Random photos, comics, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Randy Stankey
    There used to be such a thing as a “fire grenade” which was a glass ball filled with carbon tetrachloride that a person could throw at a fire...
    And carbon tet is a politically incorrect greenhouse gas, too, isn't it? I believe that was why it was banned for use in archival and lab ultrasonic film cleaners. 1,1,1,trichloroethane followed it, then that became politically incorrect as well, and most of these machines now use perc.

As for throwing extinguishers at fires, it reminds me of a story I was once told about a fire at an airport terminal building in Saudi Arabia in the '90s. Firefighters arrived to find the building a blackened shell. Strewn around the floor was a bunch of fire extinguishers. They were all charred and blackened, but undischarged. Eyewitnesses reported airport staff repeatedly squeezing the trigger with no success, and then, in desperation, simply throwing the entire unit into the fire. The instructions on the extinguishers were in English, no-one who grabbed hold of one was able to read English, and therefore no-one knew, or were able to figure out, that they had to pull the safety pin out first. When the first person threw his extinguisher, the others immediately followed his lead.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post
      And carbon tet is a politically incorrect greenhouse gas, too, isn't it? I believe that was why it was banned for use in archival and lab ultrasonic film cleaners. 1,1,1,trichloroethane followed it, then that became politically incorrect as well, and most of these machines now use perc..
      Halon 104 was internationally banned because in certain conditions it can work like a nerve agent. Also, it has a tendency to deplete the ozone in the ozone layer. There are a few legacy exceptions where tetrachloride can still be used, like aviation.

My father worked for Air Traffic Control for quite a while and they were happy to get rid of their Halon 104 system. If you need to keep a room full of people functioning, the best solution is to avoid a fire whenever possible. A good "Very Early Smoke Detection" system together with a bunch of trained people on-guard 24/7, who use specialized extinguishers seems to be more compatible with a large room filled with humans than filling it with a potential nerve agent or some other gas that's designed to draw the oxygen out of the room...

Comment

I once worked in an archive facility that had a Halon system. Halon was used because it was about the only method of fire suppression that would not cause additional damage to the films and tapes in the vault. We were trained that if we heard the alarm and saw the strobes, we had 30 seconds either to get out of the vault, or to press one of the large red buttons on the wall, that would stop the Halon from being discharged. For obvious reasons, I memorized the locations of all of them. The far end of one of the vault buildings was more than a 30-second run from the exit.

Comment

There are so many things wrong about CCl4 that it isn’t funny.

It is acutely toxic via inhalation, ingestion or absorption.
          It is systemically toxic, causing permanent liver and kidney damage.
          Its effects might not be known for 24 to 48 hrs. after exposure.
          It synergizes with alcohol and other drugs.
          It is carcinogenic and is suspected of causing immune system depression.
          It is ozone depleting with a lifetime in the environment up to 80 years.
          One of its main decomposition products is phosgene.
          Its exposure threshold is significantly lower than it’s detection threshold so that means it can start affecting you before you can even smell it.

Almost all of its uses have been replaced with other chemicals that work at least as well so, except for a few laboratory uses or industrial processes that specifically call for it, there is virtually no good reason to even keep it around.

Comment

It sounds like the sort of stuff that California will shortly legalize for recreational use.

Comment

Originally posted by Leo Enticknap View Post
              Some of the world's worst album covers (according to the author of the collection of these images, and it's hard to imagine much worse):

image_320.jpg
              rolf.jpg

For those who are unaware, Harris was a popular entertainer on British children's TV during the 1970s and '80s, who, in retirement many years later, was discovered to have been a prolific pedophile and sent to jail.
              Other than the obvious entendre of the name, looks like someone WAS crucified as there is a trio on the cover, hmmmmm.... : dickhandler.jpg

Comment

1902209.gif

Comment

downspout.png

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Cox View Post
                    As George Takei would say. "Ohhh my..."

Speaking of George, he and Bill Shatner have had a long standing (mainly one-sided) feud, and here's what George said to Shatner at Bill's Comedy Central Roast: (Warning, NSFW, you may have to sign in on YouTube as it is age restricted)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO-GlOBh6rU

I have met both of them when I was in the industry, George and his partner at the Laemmle Grande when I was a projectionist, and Bill when I was working doing screening rooms. Both were quite polite and nice when I met them, I had no idea their feud (at least in George's view) was so intense.

Last edited by Tony Bandiera Jr; 10-10-2020, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Another Bad Album Cover, and I didn't get any royalties from the song, dammit:
                      5_25_10_07_5_17_09e.jpg

My ex boyfriend did agree that my nuts were hot, however.

Comment

201016202520-01-opinion-weekly-column-1016-exlarge-169-1.jpg

Comment

The cat (on the My Pussy Belongs to Daddy album cover) looks absolutely terrified, and I suspect that (s)he was digging his or her foreclaws deeping into the flesh of the singer. I'm surprised that she was able to maintain that smile!

Comment

20201019_113704.jpg
                            I just saw this on one of the community notice boards.

That purple colour really jumps out and hits you in the eye.

We're having a municipal election in about a week and a prankster is apparently taking advantage of the opportunity.

Comment

Someone at the shipping company appears to have been having a bad day:

f_you.PNG

Comment

I came along this picture, which I wanted to call "Multiplex Dystopia". Long, empty hallways filled with nothing, leading to rooms, filled with mostly nothing.

Still wondering what movie is playing at the end of the hallway though...
                                "A large house made of concrete, surrounded by asphalt. The house is filled with many rooms, each alike. But they are occupied by different souls... night... after night..."

Comment

Working...
                                X