Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought a new, unlocked 5G phone, Getting it on the 5G band has been living hell!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just bought a new, unlocked 5G phone, Getting it on the 5G band has been living hell!

So my Moto G play finally gave up, well, the screen actually fell out and ripped the ribbon cable. Since an almost 4 year old phone is not worth the price of a nearly $100 screen, I bought a new Moto Ace 5G during black Friday sales for just a little more than half price. I have had Cricket service for many years... It just worked everywhere I had to travel to out west and it was $35 a month. I had no problems with them until now.. So I get the new phone and head to the nearby Cricket store to have a new next generation SIM installed... 5G phones require a different SIM. The guy at Cricket said I was already set and 5G should be working ok now. I had put my old SIM in the new phone. Anyway, 5G was not working, but he didn't seem to care or know about the different SIM card. Anyway, after trying to get a real support person to talk to when I called Cricket I only got automated crap. So I went down to AT&T and changed over to them... Took all of 15 min. The service is twice as expensive as cricket for almost the same package, the AT&T package included 10 Gigs hot spot data which I have used before on my old phone at Drive Ins., but at that point I was so frustrated with Cricket that I was glad to switch. So the phone works great and I have 5G at home now. The tower is actually less than a mile down the street at McKay's books. It seems to me that these cell companies are not training their people at all and that those people really don't care. Just was curious if anyone has had similar experiences? The phone is great now and the 5G sped things up so much that when you click on a link or You Tube video it's up and playing literally as fast as you can click. I did a Speed Test check and the needle on the meter gets pegged. I have to say that I am really impressed!! Oh and this phone has the two day battery. Something I will never buy another phone without.....

I upgraded to a 5G capable Samsung phone just a few months ago, but I'm not really seeing too much performance difference for average phone usage between 4G and 5G. When the coverage is good, they both pull about 200 to 250 MBit/s on the Vodafone network, which is more than sufficient for mobile phone usage. I didn't need to swap my SIM card, which is a SIM-only subscription, so it's not tied to a mobile phone in anyway.

In the Netherlands, 4G/5G coverage in general, is pretty decent, but it's a small and pretty flat country with a dense population. I even had some 5G coverage in a few tunnels, which usually would only support 3G. Unfortunately, in Germany, there still are plenty of white spots in more rural areas, where you go from 4G to a completely overloaded 2G service, which really doesn't work anymore for modern on-line services...

Comment

Sometime before the end of next March I'll have to upgrade to a new phone. I have an old Samsung Note 5 that has worked just fine all these years (its battery life is starting to wane noticeably though). The T-Mobile buyout of Sprint is leading to some major changes in the combined network, which will make older phones useless after March 31.

I'll probably get another Samsung phone. Even though I own an iPad I'm not an iPhone person at all. There are certain features about Android phones I prefer, such as being able to attach the phone to a PC and move files in/out of any folder on the phone using Windows File Explorer.

Regarding 5G, I'm not sure I'll see a great deal of benefit from it in my region of Oklahoma. Generally it seems like you have to be pretty close to a 5G tower or 5G small cell site to get 5G quality speeds.

Some frequency bands work better than others. I've heard a little about mmWave technology; all the major carriers appear to be deploying it. There are lots of pros and cons about each frequency band. New phones can be pretty damned expensive. So I have to be careful to buy one that's going to work right on a given carrier's network.

Comment

I was told by a friend that 5G will speed up, at least in this country, a lot in 2 to 3 years. Apparently the cell sites are good for 20 gigs throughput . But none of the unfrastructure is. Went out for dinner tonight, driving about 20 miles total. 5G never dropped out. And as hilly as it is around here that's almost a miracle.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Henderson View Post
          ... There are certain features about Android phones I prefer, such as being able to attach the phone to a PC and move files in/out of any folder on the phone using Windows File Explorer. ...
          Have you tried File Explorer for iOS?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fe-fil...er/id510282524

I use it on my iPad to move stuff around. I keep a 1 TB hard drive attached to my WiFi box as NAS. I have it aliased on my computer and bookmarked through FE on the iPad. I just dump stuff to the hard drive, in either direction, then pick it up from there when I go to the other device. I keep MAC blocking turned on at the WiFi and I don't broadcast the SSID. It's a little bit less convenient that way but, unless you are a determined hacker, 95% of people won't even know it's there.

There is also a version of File Explorer for Apple TVOS. With that I can rip movies from from a DVD/Blu-Ray or even create my own movies then dump them on the network drive to watch on my TV, at leisure, using VLC, which also comes in a version for TVOS.

The only time I connect my iPad to a computer/network via wire is when I do manual backups and store them on my computer's hard drive.

I don't like to depend on iCloud, et. al., to manage my backups.

Remember: The term "cloud" is just a code word that means, "Somebody else's computer!"

