Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disney drops 'Fox' name and will rebrand its movie studio as '20th Century'

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/17/media...and/index.html

new York (CNN Business)20th Century Fox is an icon of Hollywood history. Its epic fanfare title card has appeared in front of "The Sound of Music," "Star Wars" and other major films over the past 85 years. But in 2020, that name is going to change. Disney (DIS) is dropping the "Fox" name from its "20th Century Fox" brand, renaming the longtime studio as just "20th Century Studios." Its art house production company, Fox Searchlight, will now be known as "Searchlight Pictures."
    Disney closed a $71 billion deal to acquire the studio and other Fox assets last year. The iconic logo, title card and its fanfare will stay the same, minus the name "Fox.'
    The new branding will first been seen on Searchlight Pictures' "Downhill," a drama/comedy starring Will Ferrell and Julia Louis-Dreyfus, which hits theaters on February 14. "The Call of the Wild," an adventure film starring Harrison Ford, will be the first film with the 20th Century Studios name, when it hits theaters on February 21.
    I find this interesting since the 20th century has actually been over for twenty years....

If memory serves me, 20th Century Fox was created by the merger of 20th Century Pictures with the Fox Film Corp originally found and headed by William Fox. This happened in the late 1920's, or maybe the early 1930's. Everything old is new again.

Comment

The merger was in 1935, but had its origins almost a decade earlier. William Fox tried to buy MGM in 1929, using the crap ton of money he made out of the Movietone sound system. However, the attempt triggered political opposition (an antitrust investigation and lawsuit instigated by his business rivals' lobbying), and he was seriously hit by the Wall Street Crash. As a result of this, Fox lost control of his company to a hostile takeover by a consortium of investors, who later merged it with Twentieth Century Pictures in 1935. It remained an independent company until News International (the Murdochs) bought it in 1985, and I believe that it has changed hands again between then and the Disney takeover.

I played some movie or other at a festival a couple of years ago, the opening logo of which announced the production company to be "21st Century Skunk," complete with a logo that is clearly a parody of the TCF one. Now that Disney owns the official version, I wonder if these guys can expect a cease-and-desist letter...

Comment

"20th Century" sounds like something is missing, I'd rather named it something like "20th Century Pictures", but who am I?

I guess they decided to drop the FOX part, to avoid confusion with the Fox Corporation, which is also owner of the Fox News channel and still owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.
        Last edited by Marcel Birgelen; 01-17-2020, 04:22 PM. Reason: Added a suggestion for a "better" sounding name.

Comment

Some sites are reporting that the move is meant to disassociate the studio from the Fox properties still being controlled by Rupert Murdoch. Sad for the ghost of William Fox and his descendants, probably a good move otherwise.

Comment

Some sites are reporting that the move is meant to disassociate the studio from the Fox properties
            I kind of figured that was the case.... Disney probably hates Fox News especially. The way people take things for granted and/or misconstrue things these days, it's not a surprising move.

Comment

Even though I knew intellectually that 20th Century Fox was controlled by the Murdochs, I never associated any bad feelings to it just because the Murdochs also owned Fox News and the NY Post. I have to wonder whether this was an internal discussion at Disney based on "feelings" or whether they actually did some research to see whether this bothered people. In half the country, an association with Fox would probably be considered a positive thing.

It seems to me this should have been part of the acquisition discussion and since Disney paid so much for 20th C Fox, they should have gotten the name and the Murdochs should have had to change the name of the parts of the company they were keeping, which I thought had already been changed to 21st Century Fox anyway.

When they change the logo on the first six Star Wars films, the Star Wars fans are going to freak out.

My personal opinion has always been that films should retain their original logos, but a new logo snipe can be placed before it.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcel Birgelen View Post
                "20th Century" sounds like something is missing, I'd rather named it something like "20th Century Pictures", but who am I?

I guess they decided to drop the FOX part, to avoid confusion with the Fox Corporation, which is also owner of the Fox News channel and still owned by Rupert Murdoch's News Corp.
                It's going to be "20th Century Studios"

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Brooks
                  My personal opinion has always been that films should retain their original logos, but a new logo snipe can be placed before it.
                  I wouldn't be surprised if Weinstein's logo disappears from the opening credits of his movies on consumer media going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if Weinstein's logo disappears from the opening credits of his movies on consumer media going forward.
                    In that case, I think it will definitely be removed even though it also referred to his brother.

I guess it really only only bothers me when it’s changed on films by the old line studios. Most current films open with eight different logos from all the production and finance companies involved, so it seems less important. Sometimes the beginning of a film seems like a logo demo reel. Happens on trailers as well.

Comment

That's OK, but I hate it when it's the same studio. Universal does this.... they put the modern looking Universal logo on, then right after it comes the original Universal logo on the film. It just looks dopey and out of place on an older movie.

I agree about the Star Wars fans going apeshit if Disney removes the logo from the older films.... whatever will they do?

I just hope they keep the fanfare, but they seem to not really care too much about legacy when it's not their own legacy.

Comment

I'm not a great fan of post-revisionism. Those logos had their place in time. Even the Weinstein Company logo. So, removing and/or replacing them is altering the way those movies were originally presented. Also, I think that the 20th Century Fox fanfare is still one of the better opening logos of all of them, especially the newer versions. They build quite some anticipation for what's going to follow.

I think the current trend of having 20 logos slapped onto the beginning of a movie, combined with them often all being repeated in the opening credits is also quite stupid and totally besides the point. Almost nobody is going to remember those one-hit companies anyway.

