tree that was taller than a house, barehanded. He pulled his chainsaw up with a rope, started it then proceed to cut off a few limbs limbs and top the tree. He shinneyed back down and felled the tree... smoking a cigarette the whole time.

I wish I could have gotten video of it. It could have been part of one of those "People Who Work at Another Level" compliations.

Comment

While on the safety rails: a local manufacturing plant has this to say.

There are two inspectors here and one requires all ladders to be of wood construction. The other inspector requires all ladders to be of fiber glass construction.

The office girl calls out to the plant to tell everyone which ladders to use or to put in the closet so the place can pass inspection. They have dual ladder inventories.

Comment

Ladders have so many safety warning stickers on them that, if you wanted to put any more stickers on them, you'd have to make the ladder taller but, if you made the ladder taller, you'd have to put more warning stickers on them.

Safety warning stickers on ladders have achieved critical mass!

Comment

Working...
                        X