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Stankey
            Have you tried File Explorer for iOS?
            I haven't tried that app. One nice thing is the iPadOS can now read NTFS formatted external hard drives attached to an iPad via a USB port dongle. Apps that I have on the iPad can read the hard drive, they just can't see many folders on the iPad itself.

My old Android phone doesn't need any third party apps to be visible to Windows File Explorer (or the Finder on a Mac) when attached to a PC via a USB cable. When the phone is unlocked it shows up as a connected device, but works just like an external hard drive. Windows File Explorer can access any of the folders within the phone, move files out of them or write files into them. Very direct. Very easy. No third party apps or any cloud stuff is required.

In order for me to move files between my iPad and notebook or desktop PC I have to use either "the cloud" (iCloud, Dropbox, Adobe Creative Cloud) or I can use an external hard disc or memory stick as a go-between. I just can't hard-wire connect the iPad to a PC. Adobe tries to make it fairly simple to "beam" an open project from one device to the other with a button click. But that's not quite the same as selecting multiple files or folders.

Comment

I never attach my (Samsung) phone to my computer with a cable.

I usually use Total Commander or Ghost Commander on the phone to transfer one or two files using sftp, or I'll crank up sshd on Termux and just log into it from my computer. If I have a bunch of stuff to synchronize between my phone and my computer I'll use rsync.

Sometimes I'll use either or both of Remote Keyboard https://f-droid.org/en/packages/de.o...emotekeyboard/ and Screenstream https://f-droid.org/en/packages/info.dvkr.screenstream/ so I can view and type on my phone or from my computer, since that's much faster and more convenient than doing it directly on the phone.

Comment

The "Files" app that should be installed on every iPad, by default, is capable of reading or writing to remote volumes, via network.

I have used Files but you need to type the exact address of the server/volume that you want to access. File Explorer allows you to do it by selecting from a list of items.

I have accessed my iPad's file system and messed around moving files in and out but, to be honest, I prefer FE.
                There are a lot of files that I either don't need to access or that I don't care about. Weeding through all of that is more than I care to do, even if I know what files/folders I'm looking for. I'd rather have all of that managed for me. Call me lazy.

What do I really need to access or move? Document files from the apps I use? Pictures? Sounds? Movies? Spreadsheet or word processor docs?
                Okay, if you're trying to handle files from Adobe projects, that makes things more complicated and, maybe, it's easier to just access the files directly.

For the things I do, FE or the Files app suits me just fine.

90% of the time, I just shuttle movies and pics back and forth.
                I'll take a picture with the Photo app, zap it to the NAS, pick it up from my computer, Photoshop it then zap it back to my iPad, view it on my AppleTV or use in on the Internet.
                I do the same thing with videos. I shoot them with the iPad, send them to my computer, make them into a movie using FinalCut Pro then send them to NAS so that I can see them on TV. If I want to share them, I'll use YouTube or some such thing.

No, I rarely connect to my iPad using the data/charging cable. I only do that, every so often, to make a manual backup of my iPad.
                I have an iCloud account but, as I said, I don't like to depend on that. Encrypted or not, I prefer to have a copy on my iPad that stays in my possession where nobody can get at it unless I say so.

Sure... That's the same as keeping all your money hidden under your mattress instead of putting it in a bank but anybody who tries to take my money is going to have to get past the shotgun that I also keep hidden under the bed.

Comment

As one who was recently hacked into I now have an Untangle Z4 firewall appliance and software that runs between the internet line coming in and the input to the router. It works great and it logs all sorts of events. It's also relatively inexpensive to buy.

https://www.untangle.com/untangle-ng...ll/appliances/

Comment

Sometime before the end of next March I'll have to upgrade to a new phone. I have an old Samsung Note 5 that has worked just fine all these years (its battery life is starting to wane noticeably though). The T-Mobile buyout of Sprint is leading to some major changes in the combined network, which will make older phones useless after March 31.

I'll probably get another Samsung phone. Even though I own an iPad I'm not an iPhone person at all. There are certain features about Android phones I prefer, such as being able to attach the phone to a PC and move files in/out of any folder on the phone using Windows File Explorer.

Regarding 5G, I'm not sure I'll see a great deal of benefit from it in my region of Oklahoma. Generally it seems like you have to be pretty close to a 5G tower or 5G small cell site to get 5G quality speeds.

Some frequency bands work better than others. I've heard a little about mmWave technology; all the major carriers appear to be deploying it. There are lots of pros and cons about each frequency band. New phones can be pretty damned expensive. So I have to be careful to buy one that's going to work right on a given carrier's network.
                    Bobby, 2G and 3G are all going away. The system will be 5G primarily, and 4G will be 5G's backup. If you have places that you automatically switch to internet then the 5G is replaced by 4G.I also live in a semi rural area, and a few days ago drove out west of me about 30 miles into a deeper rural area and 5G never even hickup'd. In fact it was so solid that even the areas hit by a tornado had 5G, and an occasional Speedtest check along the way showed about 640 megs data speed.. Pretty much all new phones are now equipped for 5G, 4G, 3G, and 2G. If you have the 5G activated in your phone you will give up 2 and 3G access. 5G's ultimate goal is 2 gig speed. But a lot of the supporting infrastructure has to be upgraded. Tens of thousands of 5G cell sites already in operation, but the upgrades to the support stuff will take a couple more years.

