Not Enough Marquee Letters Eyes Of Tammy Faye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not Enough Marquee Letters Eyes Of Tammy Faye

Now I have heard It all. We went to see the new movie Eyes Of Tammy Faye on Sat Sept 25 1 PM in Scotts Valley CA at the nice Cinelux Scotts Valley Cinema near Santa Cruz CA. I enjoyed the movie and thought Jessica did a great job playing Tammy Faye.

What was strange the movie just opened Friday and they had every other movie old and new listed on their two sided lighted plastic letter marquee but no wording for Tammy Faye?

I asked the popcorn manager and he told me he did not have enough letters to put up 'The Eyes Of Tammy Faye'. At least he could have put up 'Tammy Faye' . Maybe he did not want to offend the Christian people in town?

With many older religious movie goers in Scotts Valley that watched Tammy & Jim Baker PTL / 700 Club on TV many years ago and probably gave them money they have no idea this new movie is playing inside by driving by the outdoor sign. Many don't go on the internet to see what is playing. As a result only 4 people were inside the large auditorium theatre #8 for the Saturday1 PM showing. I told many of my senior friends about the movie playing in Scotts Valley and they did not have a clue It was now playing and now want to see It.

I texted the owner Paul about this problem and he has not gotten back to me yet.

This movie is not doing well at the boxoffice the past week around the USA because of things like this going on. ,Many young people have no idea who 'Tammy' was and are just interested in seeing the latest Marvel or violent R type action movies on the big screen. Or It may be the fear that many people still have about going to a movie theatre with a large crowd and catching Covid?

Tell some of your brave senior or younger friends about the new Tammy film most will enjoy It!

Oscar time you will see this movie up for acting awards.

We saw a movie years ago at a theater in Berkeley CA. The movie had a strange start time like 7:32 pm. They explained that they ran out of zeroes.

Comment

There was a theatre many years ago in suburban New Jersey that was allowed to go to seed, and many marquee letters blew away and were lost. The last owners were close to closing it and wouldn't buy anymore, so the staff had to resort to drastic truncations to put anything up. Thing is, by the time the end came nobody could figure out what the hell was showing just by looking at the marquee.

Rte 17 BO smaller.jpeg

Comment

We're doing ok by COVID standards, and kicking the ass of AMC which is also showing it. The audience for this is old white women, real dawn of the dead who won't go out to AMC. That's our audience.
        Strangely enough, a letter fell off of our marquee sometime between last night and today.
        I thought the movie was pretty shallow Oscar bait, but the audience loves it.

Comment

Well, it's good to see that a small independent is kicking the local multiplex's ass. Not that I want them to rot, but I'd rather see the small and independent exhibitors survive this pandemic than those soulless mega-corportations.

Originally posted by Mark Ogden View Post
          There was a theatre many years ago in suburban New Jersey that was allowed to go to seed, and many marquee letters blew away and were lost. The last owners were close to closing it and wouldn't buy anymore, so the staff had to resort to drastic truncations to put anything up. Thing is, by the time the end came nobody could figure out what the hell was showing just by looking at the marquee.
          Interesting little puzzle, but I guess I figured it out. The picture was probably taken somewhere in 2005:

A Sound of Thunder - rated PG-13
          The Cave - rated PG-13
          Sky High - rated PG
          The Brothers Grimm - rated PG-13

Comment

It's hard to imagine a movie theater going to that sort of tactic to "non-promote" a movie. That could get the manager in big trouble with the corporate overlords.

Maybe the issue was space on the marquee and they left off the title that was grossing the least?

I looked at the Cinelux website and the movie IS featured there.

Comment

Paul the owner of Cinelux got back to me and told me he has letters coming on back order for the Scotts Valley Cinema.

Comment

Thank you Mark for that picture of Century’s Paramus Theatre. I have fond memories of that location. Before RKO got their paws on it, it was a huge single screen with a balcony and 70mm capability. After RKO Stanley Warner Theatres took over, they chopped it up into 2 and later 4 auditoriums it fell into disrepair. What you can’t see in the picture is that it sat in a free standing building in the parking lot of the Garden State Plaza, one of the largest shopping malls in northern New Jersey. The building was torn down at some point after it closed. Now days there is an AMC megaplex inside the mall.

Century Theatres on the East Coast was a small circuit from at least the early 1960’s through the 1980’s. I do not believe it is related to the Century Theatres that existed in the western USA.
                Last edited by Mitchell Dvoskin; 09-28-2021, 10:34 AM.

Comment

If this were the case, the manager doen't know his business. Getting any group riled up and protesting a movie is a sure fire way to guarantee big audiences. You let the objectors publicize the film. Even if there may not be a lot of interest in a film, if there is a lots of controversy over it, a good chunk of people will want to plunk money down just to see what all the fuss is about!

Comment

13886870_2057722421120129_3625881582820310368_n.jpg
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Randy Stankey; 09-29-2021, 11:56 AM.

Comment

While that McDonald's sign is pretty funny there are little things that hint it might really be a Photoshop job. Also, if that sign is real it sure is a non-standard McDonald's sign. I can't recall seeing golden arches signs where the McDonald's lettering in the red trapezoid was replaced with a Wagner Zip Change board. Normally reader boards are in smaller cabinets separate from the main sign cabinet.

Originally posted by Mark Ogden
                      That's a shame the owners were too cheap to buy some new slotted letters. They could have done some price shopping. Even now in this age of LED variable message displays it's still possible to be slotted, dimensional letters for changeable copy boards with rails. Wagner and Gemini both make them in a variety of sizes. There are also some lesser-brand makes.

Originally posted by Terry Monohan
                      Paul the owner of Cinelux got back to me and told me he has letters coming on back order for the Scotts Valley Cinema.
                      I hope he doesn't have to wait too long. The sign company where I work has been dealing with delays for all kinds of things. Everything from big LED displays down to rolls of colored vinyl or banner material have all had back order problems. We have to spend a lot more time pricing jobs because none of the prices for materials like steel, aluminum, plastics, etc are stable. We have to call suppliers for current prices rather than look in our pricing books. It's really frustrating how the pricing and availability for things is so volatile. And we have fuel prices going up for good measure. So that will inch up our service and installation prices.

Comment

That McD sign might be a fake. Searching Google for “Hiring All Shits” produced a lot of pics that were obviously fake. I just picked one that looked the least fake. It was more the joke that I was going for instead of perfect realism.

There was one faked McD sign that said, “Now hiring smiling feces…All shits $12”

Comment

Working...
                        X