No announcement yet.

No more 9:00 shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just looked a Birmingham's schedules. Most are doing weekend shows as late as 10:00pm, but 8:00 as late as it gets on weekdays.
    Birmingham is a much larger city than Montgomery. Mobile and Huntsville are also scheduled similar to Birmingham. I guess Montgomery is just old and boring as a movie town.

Comment

Not the case in NYC, in spite of the pandemic raging here (although declining from its peak). At the AMC Lincoln Square, there are numerous Thursday night shows starting from 9:15 through 10pm and at the AMC Empire 25 from 9:15 to 10:30pm. On Friday and Saturday night, there are also some 11pm shows.

Comment

I used to always go to midnight shows; sadly now I have to go earlier, but I'm not happy about it.

When the last show starts at 7 PM, that's just too early for me and I'll wait for it to be released on home video.

I'm used to midnight shows; and I remember the fun of going to a 3 AM IMAX showing of Avengers: Endgame and getting out at 6:30 AM.

Comment

I'm definitely bouncing around exactly what our schedule should be when we reopen the 4 screen in a small-ish town (about 25,000 in the city limits, and 45,000 within 7 or 8 miles). I'm pretty much certain we will be either Thurs-Sun or Fri-Sun only outside of school holidays, where we will operate all week. I'm guessing Sundays we probably will only have our 1 and 4 shows, Friday just our 4 and 7s, and Saturday 1/4/7. As needed, we can add showtimes and eventually days.

Comment

I'm pretty much certain we will be either Thurs-Sun or Fri-Sun only outside of school holidays, where we will operate all week. I'm guessing Sundays we probably will only have our 1 and 4 shows,
            In a town of 25,000, you may leave A LOT of money on the table with that schedule. If I were you I would start with more days, more shows and whittle it down as necessary after a few months. Doing it the other way, you may never have a need to add shows or days.

We're in a town of only 1,700 (about 6,000 in our drawing area), and we are open every night except Thursdays when we are changing shows. (If we are running something for two or three weeks, we will go straight through without closing.) Thursday, Friday and Saturday is when virtually everything ELSE is also going on -- ball games, school events, concerts, big-ass parties, you name it... and a lot of those events will tie up whole families. Why be closed all the nights when people have nothing to do? I can tell you that here, most weekends Sunday is busier than Friday and sometimes it even beats Saturday. We have many regulars who ONLY come on weeknights, because that's the only time they haven't got anything else going on. Yes, some nights we only have two or four or six people...but sometimes we have 60. That's show biz. The important thing is we're HERE for them and they know we are going to be here when they leave their house.

The movie business is about "habit" as much as anything. People get into the habit of going to the show....and if you're closed too often when they have the notion to go to the movies, pretty soon they will stop having the notion. Naturally, people will get used to whatever schedule you offer, but there are going to be a lot of folks who will tell you, "I wanted to come and see that show but I just had too much going on." We even get that with our schedule, occasionally.

And only being open three or four nights a week will cut you out of being able to open some movies on the break, too -- the studios definitely favor full-week schedules. With the video window now being anywhere from six weeks down to 17 days, you need to get movies as fast as you can.

Of course your mileage may vary but this is 43 years of experience talking here.

Comment

I just realized that our nearby AMC has their latest shows at 6:30pm! Even on the weekend. I wanted to check out the latest Johnny Knoxville flick, and the last show they had for the day was at 6pm on a Saturday night. Not even a 7:15 show. They had a 1/3:30/6 schedule. I think that's leaving money on the table.

Our theater's latest shows have been consistently at 7:30pm. We've tried some later hours, but since we're a community theater it's hard to get volunteers to come in late. I think 9-9:30pm shows would work great in the summer (it doesn't get dark until well after 9 from June-August where I live) but it's too hard to staff.

EVERYONE is short-staffed right now, so I'll chalk it up to that. Maybe by summer things will be closer to normal?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Blakesley View Post

In a town of 25,000, you may leave A LOT of money on the table with that schedule. If I were you I would start with more days, more shows and whittle it down as necessary after a few months. Doing it the other way, you may never have a need to add shows or days.

We're in a town of only 1,700 (about 6,000 in our drawing area), and we are open every night except Thursdays when we are changing shows. (If we are running something for two or three weeks, we will go straight through without closing.) Thursday, Friday and Saturday is when virtually everything ELSE is also going on -- ball games, school events, concerts, big-ass parties, you name it... and a lot of those events will tie up whole families. Why be closed all the nights when people have nothing to do? I can tell you that here, most weekends Sunday is busier than Friday and sometimes it even beats Saturday. We have many regulars who ONLY come on weeknights, because that's the only time they haven't got anything else going on. Yes, some nights we only have two or four or six people...but sometimes we have 60. That's show biz. The important thing is we're HERE for them and they know we are going to be here when they leave their house.

The movie business is about "habit" as much as anything. People get into the habit of going to the show....and if you're closed too often when they have the notion to go to the movies, pretty soon they will stop having the notion. Naturally, people will get used to whatever schedule you offer, but there are going to be a lot of folks who will tell you, "I wanted to come and see that show but I just had too much going on." We even get that with our schedule, occasionally.

And only being open three or four nights a week will cut you out of being able to open some movies on the break, too -- the studios definitely favor full-week schedules. With the video window now being anywhere from six weeks down to 17 days, you need to get movies as fast as you can.

Of course your mileage may vary but this is 43 years of experience talking here.

The only reason we were ever open Monday-Wednesday since I opened in 2013 was for our staff to get full time hours. We at best broke even Monday-Wednesday when accounting for just film rental, labor, and utilities (it’s Houston, we have to run the AC 11 months of the year!) unless we had an absolute banger like an Avengers flick.

No studio has ever cared what our schedule was beyond Friday-Sunday.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Thuemmel View Post
                  I just realized that our nearby AMC has their latest shows at 6:30pm! Even on the weekend. I wanted to check out the latest Johnny Knoxville flick, and the last show they had for the day was at 6pm on a Saturday night. Not even a 7:15 show. They had a 1/3:30/6 schedule. I think that's leaving money on the table.
                  My bet is that AMC won't be around much longer.

Comment

You mean that extra buck isn't going to save them?

Comment

Working...
                    X