Oracle Linux 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle Linux 8

I know that many of you folks use Linux of one form or another. I don't know if anyone uses Centos. Based in comments here I get the impression that most of you use Ubuntu. I use Centos for, well, everything.

Unfortunately, Centos seems to be going down the road of the less reliable after the end of this year by changing from its current form of being an exact copy of Red Hat Enterprise Linux and becoming a sort of a final-stage beta test version of RHEL instead.

I've been looking for alternatives, as have a great many other folks who use Centos.

I set up a laptop yesterday with Oracle Linux 8. I used "real" epel with it since I've discovered that at least a few things are missing from Oracle's epel.

After I got everything installed and set up I had exactly the same thing that I would have had if I had installed Centos 8 on it.

I have a bash script that I use to install some rpms and delete others to turn a stock installation into my customized setup. And even that worked exactly as expected.

Oracle provides what they call the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel, as well as the stock Redhat kernel and you get a choice of which one you want to use. I haven't done anything with the UEK to find out what benefit it provides for anything that I might actually want to be doing but it's something to play with I guess.

Just like Centos, Oracle Linux is free to download and free to update. The installer looks and works just like the Centos installer. It doesn't phone home or demand registration or do anything nefarious at all.

The easiest way to get an ISO image that you can install from is here: http://yum.oracle.com/oracle-linux-isos.html

I don't yet know if I'm going to stick with Oracle for my future projects but in this case I got exactly what I expected and wanted out of it so I certainly can't complain about the result.

However, it seems to work as expected and Oracle even provides a handy script to convert an existing Centos installation to Oracle.

OK, that's interesting! I started with Red Hat when it was distributed on 3.5 inch floppy discs. Then went to Fedora, and have been using Centos for 10 years or so. I had always thought Fedora was the development platform for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and Centos was a clone of RHEL. But then Red Hat took over Centos. So far Centos is serving me well. It is a real pain for me to make a change since there are so many configuration files (and these often need to be changed when changing distributions or even going to a new version) plus a BUNCH of other customized stuff I've added over the past 25 years...

Harold

Comment

My go-to distribution has been Debian for years now, but I don't consider it a good distribution for general desktop use, so we deploy it primarily on servers, mostly VMs nowadays. My go-to Linux for desktop is Ubuntu. It's based on Debian, uses the same APT package manager and generally comes with more recent kernels and hence better desktop support.

Debian has been the base for many other distributions, not just Ubuntu, but also stuff like Raspbian, Mint, PureOS and stuff like VyOS (targeted at stuff like routers), so I guess it has something going for it.

I've never really been a Red Hat fan, this is probably due to my early experiences with it. I remember getting stuck with many broken RPM packages and hours worth of efforts trying to fix broken dependencies.

My days of endless tinkering are long gone, I'm pretty pragmatic nowadays, so I want stuff that works out of the box. Both Debian and Ubuntu are widely accepted distributions and you can even buy Ubuntu-certified hardware nowadays. So, if you want to switch distributions, I'd say just give both a try.

Regarding Oracle's Unbreakable Linux: I'd never trust anything with Larry Ellison's name on it with a 300ft. pole... Everything this guy does is one big bait-and-switch tactic. I've seen the Oracle hyenas waltzing over businesses that fell into their flytrap more than once now. The only "unbreakable" about their Linux is their marketing campaign. Remember what they did to OpenOffice, MySQL and that they only bought Sun, so they could sue Google for their "misuse" of Java. Or what about the Java runtimes for Windows that were suddenly spiked with ad- and other crapware? I could go on for hours... So please, never forget: Oracle is evil, to the core.

Comment

One
        Rich
        Asshole
        Called
        Larry
        Ellison

Comment

Yeah, that guy. Like Tony Stark, but without the cool stuff.
          Anyways... if you still want to get a taste of the dark side, let us know how the cookies tasted.

Comment

Working...
          X