Comment

So let's see, they are revising the logo and KEEPING Twentieth Century in the name -- calling attention to the fact that what? that they are stuck in a past millennium? I am totally against revisionism as well and was really worry that when we stepped into 2000, that Fox would decide to just come up with a new name and new logo altogether and drop the venerable name and even more importantly, the Newman extended CinemaScope music, given the dilemma the company obviously had to confront, that of now calling themselves something from a bygone era...it would be akin if they decided to call themselves 18th Century Studios. It pained me that in the late 60s when they dropped CinemaScope (NEVER thought they should have done that, no matter who made the anamorphics) and that music (there isn't a human being on the planet that doesn't recognize the music within the first three drum rolls) but was really happy when they relented and brought it back for STAR WARS.

I have no problem having them change the studio name going forward to whatever they like, but just leave history in tact.

Comment

I can sort of understand why Disney would want to drop the "Fox" name from "20th Century Pictures." But they really really must understand there is one hell of a LOT of BRAND EQUITY in the 20th Century Fox logo. Even if it is an old-fashioned, very dated design. That logo is nearly the Coca-Cola of movie studio logos (one could make an argument the MGM emblem is the most iconic studio logo). The Coca-Cola script has changed very little in over 100 years. The 20th Century Fox logo has seen only subtle changes over the decades, not a complete, fundamental brand re-fresh. Disney will pretty much be hard-bound to make any "20th Century Pictures" logo look very similar to the previous 20th Century Fox logo. They should also keep the familiar fanfare music. No other studio theme music is anywhere near as recognizable as the Fox Fanfare theme.

Also, I agree with others who say Disney should retain the original 20th Century Fox openings on that studio's library of films. Generally I think all movie studios should do this when acquiring the catalogs of defunct studios and production companies. It is indeed historical revisionism to remove that stuff. I couldn't stand Cannon Pictures back in the 1980's for the big pile of deliberately shitty movies they made, but I wouldn't remove the Cannon logo off the front of one of their rare good movies, like Runaway Train or 52 Pick-Up.

All the original Star Wars episodes should retain the 20th Century Fox logo, Lucasfilm Ltd logo and the complete fanfare music. [i]Plus Disney really needs to release "de-specialized" versions of the original trilogy. Maybe there's a chance they'll do it when Star Wars turns 50 seven years from now.

Originally posted by Frank Angel
                            It pained me that in the late 60s when they dropped CinemaScope (NEVER thought they should have done that, no matter who made the anamorphics) and that music (there isn't a human being on the planet that doesn't recognize the music within the first three drum rolls) but was really happy when they relented and brought it back for STAR WARS.
                            The original Fox Fanfare was just the shorter version. The arrival of CinemaScope brought about the added bars of "CinemaScope Extension" music. Star Wars did sort of revive the added theme in 1977. But 20th Century Fox was never very consistent how the longer theme was applied to various movie releases. IIRC, Alien a couple years later merely had the shorter, original Fox Fanfare theme.

IMHO the extended Fox Fanfare never sounded better than it did on the front of Die Hard. It thumped HARD in 70mm at the Baronet theater in NYC.

Comment

CinemaScope was not just an evolution, but an epic revolution in the industry; it was a change that was so fundamental to the way films were conceived and shown, that we never went back. Even when films were still shot spherically, movie-makers and the moviegoing public never wanted to see an Academy ratio again. Once the more than twice the width of the 1.37:1 screen was installed, no one was going to tolerate a square image any more. And even though we were still saddled with a square 35mm frame, both filmmakers and exhibitors were going to crop the hell out of it until it's WIDE.

Zanuck knew what he was doing when he first saw Cinerama and the lines that wound around the block for every show and said, "I want me some of that BO!" Then he locked his R&D techs to a room and wouldn't let them out until they got him wide screen (with a curve, no less) and stereophonic sound and btw, it's gotta be easy for the exhibitors to implement it -- none of this Cinerama crap where they need three booths and a five man crew to run it. Zanuck wanted it to be something exhibitors would install and run without breaking the bank.

Amazingly, Fox was able to pull it off -- an astonishing feat, IMHO. AND they got an entire industry to go along with them...THAT's the miracle! Why they would then give up claim to that achievement just because Panavision came along with their albeit better lenses was always a mystery to me. The aspect ratio of 2.55, er... 2.35, uh...2.39, mm...2.40 (pick a damn number SMPTE) -to-one -- that was what CinemaScope meant to the general public. Fox developed the process, made it a household name and owned the name; they could have still used it on any of their releases that were shot anamorphically. Hell, we STILL call it 'Scope. Sure, they could have toned down the emphasis a bit (early on, the CinemaScope logo was the same point size as the film's title...sometimes even bigger and sometimes even placed ABOVE the title; no need for that, but keeping reference to the name of the granddaddy of all 35mm wide screen processes and the fact that their company had the vision to make that move despite how risky it was, could have and I think should have, carried on long after they abandoned it.

The power of the name was so real that every other studio used it even though they had to give Fox credit. When I ran MR. ROBERTS, I remember thinking how Jack Warner must have had to grit his teeth and bite the bullet when I saw right after the title in the opening credits, there was the CinemaScope logo frame (a stand-lone frame) and it had the line, yes in very small point size, but there nonetheless, that said,The CinemaScope logo is a Trademark of Twentieth Century Fox. Warners was willing to eat that bit of humble pie just to be able to use that powerful moniker. Respect for history...respect for legacy; something we hold in too little regard.

Comment

Working...
                              X