Nobody: An unfortunate title?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nobody: An unfortunate title?

I just got off the phone with a woman who said, "Is the theatre closed this weekend? Your answering machine message says that it's closed."

Well, no it isn't and no it doesn't. I know what that message says and it ain't that.

The light just came on.

"...And coming next is Nobody."

She probably thought that meant, and maybe even somehow heard, "coming next is nothing" so therefore the theatre is closed.

This won't be an issue past tonight since my message will change to "Now playing is Nobody starring Bob Odenkirk" so that makes it pretty clear that Nobody is the name of the movie and it's not nothing.

Reminds me of some years back when I played a romance called It's Complicated. I had umpteen telephone conversations that week that all went like this:

"What's playing?"
    "It's Complicated."
    "Oh. Well, can you just tell me the title?"

Reminds me of a trailer we had once, where the announcer said, "Coming this summer..... Disney's all new 32nd animated motion picture," but when you say it out loud, it sounds like the movie is only half a minute long!

Comment

Back in the early 70's there was a killer snake movie called Sssssssssssss. Needless to say, much confusion ensued.

Comment

In the 1970s I worked for a hotel that had a popular bar/night club. The bar manager booked a band called "No TV" and had that put on the marquee that was part of the hotel sign. People thought it meant the guest rooms did not have TVs.

Comment

With this title and an IMDB rating of 3.2 I have to ask, has anyone run this film?
          FART_The_Movie.jpg

Comment

Sounds like a gas...

Or a real stinker!

Comment

Let us just be thankful that the producers did not incorporate this technology: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smell-O-Vision

Comment

Originally posted by Ed Gordon View Post
                Let us just be thankful that the producers did not incorporate this technology: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smell-O-Vision
                ...or they could have used the Odorama cards employed for Polyester which featured a scratch-and-sniff fart.

According to wiki, "Waters expressed his delight at having the film's audiences actually 'pay to smell shit'".

Comment

Kind of a long story...

There was a movie named "$" that came out in 1971. (With Warren Beatty & Goldie Hawn)
                  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068152/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

When I was a kid, my family used to go out to the drive in movies with another family from New York state. Erie is only a short drive from the NY state line. Our two families used to take turns going to the movies in NY and PA.

I remember, one weekend, we all went out to the drive in. This time it was in NY.
                  The first feature had played. It was "$." At intermission time, all us kids ran to the playground. They had a really cool whirlygig. The kind where you sit and pump the handles to make it all go. If you got six kids on that thing, pumping for all they are worth, you can get that thing to really whirl!
                  Anyhow, I didn't want to play anymore so I went and asked my dad for money to go buy popcorn.

On the way to the popcorn stand, I walked by the booth. It was a hot, summer night. The booth door was open.
                  What kid like me could resist trying to peek in the booth door to see what was going on?

The guy in the booth saw me, let me in and showed me how the projector worked. I thought this was the coolest thing in the world!

I came back to the car with no popcorn and my dad was like, "Where's the money?" I gave it back to him and showed him a clip of movie film (from an old trailer) and a carbon stub. Dad hollered, "Where did you get those?" I told him the guy in the projector room gave them to me. He didn't believe me. He probably thought I stole them.

My dad marched me back to the projection booth to ask whether the guy really gave me those things. When Dad found out it was true, we got ANOTHER tour of the booth... One for me and one for Dad!

Years later... I was BS-ing on the old forums about this same experience when John Pytlak responded and said that he used to run a drive-in in NY state and he remembers giving a kid and his dad a tour of the booth.

Now, I don't know whether it really was John but the time lines seem to match up.

Anyhow, I still remember, to this day, and that experience is one of the main reasons why I love working on movie projectors.

It, very well, could be that John was the guy who started it all for me!

I remember, very clearly, the image on the scrap of film I got showed Goldie Hawn and Warren Beatty holding up a big fan of money.

Comment

Working...
                  X