No announcement yet.

Windows 10 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are some on-line conversion tools like Convertio that can get the job done without installing specific software. Keep in mind though, that those fonts will most likely never be entirely the same. Kerning problems and problems with minor details because splines are calculated differently will probably always crop up.

Comment

I'm not going to use anything like that. I wish FontLab Studio did direct conversions (I have a copy of that application), but it doesn't. I'll probably have a use a copy of Crossfont or FontLab's TransType application to get the job done right.

Comment

Are you familiar with https://fontforge.org/en-US/?

I've never used it and don't know anything about it but it's apparently a well regarded tool for doing font type conversions. It might be worth your while to look at it; maybe it's up to doing the job that you have there.

Comment

FontForge is also used as the back-end of many of those on-line conversion tools. It isn't all that bad, but like I said, I have seen some issues with font conversions. It's a bit like converting a Word document into a LibreOffice document. I've heard about Crossfont, but I know that TransType and FontLab's font editor are generally well-regarded in the industry to do font conversions. Those graphical types are very particular about their fonts. I think it's almost 25 years ago, but I followed a few lessons in Typography back then. Most of it I have since forgotten, but designing fonts is almost like some dark magic.

Comment

Will the still available unadvertised free Windows 10 upgrade work with a laptop running Windows 7 Professional? If so, will the upgrade be to Windows 10 Professional? Thank you, Paul Finn

Comment

Yes, it maintains you at the same level you were before (home-> home, pro->pro). So far, the "free" upgrade seems to work fine.

Comment

Working...
              X