Popping oil container

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popping oil container

What do you folks keep your popcorn popping oil in so you can dispense it as needed when making popcorn?

I just have a plastic pump that fits into the plastic jugs that the oil comes in, but the outfit that I buy the oil from changes their jug every few years (low bidder or something I guess) and I have to do some carving on one of the lids to make something that the pump will fit into. Then I'm good once again until the next time they change the jug.

Can't you just refill the oil into a suitable container that is fitting with the pump? That's probably the safest way to cope with future container changes.

- Carsten

Comment

I could but it's a bit messy to pour from one jug into another or else I have wash out a funnel or something. It's easy enough to just swap lids with the one that I have on my pump, except for the times that they decide to change the jug. Again.

Comment

We always used the type of oil that came in a barrel. It was always in solid form, so we would just scoop it into a measuring cup. It was a messy deal.

When we got our current popper (24 years ago), we went to the bag-in-box which uses the same kind of oil, but it's on a warming stand so it's always liquefied and the machine pumps it in. The concession kids don't have a clue how much more of a hassle it was for their predecessors.

Comment

We used to have the pumps for the 5 gallon cans of oil. Once we switched to the bag in box, we would just cut a corner of the bag and carefully dump it into the can. We did this up until about 5 years ago when we purchased the BIB pumps.

Comment

Pre-BiB days we'd get the 50lbs cans of oil and transfer the oil into one gallon plastic jugs that we would then use to dispense the oil. We had a pump at one time, but it was broken long before I got here. Replaced that popper when we remodeled 4 years ago. BiB is much more convenient.

Comment

sorry posted a new topic here by mistake.. I have removed content

Comment

What type of popper are you using?

Comment

My machine is a Pop Maxx. I just replaced it in November when my old Pop Maxx started wearing out after 15 years.

You can see the popping oil container and pump that I use on the left of the picture in http://www.film-tech.com/ubb/f5/t003232.html.

Comment

Working...
                  X