Comment

I realize 2G and 3G are going away. That's part of what T-Mobile says in its email notices. Still, my old Note 5 does pick up 4G signals. Nevertheless they say I have to change phones by March 31. Maybe that's because Sprint and T-Mobile never bothered to install enough 4G transmitters in my area to offer full coverage in that standard.

5G may work great in some areas, but overall it has yet to live up to the hype. Some of the hype sounds very similar to the BS I heard about 4G and the WiMax standard that turned out to be a ruinous gamble for Sprint. I see jokes about 5G similar to rabbit ear antennas for old TV sets. You'll get amazing 5G speeds if you're within 100 feet of the tower, hold the phone up high and stand on one leg. Good 5G coverage is still very spotty here in Oklahoma. Maybe after they shut off all the existing 2G & 3G broadcasts it's possible the carriers might get to work installing a proper number of big towers and countless thousands of small cell sites. Promises promises.

If the on-going supply chain issues don't derail Samsung's possible February release of the Galaxy S22 line of phones that might be a good time to upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Gulbrandsen View Post
                        As one who was recently hacked into I now have an Untangle Z4 firewall appliance and software that runs between the internet line coming in and the input to the router. It works great and it logs all sorts of events. It's also relatively inexpensive to buy.

https://www.untangle.com/untangle-ng...ll/appliances/
                        Curious. How were you hacked?

Comment

I have AT&T fiber here and I was hacked through that. It was after the hacking that I bought the Untangle device and software. My GF works from home and it happened to her first. It was the usual " Your computer has been a virus.. Please call this number and we can fix it for you. On my computer they knew I had a certain credit card. I had just paid the entire card off, had the email that said my account was paid up, yet I get another notice that I still owe 146.00. So I used my phone to log into my account. And of course it showed all paid up. So I changed both my log in name and password just to be safe. Nothing has happened since I put Untangle in. I used their software when I lived in Utah and no one ever hacked me there.

Comment

I realize 2G and 3G are going away. That's part of what T-Mobile says in its email notices. Still, my old Note 5 does pick up 4G signals. Nevertheless they say I have to change phones by March 31. Maybe that's because Sprint and T-Mobile never bothered to install enough 4G transmitters in my area to offer full coverage in that standard.

5G may work great in some areas, but overall it has yet to live up to the hype. Some of the hype sounds very similar to the BS I heard about 4G and the WiMax standard that turned out to be a ruinous gamble for Sprint. I see jokes about 5G similar to rabbit ear antennas for old TV sets. You'll get amazing 5G speeds if you're within 100 feet of the tower, hold the phone up high and stand on one leg. Good 5G coverage is still very spotty here in Oklahoma. Maybe after they shut off all the existing 2G & 3G broadcasts it's possible the carriers might get to work installing a proper number of big towers and countless thousands of small cell sites. Promises promises.

If the on-going supply chain issues don't derail Samsung's possible February release of the Galaxy S22 line of phones that might be a good time to upgrade.
                            Bobby, So far it has lived up to things like coverage, clairity of dialog, and although it's not quite up to speed it is still respectable for a brand new system. Coverage here is good and I have a nice signal at home. But of course the 5G is off because the WiFi is on. Anyway, the towers here are for the most part atop a decent size foot hill. But even in down town Nashville it doesn't ever default to 4G.

I had a Note 5 when I lived in Utah, was a great phone. But I will never own a phone that doesn't have a 2 day battery. I will be on day 3 of this battery tomorrow. It's still at 52%. My last phone was also a Motorola. My first one was too. I had one of those beige hand helds that had the full 3 watts of analog power back in 1989, Was probably the best phone I ever owned. You could pound in nails with that thing.... and I actually did!

Comment

The 5G speeds are somewhat dependent on distance to the tower but also highly dependent on the backhaul capacity of the tower. In South Florida on T-Mobile, if I use the ookla speedtest app I usually get over 200 mbps if I am connected to 5G. There have been times where I'm practically looking up at the tower and I'll get 500+ mbps. I think the fastest I've seen was 637.

In a small town where the backhaul appears to be microwave (based on the dish antennas on the tower), even across the street from the tower I max out below 300 mbps.

With T-Mobile, you will get different speeds depending on which 5G bands they use where you are. A lot of the rural coverage is "5G extended range" which is low frequency, lower bandwidth and therefore slower. The "5G ultra capacity" is mid-band (and mmWave in very few places) which is much higher speed. Based upon their coverage map, it looks like there is some of the "5G ultra capacity" coverage in Lawton. It looks like it might be a little spotty and it doesn't hold up well indoors if you aren't close to a tower.

Comment

Working...
                              X