Food Service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gavra Meads View Post
    I suggest opening a dessert restaurant with exclusive positions on the menu:
    1. strawberry poke cake
    2. pumpink pie
    3. red velvet cheesecake bites
    4. Oreo brownies
    5. Keto chocolate cake

The more I think about this idea, the more I like it. We don't have a lot of room, no tables but we do a lot of to-go orders with beverages and popcorn. I would like to add to that.
    In Michigan, we have a "Home Cottage Food" law. We can made food in our home kitchen to sell to the public without the health department getting involved. There are few hoops to jump through such as proper labeling but I could make these thing in my home kitchen and sell it at theater. The startup cost would be very small.

We used this law to sell popcorn when the health department shut us down during the pandemic. We legally did not enforce the mask rule and we legally kept the concession stand open for to-go orders. This did not please the health department so they shut us down claiming they did not like the location of the 1980's water well. The well was fine for about 40 years but in order to shut me down, they required us to relocate it... so during that time, I made popcorn in my home and brought it to the theater to sell. This made the health department mad but they could not show me where I was doing anything illegal. The health department would not allow popcorn to be made at the theater until we resolved the water well issue, but I could make it in my home where the health department could not see what I was doing. I learned a lot about Michigan's Home Cottage Food Law during the pandemic and I think it would work for the desserts. I am not a baker, but I can follow directions.
    This line of product might sell to those coming to see the movie and might be a good to-go line of products.

Thank you

Comment

Working...
    X